ZZZ Nyquil

[Ra...]

I haven't used it, but this is what I found on their website:

ZzzQuil contains diphenhydramine HCl, which has been used for many years. Clinical studies were conducted on diphenhydramine HCl and submitted to the FDA that show its safety and efficacy to relieve relieve occasional sleeplessness, when used as directed. These studies are on file with the U.S. FDA.

http://www.zzzquil.com/faq/

I would do more research, however, before I took it.  I am trying not to take any drugs that I absolutely don't need.

Sincerely,

fg

Hi!

Diphenhydramine has been around a long time. It's an antihistamine so it will dry you up so to speak. It's in many sleep aids. It might work if you only take it occasionally, but it will bounce back if you take it every night. Also, drink lots of water with it if you decide to take it.

:mybuddy:....T2

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I take ZZZquil when the insomnia got really bad. I tried seroquel and clonidine before that. I did not feel comfortable staying with the seroquel... ZZZquil really helps. After a month or so of bad insomnia I decided it was worth the risk of taking another drug. I am at the point where I can sleep once I fall asleep, but falling asleep can take many hours... I am going to take ZZZquil every other night at this point, but it has worked wonders for me.

Its just like benadryl....Your body will build up a tolerance for it also....Its a viscous cycle. I am currently almost off my ambien and honestly I have had some pretty ok nights sleep. I think using it once in a while is ok but to use it regularly would not be in your best interest. This is coming from someone who has used sleep med for7 or 8 years!!!  DONT DO IT!

Just my opinion!

Lisa

It is Benadryl.

Benadryl is the brand name.

Diphenhydramine is the generic name.

Don't waste your money on expensive syrups.

Just buy the cheap store-brand of whatever anti-allergy pill contains this same diphenhydramine.

For exactly the same ingredients, same dose, you pay less if it's packaged for allergies than if it's marketed for sleep.

You have got to love our wonderful drug dealers.

It may or may not work.

Oh, and be careful with this stuff if you have a prostate.

Yup....thats what I said.....that doesn't help me one bit. It is what is in most sleep aids....You can just go look for benadryl in the store and then get the store brand which is usually right next to it.....Like someone said tho....its dries you out cuz its an antihistamine. I would try to stay away from it honestly.

Lisa

It is Benadryl.

Benadryl is the brand name.

Diphenhydramine is the generic name.

Don't waste your money on expensive syrups.

Just buy the cheap store-brand of whatever anti-allergy pill contains this same diphenhydramine.

For exactly the same ingredients, same dose, you pay less if it's packaged for allergies than if it's marketed for sleep.

You have got to love our wonderful drug dealers.

It may or may not work.

Oh, and be careful with this stuff if you have a prostate.

Just curious.  How does it affect your prostate?

Thanks.

Benedryl is diphenhydramine and Unisom sleep aid is doxylamine succinate.  They both are effective, OTC, and safe if used as directed.  If you go for the unisom make sure it's the sleep aid with doxylamine in it, as they are now selling a unisom version with dyphenhydramine.

I do not know this but I wonder if you swap out one for the other every other night or rather as needed if it will keep tolerance to each at bay for a while.  It's just a supposition, but might be worth some thought.

I would say that it would probably keep you from tolerance for a bit longer but in the end its what will happen. Use once in a while they are all fine but when it becomes a habit its bad....Trust me!!!

Lisa

Thanks.

I think it can make your prostate swell up a bit, which may be a problem if your prostate is already swollen. A lot of older guys have this condition called benign prostatic hypertrophy, and Benadryl can make it hard for them to pee in the morning, I think. And now before all you girls start panicking, keep in mind that you don't have a prostate. So if your doctor has been checking your prostate all these years, well - I'd call a cop.

Thanks.

I think it can make your prostate swell up a bit, which may be a problem if your prostate is already swollen. A lot of older guys have this condition called benign prostatic hypertrophy, and Benadryl can make it hard for them to pee in the morning, I think. And now before all you girls start panicking, keep in mind that you don't have a prostate. So if your doctor has been checking your prostate all these years, well - I'd call a cop.

HA!!

Sleep restriction therapy is extremely effective and someone else here started a thread about it.  Teaches your brain and body that you don't need anything to sleep.  You may want to look into it.  I also use sleepphones to help me sleep.

Sleep restriction therapy is extremely effective and someone else here started a thread about it.  Teaches your brain and body that you don't need anything to sleep.  You may want to look into it.  I also use sleepphones to help me sleep.

Sleephones???? Are they like headphones? Music or white noise??? I have a sound machine but it doesn't drown out my husbands snoring :-\

Lisa

Lisa,

Sleepphones were recommended to me by someone else here and they are fabulous.  They are headphones within a fleece headband so you can listen to whatever you want comfortably.  You can find them online.  They weren't cheap--I think they were about $40.  I have had great success with white noise sounds for tinnitus and with spoken word affirmations, Scripture and guided meditation for racing/intrusive thoughts.  Hope that helps!

Mary

Lisa,

Sleepphones were recommended to me by someone else here and they are fabulous.  They are headphones within a fleece headband so you can listen to whatever you want comfortably.  You can find them online.  They weren't cheap--I think they were about $40.  I have had great success with white noise sounds for tinnitus and with spoken word affirmations, Scripture and guided meditation for racing/intrusive thoughts.  Hope that helps!

Mary

Thanks Mary! I will look into them!!

Lisa

Oh my gosh, Lisa, still awake at 2am.  Got woken myself around then, courtesy of a barfing cat.

I listen to audio books, rather than reading & find that even on what feel like really bad nights, i will have dosed off for longer than i would otherwise believed.  I can tell how much sleep i got by the number of missed chapters in the book & it's a better distraction than counting shhep.

No ihope....it was around 9=9:30pm here.....I can't figure out what the time stamp on here. Im east coast.....so its 9:15am here right now. Although I WAS up at 2am lol

Lisa

I have used the sleephones for about a year. I first learned about them from Teakettle, another insomniac. I do think they work well. He also recommended Sleep Tracks, a sleep program I listen to at times. It helps, but wasn't the answer for me.

I've been up since 3:30. The night before I slept almost 7 hrs which was great for me, tho I remembered I had a glass of wine. That may be what helped me sleep. I really expected to sleep last nite and my mind was just too active. I kept waking up and thinking.

My thyroid is changing to slow now from hyper so I expected my sleep to really improve...I hoped. I had one good night. I'm not at 21 months off temazapam and ambien. Why can't I be like so many others and just sleep naturally?

Sounds like your brain is your enemy with your sleep.....I just keep waking up.....ugh....I have twitchy eyes too....when I close them to try to sleep. The xanax does help that but as I taper from that what will help.....ugh....

So on the sleepphones....I still need to be able to hear for the kids and dog and stuff.....so Im thinking they shut out everything then right??

Lisa

No you can still hear with them on. It doesn't shut out my husbands sleep noises. He doesn't really snore but does make noise. It just muffles the noise....doesn't totally shut it out. They are definitely worth having. Just one more thing to help. You can listen to your ipod without it hurting your ears from the dumb earbuds.

Sunbrnt: Was it the Nyquil that you tried? It is not a new substance...it's the same stuff used in sominex, etc...

Do not know if this is what put my sleep back on track or not, however, I purchased some tart cherry capsules and take two every day. It's supposed to help with arthritis pain and has natural melatonin in it. My sleep has improved greatly since using it.

T2