Help? Advice? Clonazepam & codeine......

[Br...]

Hi

Hope this is not an inappropriate place to post........... if so - I apologise.

Introduced myself in the new members area.

I need to get off my painkillers before I can address the problem of benzo withdrawal.

I have visited overcount etc but dont want to spend months doing an opiate taper first - I dont think its necessary (for me) - I want to attempt a rapid withdrawal but keep functioning - therefore cannot simply stop.  Too harsh.  Have spoken to my local chemist about this - his advice is rapid taper of the pain pills.

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Anyone willing to give advice?

Would be appreciated.

Bruce

[e9...]

Hi Bruce, welcome to Benzobuddies.

16 months ago I had to withdraw from a long term daily intake of about 150-180mg codeine as well as a high benzo dose.

I actually did a cold turkey off both medications.  After about 7 days I had to reinstate the benzos because I was so very ill.  :wacko: As soon as I reinstated on Valium I felt much better, I didnt have to reinstate the codeine.  In my experience the opiate withdrawal was a walk in the park compared to withdrawing from a benzo.  Yes I did have some withdrawal symptoms, I was dry retching, sweating, with acute muscle pain and heaviness for about 5 days.  After I got past the 5 days, I then went into a full blown cold turkey benzo withdrawal which was horrific, but the opiate withdrawal symptoms had passed by then.

Yes I believe you would go through some uncomfortable symptoms, but coming off the opiates in two weeks sounds perfectly doable to me.  The benzo is a completely different matter of course, and can only be done slowly and carefully.

Vicky   :)

Thanks for that Vicky.

Dont want to do a c/t of the codeine - I have to carry on working etc - but I think I could do a rapid taper........... I really really want to get down to the business of getting off the clonazepam.  And I do know that it will be a very long process - I am just annoyed that I have this problem with codeine to deal with........

Thanks for the encouragement.

Bruce

Good Luck Bruce on your taper from codeine.  It may have already been recommended to you but have you read Dr. Heather Ashton's work (she's a world class benzo expert) at http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm.  That's where I first learned all about the serious effects and proper withdrawal of benzos. 

Just keep us updated, keep asking questions, and hang in there! ;)

Maggie :)

Hi Maggie

Yes - I have downloaded and printed out the Ashton Manual.  I think I understand what might lie ahead.  If only I had known when the doc first prescribed........... personally I think its nothing short of negligence on his part.  I may tell him that too.

Maybe all docs should be prescribed a benzo for 6 months and then go thro a withdrawal - part of their medical training??  :wacko:

Anyway - I know that if I am lucky I might be free by Christmas - from benzos.  But for now - I have to get off the pain killers - and I am really in the dark with this - just going to try to reduce - see what happens........

Bruce