Question about side effects

I have been tapering down from 3 mg of ativan per day for the past 3 months. My last cut was this week down to 1.30 mg per day. I had been battling depression which I felt was caused by the med. Anyway, with a good diet, supplements, and exercising everyday the depression lifted for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I was so happy because it had been kind of rough. This morning it was back. I was shocked and upset. Do you think it has anything to do with the latest cut in my med? The only thing I have done differently is add tart cherry juice in the morning and again an hour before bed to aid with sleep. Any thoughts? TIA.

Benzo withdrawal does cause depression.  Also, tart cherry juice is known to be relaxing because of a natural melatonin substance in it.  Some people get very depressed on melatonin, so I suppose there could be a link. 

[a6...]
It's possible, but from all I've read, there are many, many cases where symptoms come and go throughout the w/d process.  I don't think I would overreact to a one day relapse in your case.

Thank you both for replying. I did cut back on the cherry concentrate. I haven't been quite as depressed. Didn't sleep quite as well though. I've not slept well in 6 months. The w/d effects have been so odd. It seems to effect my face and jaws more. A little shaking still in the morning but when it's time for my next dose it's almost like an uncontrollable grimace on my face and my jaws are clenching and then the headache. My mind starts to feel "stressed" or cloudy. I hate this and although I'm determined I never dreamed it would be like this to get off of this med. I'm so impressed and in awe of people who kick this med. I never abused this drug. Not once.

I am at 1.30 mg per day and would love to be off in 2 more months. Some days I don't think I can do it but that's just because I feel bad. I have to tell myself over and over that I'm just feeling withdrawals and they will pass eventually. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it so much. Just feel scared and mad that I let this happen.

Thank you both for replying. I did cut back on the cherry concentrate. I haven't been quite as depressed. Didn't sleep quite as well though. I've not slept well in 6 months. The w/d effects have been so odd. It seems to effect my face and jaws more. A little shaking still in the morning but when it's time for my next dose it's almost like an uncontrollable grimace on my face and my jaws are clenching and then the headache. My mind starts to feel "stressed" or cloudy. I hate this and although I'm determined I never dreamed it would be like this to get off of this med. I'm so impressed and in awe of people who kick this med. I never abused this drug. Not once.

I am at 1.30 mg per day and would love to be off in 2 more months. Some days I don't think I can do it but that's just because I feel bad. I have to tell myself over and over that I'm just feeling withdrawals and they will pass eventually. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it so much. Just feel scared and mad that I let this happen.

I get the jaw and facial tension too, it's really disturbing.  It's calmed down some as I've come down.  I'm tapering really slowly now compared to how I started.

Are you taking your dose all at once or spreading it out through the day?  I noticed that I started to sleep much better once I spread my dose out a little bit.  If you have a calmer daytime baseline, you sleep better at night.  Yoga, Jin Shin Jyutsu, reflexology, and affirmations have also helped tremendously.  You might find that if you put more non-drug/supplement tools in your coping toolbag, it will make you feel less afraid.  Supplements are really iffy.  Some help but most either don't work or complicate withdrawal.  The only ones I can tolerate so far are magnesium and vitamin C (and some can't even have those). 

sagemom, I see I got moved. = - ) I am spreading out the doses. I take .40 at 6:30am (mornings are the highest anxiety time for me), .25 at 11:30am, .25 at 4:30pm, and .40 around 9pm. I'm also using supplements, Omega 3's, vitamins, D, C, and B100's. I ride my indoor bike for 20-23 minutes 7 days a week.

I haven't tried magnesium yet but I wanted to add it. Does it help you? I am medidating in the form of prayer each morning. Also, I've been to a hypnotherapist once but I may go back again. Last week I started with a new therapist who uses CBT for my anxiety. However, I truly believe that ativan has caused my anxiety and I think I've been having withdrawal symptoms for at least 2 or 3 months and didn't know it.

You are so right about the facial tension and how disturbing it is to experience. Also, my mind feels so cloudy when it starts to happen. Thank you for replying. Also, do you or anyone else have any suggestions for where I should make my next cut? I would like to do it at night but I keep reading that I should do that cut last?

sagemom, I see I got moved. = - ) I am spreading out the doses. I take .40 at 6:30am (mornings are the highest anxiety time for me), .25 at 11:30am, .25 at 4:30pm, and .40 around 9pm. I'm also using supplements, Omega 3's, vitamins, D, C, and B100's. I ride my indoor bike for 20-23 minutes 7 days a week.

I haven't tried magnesium yet but I wanted to add it. Does it help you? I am medidating in the form of prayer each morning. Also, I've been to a hypnotherapist once but I may go back again. Last week I started with a new therapist who uses CBT for my anxiety. However, I truly believe that ativan has caused my anxiety and I think I've been having withdrawal symptoms for at least 2 or 3 months and didn't know it.

You are so right about the facial tension and how disturbing it is to experience. Also, my mind feels so cloudy when it starts to happen. Thank you for replying. Also, do you or anyone else have any suggestions for where I should make my next cut? I would like to do it at night but I keep reading that I should do that cut last?

It depends on how well you are sleeping.  If you sleep fine, you could probably try it.  Most people leave the night dose until last because they want to sleep for as long as possible.  I make all my cuts to my night dose because my daytime doses are already miniscule.  I don't divide my doses evenly, I take the majority at night and a very small amount (4 mgs) during the day.  But if you're already divided evenly, cutting the night dose could have a more significant effect on sleep quality.  It's really so individual, you just have to determine what's most likely going to affect your quality of life the least.

Also, most people find that taking B vitamins during withdrawal significantly increases symptoms.  Some have found the same thing with other supplements as well, but B vitamins seem to be the worst. 

Magnesium helps with muscle tension.  I've always taken it, even pre-benzos, and I continue to take it even if I feel it revs me up a little because I think it's extremely important and more of a help than a hindrance in withdrawal.  It also helps boost immunity and decrease pain, especially digestive pain.

Thanks for the info on the magnesium. I was diagnosed with very low vitamin D and B12. I'm supposed to be taking weekly B12 shots but haven't in 3 or 4 weeks. I've been taking them (B100's) for 2 months, so I didn't realize they could hinder my tapering.

I had one of those intense facial tension/grimaces this afternoon right before I took my afternoon dose. My head felt so "full" and it seems to also feel like allergies but I don't think it is allergies. The face I make is awful and I can't control it. So weird. I have long wondered if I am allergic to the "fillers" in the generic. Years and years ago when I took the namebrand ativan I never had any problems with it and the taper was smooth as glass. Not one withdrawal symptom. I took it for panic attacks. 1mg 3x per day. I did that for 6 months and then tapered. I've stated several times that the generic lorazapam seems to be a much "rougher" drug. However, I'm much older now as well.

I will look into the magnesium. Thanks! :)