GABA supps

Is/did anyone else take them during tapering? Do they tend to make you tired and foggy? Should I kick those to the curb for a while? I'm only taking one sup in the morning and I thought it would do me good, but eeeeeeeesh.

TIA

Ok, I ate and took some liquid b-complex, so I'm feeling less loopy. I think I'll save that GABA for nighttime.

Hi,

As I understand it, there is no point in taking GABA supplements, but maybe that depends upon what you call a supplement. There is sense in making sure your diet is well balanced, as the right nutrients will allow your body to repair the GABA receptors. This is an area I've not ever been involved with, as I had finished my taper some months before I started to read up about benzos. One of our former moderators knew just about everything there is to know about benzos, diet and supplements, but she left a while ago. Try a forum search for: supplements gaba. In the 'user' box, type: Jana. That should turn up plenty of useful threads.

Here's one thread that looks vey useful: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/?topic=860.msg21091;topicseen#msg21091

Mary,

I took GABA during my first (unsuccessful) taper, when I had extremely bad w/d symptoms (I was tapering too fast). I know some people say that GABA taken as a supp doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier, but it does something, because it had an effect on me. What it did to me is make me terribly depressed, so bad I could hardly get to work. I stopped taking the GABA, thinking is might be the cause of the depression, and sure enough, it cleared up. To be sure, I started taking it again to see if the same thing happened--and it did. It did help calm me down, though. I don't know why it has this effect.

Wow. Yeah, that's what it's sounding like. I *am* feeling depressed, but there are a lot of outside influences going on as well. Ugh. b-complex is, however, very lovely.

I'm gonna skip the gaba for a while. It's bad enough feeling whacked w/o feeling below operating level.

Thanks. (: