Please help: Question for dp and dr

Hi,

I am still struggling with depersonalization and derealization.  I was writing to ask about Benadryl or anything with diphenhydramine in it.  I know for some it revves up their withdrawal symptoms more but I was wondering if anyone has taken this and it has actually helped them and helped their depersonalization and derealization more specifically?  These are my most problem symptoms that I am experiencing and would like to know if the med helped them at all.  I know that this med can help with anxiety so was wondering if it helped with anxiety then can it help with the dp and the dr.

Also, if anyone who reads this has been low on b12 and/or vitamin d and got those levels up and it helped the withdrawal please let me know as well if you don't mind.  I have been low on b12 and vitamin d but so afraid to take them as I know sometimes it can rev up symptoms and it is hard to tell how much of it is the vitamin deficiency or the withdrawal still.

Thanks so much and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cala Lily

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Cala Lily - about my most favorite flower  ;)

I have experience with all three issues you raise. So while I'm not giving advice, I will tell you I have taken Vistaril throughout my taper, starting at a fairly high dose that helped with anxiety and DR/DP (about 150 mg) and now take 25 mg only at night when I can't sleep.

I have an ongoing vitamin D deficiency. Supplementing has brought levels up to 45 from a low of 7. Bone pain is much improved.

The vitamin B12 is new for me in the last month. I read a book about it, got tested and was below the 500 mark, which most experts are now saying is too low. My doctor won't give me an injection because he isn't up on the newest research. But I am supplementing with sublingual tablets up to 3 times a day.

If your B12 is low and you know for sure it is, please see your doctor about it. Low Vitamin B12 is dangerous. It is imperative you don't let levels get too low and far outweighs and possible revving of symptoms. It is life and brain threatening.

Flip

Hi,

I can sadly relate. I was talking to my mother this morning and she became "unreal", I couldn't parse her face or tell what she was saying. The peak derealization passed and now I'm in the gray zone. I also get it while driving and it is terrifying. At night it is so bad I can't drive anymore.

I can only hope this will pass and my brain will figure the world out. I also get dizziness and vertigo which are incredibly disabling. It is really staggering when one appreciates all the ways benzo wd messes up your life.

I have not discovered anything that really helps, though I do take benadryl from time to time. I know some people think oral GABA helps. It does not cross the blood-brain barrier, but perhaps it helps chill the body and parasympathetically calms the mind. I have been meaning to try it despite the consensus that it does not work. I mean even a 10% reduction in sx would be welcome right??

-M

Hello

I have to take monthly b12 shots for life because of an inability to absorb the vitamin naturally and therefore a deficiency

I had my last shot a few days before I started tapering and didn't notice any negative effects, then again I am still on pretty high dosages of Valium

I am due for my monthly shot again in a week or so.

I am praying that it doesn't rev up my sx as I get lower but compared to the damage that very low levels can cause I really have no choice

Goodluck with everything! :)