Ativan to Valium switch

[ma...]

Hello,

I guess my story is similar to many on here about struggling with benzo withdrawals and finding a good plan and solid starting point for a successful taper.  I am currently taking 2mg of Ativan tid, and even at this dose I am struggling.  I was doing a slow taper off of Ativan, and ran into problems when I followed a doctor's advice with some supplements that cleansed my liver (and my ativan).  This sent me into withdrawal symptoms for days, so I decided to go back to 2mg tid which has always been the point where I stablize.  I will not go above this amount.  Anyway, I have been back at this amount for several days and I am still struggling with what seems like withdrawal symptoms, especially tween dosage times.  I am really tired of trying these tapers with ativan because of the short half life, and feel like that if I could successfully switch to valium that my taper would be more likely to succeed.  I have read the ashton suggestion on how to switch over and I guess I was just wondering if that is the best way to do it?  And if so, will a doctor prescribe both medicines for awhile?  I tried a direct switch one time when I was taking 1.5mg tid, and doctor told me to take 5mg tid of valium, which is not nearly enough I've now found out.  Any suggestions on how to best stabilize from here, get to valium, and begin a slow taper would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I don't know if I can really add anything other than to say that I'm happy to have made the crossover from ativan to valium as it just feels more stable through the day.  I found the ashton numbers for valium equiv to be too high for me.  I found that 0.5mg of ativan was worth about 2.5mg valium for me.  I'm just more sensitive to valium and I'm not sure why.  It took a week for me to stabilize at 2.5mg valium though I still have symptoms.

I'd follow any advice suggesting to keep a little ativan going as you switch over to the valium and at your dosage I don't think 5mg of valium would do justice at your current 2mg of ativan.  I wouldn't know what to recommend in your case. Two doses of valium a day and one of ativan?  I'll let others answer.

I really prefer the valium method for tapering the ativan so good luck with it.

My doc tried to switch me over to valium from lorazepam...I started to go through withdrawal.  It was not an equivalent dose. 

After several weeks of interdose withdrawal from lorazepam..I had enough!  I couldn't take it anymore..finally got switched over to clonazepam on Saturday.  The interdose withdrawals are gone!  With the lorazepam I had to take my pills 4 times a day and was still having interdose withdrawals.  Since I switched to clonazepam I only take 2 pills a day and am taking 1/3 of the dose prescribed.

I feel like I am finally normal and could handle the tapering process well.  Oh..and I did a direct cross over.  I did feel a little uncomfortable with the first dose of clonazepam, just because it takes a little longer to work than lorazepam.  It was only uncomfortable for 2 hours. 

I would definately suggest switching over to a longer acting med...you will be so relieved to not be worrying about taking pills 4 times a day.  Like I said I switched over on Saturday...After my first morning pill today I didn't think about pills all day long.  Had to remind my self to take my pill tonight...wasn't even on my mind.  What a change! 

Good luck..keep us updated.

I think I have decided to try to do a liquid withdrawal down to a lower dose before doing a switch.  I'm really afraid of not doing the crossover right and going through more hardships, and not knowing exactly what is wrong (you know which drug isn't working right, or what is the right dose for me).  It will be very hard I'm sure, but if I could get down to 1mg of ativan tid via a very slow withdrawal with a liquid titration, then the switch following ashton's manual looks much more simple.  My problem with trying it as described with 2mg tid dosing is that there is a point where you are actually cutting the ativan while still in the crossover, and I feel uncomfortable doing that.  If something goes wrong, how will I know what to do?  Which medicine is not holding up it's end of the bargain?  Do you know anyone that did an ashton crossover from 2mg tid to valium successfully?

Thanks

[eb...]

I wonder if others have had issues with the approximation of dosage between Ativan and Valium?

I am planning on going from .5 Ativan to 5 Valium in a few weeks, in hopes of having a more graceful taper on Valium. I would sure hate to find that the Valium seems stronger, it would feel like a setback!

But then, maybe there is no accounting for these personal variations and the 1:10 ration is the best guide we have.

When I noticed the valium was stronger, I cut the dose in half right away and didn't seem to have any additional issues from that.  The good news about needing less valium is that the taper is shorter.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to throw this info out there. I was on .5 mg of ativan for 3 years. Same dose once per day at night to sleep, and an occasional pill maybe 2 - 3 times a month for situational anxiety.

When I realized what I needed to do, I found the Ashton Manual and brought this information about tapering off to my psych and asked if he thought it was a good idea to cross over to valium for an easier taper. He did agree and told me the equivalent was 2 mg, and that is what he rx'd for me to cross straight over to then begin to taper.

When I checked the ashton manual after my appointment I discovered that it listed the equivalent at 5 mg. So I asked the pharmacist who had a great deal of trouble looking it up and she said 2.5 mg val was the equivalent of .5 mg ativan.

I was petrified to screw this up, as I couldn't imagine doing any worse, I thought I was going to die anyway! So I called my Dr and told him what the manual that I had found indicated and also told him that the pharmacist info differed. He told me to try the 2 mg val and if that didn't work he would be fine with me going to 5 mg val.

The pills came in 2 mg and I figured if its that easy to do either 2 mg or 5 mg I would rather be wrong in taking more and having to taper longer, then to take less and put myself in an even worse tailspin. It was clear to me that he was not sure but was receptive. So I took 6 mlgs that first weekend, until I could get a pill cutter and went to 5 mg on that following monday.

I crossed straight over to valium without any taper and seemingly without much problem. I was in a terrible way when I started so who knows if what might have been trouble with the crossover was just peppered with the nightmare I was already in.

I didn't join the forum until 3 mos later, when my taper of .5 mg of val every 2 weeks began to take a toll, and I stlowed my taper down to a reasonable .2 mg val every 11 days as you can see in my signature.

I know everyone is different but this is what has worked for me and what I did. Just another story to put in your back of decision making tricks.

Be well, fellow taperers. One thing I do know for certain, is that in time (and time is most definitely the key) we all get our lives back.

Sarah :smitten:

Valium is stronger for me.  I'm hooked on about 1mg Ativan and I just switched this week to Valium.  My psych told me that finding my equivalency dose would be a trial and error process and to start with 6mg Valium and see how I felt.  The 6mg makes me feel totally drugged, drowsy, dizzy and woozy.  Feels totally different from Ativan.  I can't imagine how I'd feel on the 10mg generally suggested as the equivalent to 1mg lorazepam - probably quite terrible!

Good luck.

[b0...]

Hi

I am currently doing the crossover from 2.5mg of Ativan and 15mg of Imovane to Valium - my Valium dose (or equivalent thereof)  is 30mg which I am finding very 'high', but that's what the Ashton manual advocates, so I am going with it.

Tonight I lose another of the 0.5 doses of Ativan with a replacement 5mg Valium.

Seems to be going ok at present, but feeling pretty tired which is to be expected.  The Valium has certainly covered any w/d symptoms from the Ativan thus far to the point that I almost forget to take my next dose or simply feel I don't need it.

Hope that helps.

My wife has also switched from 1,25mg Dorm (Ativan) to Valium. From day one she switched from Lorazepam to Diazepam using ratio 1 to 5 (and not 1 to 10). Now two months down the road she is on 1,25mg Valium twice a day and if needed an extra dose of appr. 0,6mg Valium. She is doing relatively ok but Valium makes her sleepy! In any case switching to Valium seems to be a good choice if someone wants to quit ativan. Good Luck.

According to Dr Ashton's Manual: 1mg Ativan = 10mg Valium.

I was on 1.5mg Ativan for twenty years and switched over a three week period. You can see how I did it by clicking on my blog. I did a slow wean over a period of 20 months and became benzo free eight months ago. I do  believe that slow is the best way to go and if I had to do it over again I would have gotten liquid valium once I got down to the lower doses instead of cutting .5mg all the way.

It's worth while doing!  :thumbsup:

Frannie

• 1 month later...
Hello!  I have just started to cross over to Valium from Ativan. I was on a steady dose of .05 mg. three  times a day. Once or twice I was allowed to take it 4 times a day but the last 7 years I was strictly 3 times a day. My Neuropsych wanted me to take 10 mg. of Valium at night and try not to take the Ativan at all unless I "needed" it. Well, by night 2 I was having pins and needles in my feet and hands, shooting pains all over, tinnitus, nausea, sweats & chills. I finally gave in and took an Ativan, as I needed to go to work! I was fine all day and slept fine the next night on 10 mg. Valium. I took 10 mg Valium last night and woke up 5 hours later, restless, headache, etc and took 1/2 Ativan. I had to take another 1/2 8 hours later. 5 days in I still have not figured out what the best dose is or when. Tonight I will try 10 mg. Valium again and see if I can sleep through the night. I may try 1/2 Ativan and 1/4 Valium sometime during the day tomorrow. The Neuropsych said if you find yourself taking the Ativan on a regular basis, you need to take more Valium. I believe the equivalent of .05 mg/TID  is 15 mg. Valium. I'm afraid of the withdrawal I feel when I go without the Ativan. I'm not sure if any dose of Valium will prevent that. Also, the Valium is very different from the Ativan, sedating. Good luck, keep us updated on what works for you!

Hello!  I have just started to cross over to Valium from Ativan. I was on a steady dose of .05 mg. three  times a day. Once or twice I was allowed to take it 4 times a day but the last 7 years I was strictly 3 times a day. My Neuropsych wanted me to take 10 mg. of Valium at night and try not to take the Ativan at all unless I "needed" it. Well, by night 2 I was having pins and needles in my feet and hands, shooting pains all over, tinnitus, nausea, sweats & chills. I finally gave in and took an Ativan, as I needed to go to work! I was fine all day and slept fine the next night on 10 mg. Valium. I took 10 mg Valium last night and woke up 5 hours later, restless, headache, etc and took 1/2 Ativan. I had to take another 1/2 8 hours later. 5 days in I still have not figured out what the best dose is or when. Tonight I will try 10 mg. Valium again and see if I can sleep through the night. I may try 1/2 Ativan and 1/4 Valium sometime during the day tomorrow. The Neuropsych said if you find yourself taking the Ativan on a regular basis, you need to take more Valium. I believe the equivalent of .05 mg/TID  is 15 mg. Valium. I'm afraid of the withdrawal I feel when I go without the Ativan. I'm not sure if any dose of Valium will prevent that. Also, the Valium is very different from the Ativan, sedating. Good luck, keep us updated on what works for you!

I think I can help you here. You are suffering from Ativan withdrawal obviously. Several reasons. First of all the equivalence for 1.5mg ativan is 15mg valium. Second, the crossover should be stepwise rather than abrupt. The best thing to to is switch one of your ativan doses for 5 mg valium. Do that for a week or so. Then do a second switch for about a week. Then switch completely to valium. You would then be on 15mg valium divided in 3 doses. Now you are ready to taper. Plan on between 3 and 9 months to get rid of it all. Good luck.

One other thing.

It is best to be organized and regimented with your dosing schedule. To many dose changes will confuse your brain. You will get the hang of it.

I am also trying to switch over to Valium from Ativan.  I was on .05 mg TID for over ten years. I'm having trouble crossing over to the 10 or 15 mg of Valium the psychiatrist recommended. I have only taken 10 mg Valium at night and have gone one day with no Ativan (not good) and most days either take .25 once or .5 once. Still trying to figure it all out. Good luck!

I too am crossing over from Ativan ( .5 mg/three times a day) to Valium. The psychiatrist suggested just quitting the Ativan and begin taking a dose of 10 mg Valium nightly. That did not work for me. Now, I am playing with the dosages of the Valium and the Ativan to see what works for me. I will not be able to directly cross over from the Ativan to the Valium in one week. Today, my husband and I decided that I will be taking 7.5 mg Valium at bed time (since I have made it 6 days taking 10 mg Valium at night) and .5 mg Ativan in the morning and a combination of .25 Ativan and 2.5mg Valium in the afternoon. I will see if I can stabilize on this over the next week or two. So, I might not cross over to the Valium totally before my next appointment in 3 weeks. I have to be able to work and I will be taking it slowly! Good luck to all my fellow cross overs!