Author Topic: Ativan to Valium switch  (Read 5497 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Ativan to Valium switch
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »
My wife has also switched from 1,25mg Dorm (Ativan) to Valium. From day one she switched from Lorazepam to Diazepam using ratio 1 to 5 (and not 1 to 10). Now two months down the road she is on 1,25mg Valium twice a day and if needed an extra dose of appr. 0,6mg Valium. She is doing relatively ok but Valium makes her sleepy! In any case switching to Valium seems to be a good choice if someone wants to quit ativan. Good Luck.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:43:26 pm »
According to Dr Ashton's Manual: 1mg Ativan = 10mg Valium.
I was on 1.5mg Ativan for twenty years and switched over a three week period. You can see how I did it by clicking on my blog. I did a slow wean over a period of 20 months and became benzo free eight months ago. I do  believe that slow is the best way to go and if I had to do it over again I would have gotten liquid valium once I got down to the lower doses instead of cutting .5mg all the way.

It's worth while doing!  :thumbsup:

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 01:55:24 am »
Hello!  I have just started to cross over to Valium from Ativan. I was on a steady dose of .05 mg. three  times a day. Once or twice I was allowed to take it 4 times a day but the last 7 years I was strictly 3 times a day. My Neuropsych wanted me to take 10 mg. of Valium at night and try not to take the Ativan at all unless I "needed" it. Well, by night 2 I was having pins and needles in my feet and hands, shooting pains all over, tinnitus, nausea, sweats & chills. I finally gave in and took an Ativan, as I needed to go to work! I was fine all day and slept fine the next night on 10 mg. Valium. I took 10 mg Valium last night and woke up 5 hours later, restless, headache, etc and took 1/2 Ativan. I had to take another 1/2 8 hours later. 5 days in I still have not figured out what the best dose is or when. Tonight I will try 10 mg. Valium again and see if I can sleep through the night. I may try 1/2 Ativan and 1/4 Valium sometime during the day tomorrow. The Neuropsych said if you find yourself taking the Ativan on a regular basis, you need to take more Valium. I believe the equivalent of .05 mg/TID  is 15 mg. Valium. I'm afraid of the withdrawal I feel when I go without the Ativan. I'm not sure if any dose of Valium will prevent that. Also, the Valium is very different from the Ativan, sedating. Good luck, keep us updated on what works for you!

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2012, 02:17:05 am »
Hello!  I have just started to cross over to Valium from Ativan. I was on a steady dose of .05 mg. three  times a day. Once or twice I was allowed to take it 4 times a day but the last 7 years I was strictly 3 times a day. My Neuropsych wanted me to take 10 mg. of Valium at night and try not to take the Ativan at all unless I "needed" it. Well, by night 2 I was having pins and needles in my feet and hands, shooting pains all over, tinnitus, nausea, sweats & chills. I finally gave in and took an Ativan, as I needed to go to work! I was fine all day and slept fine the next night on 10 mg. Valium. I took 10 mg Valium last night and woke up 5 hours later, restless, headache, etc and took 1/2 Ativan. I had to take another 1/2 8 hours later. 5 days in I still have not figured out what the best dose is or when. Tonight I will try 10 mg. Valium again and see if I can sleep through the night. I may try 1/2 Ativan and 1/4 Valium sometime during the day tomorrow. The Neuropsych said if you find yourself taking the Ativan on a regular basis, you need to take more Valium. I believe the equivalent of .05 mg/TID  is 15 mg. Valium. I'm afraid of the withdrawal I feel when I go without the Ativan. I'm not sure if any dose of Valium will prevent that. Also, the Valium is very different from the Ativan, sedating. Good luck, keep us updated on what works for you!

I think I can help you here. You are suffering from Ativan withdrawal obviously. Several reasons. First of all the equivalence for 1.5mg ativan is 15mg valium. Second, the crossover should be stepwise rather than abrupt. The best thing to to is switch one of your ativan doses for 5 mg valium. Do that for a week or so. Then do a second switch for about a week. Then switch completely to valium. You would then be on 15mg valium divided in 3 doses. Now you are ready to taper. Plan on between 3 and 9 months to get rid of it all. Good luck.

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 02:19:08 am »
One other thing.

It is best to be organized and regimented with your dosing schedule. To many dose changes will confuse your brain. You will get the hang of it.

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2012, 11:31:13 am »
I am also trying to switch over to Valium from Ativan.  I was on .05 mg TID for over ten years. I'm having trouble crossing over to the 10 or 15 mg of Valium the psychiatrist recommended. I have only taken 10 mg Valium at night and have gone one day with no Ativan (not good) and most days either take .25 once or .5 once. Still trying to figure it all out. Good luck!

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 11:42:55 pm »
I too am crossing over from Ativan ( .5 mg/three times a day) to Valium. The psychiatrist suggested just quitting the Ativan and begin taking a dose of 10 mg Valium nightly. That did not work for me. Now, I am playing with the dosages of the Valium and the Ativan to see what works for me. I will not be able to directly cross over from the Ativan to the Valium in one week. Today, my husband and I decided that I will be taking 7.5 mg Valium at bed time (since I have made it 6 days taking 10 mg Valium at night) and .5 mg Ativan in the morning and a combination of .25 Ativan and 2.5mg Valium in the afternoon. I will see if I can stabilize on this over the next week or two. So, I might not cross over to the Valium totally before my next appointment in 3 weeks. I have to be able to work and I will be taking it slowly! Good luck to all my fellow cross overs!