Author Topic: ZZZ Nyquil  (Read 12184 times)

[Buddie]

ZZZ Nyquil
« on: July 06, 2012, 03:05:48 am »
Has anyone tried the new ZZZ NyQuil for sleep?
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: ZZZ Nyquil
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 05:44:13 am »
I haven't used it, but this is what I found on their website:

ZzzQuil contains diphenhydramine HCl, which has been used for many years. Clinical studies were conducted on diphenhydramine HCl and submitted to the FDA that show its safety and efficacy to relieve relieve occasional sleeplessness, when used as directed. These studies are on file with the U.S. FDA.

http://www.zzzquil.com/faq/

I would do more research, however, before I took it.  I am trying not to take any drugs that I absolutely don't need.

Sincerely,

[...]
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 05:49:15 am »
Hi!

Diphenhydramine has been around a long time. It's an antihistamine so it will dry you up so to speak. It's in many sleep aids. It might work if you only take it occasionally, but it will bounce back if you take it every night. Also, drink lots of water with it if you decide to take it.

:mybuddy:....[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:27:36 pm »
Hey,
I take ZZZquil when the insomnia got really bad. I tried seroquel and clonidine before that. I did not feel comfortable staying with the seroquel... ZZZquil really helps. After a month or so of bad insomnia I decided it was worth the risk of taking another drug. I am at the point where I can sleep once I fall asleep, but falling asleep can take many hours... I am going to take ZZZquil every other night at this point, but it has worked wonders for me.

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 01:04:45 am »
Its just like benadryl....Your body will build up a tolerance for it also....Its a viscous cycle. I am currently almost off my ambien and honestly I have had some pretty ok nights sleep. I think using it once in a while is ok but to use it regularly would not be in your best interest. This is coming from someone who has used sleep med for7 or 8 years!!!  DONT DO IT!

Just my opinion!

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:06:45 am »
It is Benadryl.

Benadryl is the brand name.
Diphenhydramine is the generic name.

Don't waste your money on expensive syrups.
Just buy the cheap store-brand of whatever anti-allergy pill contains this same diphenhydramine.
For exactly the same ingredients, same dose, you pay less if it's packaged for allergies than if it's marketed for sleep.
You have got to love our wonderful drug dealers.

It may or may not work.
Oh, and be careful with this stuff if you have a prostate.

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »
Yup....thats what I said.....that doesn't help me one bit. It is what is in most sleep aids....You can just go look for benadryl in the store and then get the store brand which is usually right next to it.....Like someone said tho....its dries you out cuz its an antihistamine. I would try to stay away from it honestly.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:32:02 pm »
It is Benadryl.

Benadryl is the brand name.
Diphenhydramine is the generic name.

Don't waste your money on expensive syrups.
Just buy the cheap store-brand of whatever anti-allergy pill contains this same diphenhydramine.
For exactly the same ingredients, same dose, you pay less if it's packaged for allergies than if it's marketed for sleep.
You have got to love our wonderful drug dealers.

It may or may not work.
Oh, and be careful with this stuff if you have a prostate.

Just curious.  How does it affect your prostate?

Thanks.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:59 pm »
An antihistamine totally messed me up at the end of my taper--buyer beware

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »
Benedryl is diphenhydramine and Unisom sleep aid is doxylamine succinate.  They both are effective, OTC, and safe if used as directed.  If you go for the unisom make sure it's the sleep aid with doxylamine in it, as they are now selling a unisom version with dyphenhydramine.

I do not know this but I wonder if you swap out one for the other every other night or rather as needed if it will keep tolerance to each at bay for a while.  It's just a supposition, but might be worth some thought.