Claritin-D and insomnia? Anyone else have this happen?

[ma...]

I've been taking Claritin-D for allergies and wonder if it is making my insomnia worse.  Anyone else have this problem?  Just curious ::)

I've been taking Claritin-D for allergies and wonder if it is making my insomnia worse.  Anyone else have this problem?  Just curious ::)

Yeah, I do.  I always have to be careful taking any of that stuff even though I have sinusitis constantly.  I've noticed that any over the counter medicine can effect me differently so I urge extreme caution when taking anything....  :)

Elwood

Thanks Elwood,

I am now being more careful than I ever have been in what I'm putting in my body. I learned that Claritin-D has pseudoephedrine in it, which can cause sleeplessness.  So, no more Claritin-D for me.  I am now taking an allergy pill that is not a stimulant and doing much better.  I also stopped drinking coffee in the afternoon...a habit I've had for almost 20 years.  I still allow myself my morning coffee though.  That would be really tough to give up.

I'm on 24 mg valium and doing a very slow taper.  I'm doing pretty good and so grateful for the support of this website.  It helps me not feel so alone in the long withdrawal process.

Thanks again,

Maggie

Thanks Elwood,

I am now being more careful than I ever have been in what I'm putting in my body. I learned that Claritin-D has pseudoephedrine in it, which can cause sleeplessness.  So, no more Claritin-D for me.  I am now taking an allergy pill that is not a stimulant and doing much better.  I also stopped drinking coffee in the afternoon...a habit I've had for almost 20 years.  I still allow myself my morning coffee though.  That would be really tough to give up.

I'm on 24 mg valium and doing a very slow taper.  I'm doing pretty good and so grateful for the support of this website.  It helps me not feel so alone in the long withdrawal process.

Thanks again,

Maggie

Hi Maggie,

Glad to hear you are doing well.  Yeah, I can't bring myself to give up the morning coffee either.  Some people have problems with it but I seem to do ok. I drink 1/2 decaf w/o any real problems.  I don't know about you, but I never did anything in moderation but have had to change my tune during w/d.

This forum has helped me a lot.  Nobody "out there" understands but "in here" we are all in the same boat and it really helps knowing other people are facing the same situation.  If I hadn't gotten caught in the benzo trap I never would have believed it could cause so much trouble.  We also get hope by discovering that other people get out of it in one piece. 

Happy healing,

Elwood

• 3 months later...

what works for me - air purifier, netti pot for irrigating my sinus.

the more medicine i am on for asthma the sicker i get and the worst my symptoms.

any allergy drug good for 24 hours does not have a sedating effect.

If you need an antihistamine, I just found out that benadryl and over the counter sleep aids such as Unisom are exactly the same (both help you sleep).  Don't know if it's a good drug or not (if there is such a thing as a good drug).  I have, when desparate for sleep, taken benadryl.  It helps a bit, but if I can help it, I try to save my tapered dose of benz for sleep (as much as possible).

• 3 months later...

I thinkt he "D" part is sudafed isn't it?  Sudafed stimulates some people big time, and other people don't even notice.  I take zyrtec-D and actually feel more awake from it (not in a crazy caffeine way but a well rested way)... however, I think it screws up my sleep a little too.  I also have regular zyrtec, but I really need the "D" even more than the zyrtec part for my nose.

Mucinex helps thin mucous and I sometimes try to use it instead of sudafed... but it's hard to beat sudafed.