Sticky skin syndrome

Does anyone deal with sticky skin when it is wet? This has been going on for months but is so low on my list of s/x that I am just addressing it. Does anyone else have this? Thank-you for any replies.

Hi Spunky,

Sorry you haven't had any replies on this.

I did a quick search for you and couldn't find anything.

I have had the dryness, itchy and burning skin but not the sticky.

I hope someone else can chip in and help with this.

Debbie  :)

Hi Spunky, I have had major skin issues. One of the reasons I quit Clonazepam to begin with was I believed my skin was reacting to it. Yes, I alternate between sticky skin that feels like puddy / bread dough to dry skin. Luckily, I go to a dermatologist who was familiar with benzo withdrawl; he has been quite understanding and helpful. He said that it was my nerve receptors tricking m. In other words in the same way I felt bugs crawling on me, but there were none, it was caused by the nerve damage or healing (both are painful and cause weird sensations), I felt my skin was sticky or gooey, but it is actually not. I hope that helps you. He recommended that I bath in either Dove Body Wash for sensitive skin or Oil of Olay Body Wash. (If it is wrong to put in a products name as I did, I am sorry, not advertising for them. I am sure any body wash for sensative skin would work, just that doctor's preferences.) I do use both of these and it seems to help.

Got that  sticky feeling just last week, but it went away after about 48 hours. For me, just knowing the root of this sensation has helped ease my mind.

I am so sorry for not thanking you for your replies sooner. It has been a rough day, days....Thank-you so much for replying to me.

Hey Spunky - When you posted your message I got a google alert for "sticky skin" and registered here so I could answer you.  My skin feels normal when wet, or when dry, but when moist, it's sticky.  Does that sound like what you have? 

It's called acquired cutaneous adherence, or sticky skin syndrome, and there doesn't seem to be much known about it.  It's a condition that often occurs when taking drugs for prostate cancer, which, being female, I definitely am not!  I've been to two dermatologists and neither ever heard of it or wanted to look into it.  There's been a long (3 year) discussion on Empowher but no answers.  If you'd like to check it out, here it is...

http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/any-help-skin-gets-sticky-when-it-gets-wet

For me it started shortly after I began Lamictal, an anti-seizure drug, three years ago.  And the seizures started when I quit xanax, seven years ago.  Tell me more about what it's like for you.

-mahniah

It feels like i have adhesive on my hand when I am drying them. It has been going on and off for months but mostly on. It is aroung my mouth too. Not as bad as the hands though. What is yours like? I have read all about it on that site a while back but like you said no real answers.

That's exactly how I feel Spunky, and like you, only when damp.  It's over my whole body and never goes away.  At least it hasn't gotten worse.  I used to wear a nightgown to bed, but now I wear pajamas cause my legs stuck together if I got warm.  I know that for me it isn't connected to benzo withdrawal - it started around seven years later. 

I have yet another apt with a dermatologist in two weeks, but I don't expect much.  I just wish I could find a doctor who's curious enough to look into it.  And I'm thinking that maybe a dermo isn't the best doctor for this problem.  I'll let you know what happens.