Stomach Ulcer

At least I hope that's all it is. I am really trying my best not to dwell on it being something worse.  :(

About 3 days ago (along with the return of many other sx), my stomach really started giving me trouble. I took the usual zantac 75, and it didnt help, so i took more.....still didnt help! Ive been eating antacids like crazy, and even now taking prilosec. If it's not any better by tomorrow, im going to the doctor.

After some research, I've found that they give out about two different antibiotics (at the same time) to fight the H Pylori bacteria.

Id love to hear from some people that have (or have known someone or read about) experience with those antibiotics while in withdrawal.

So far, some of those antibiotics I've saw, were:

Most commonly, the following are used: amoxicillin (Amoxil), clarithromycin (Biaxin) or metronidazole (Flagyl). There are also Prevpac and Helidac that represent a combo of two antibiotics and some other agents for killing the bacteria.

I don't have an ulcer but I have been taking amoxicillan for gum surgery. I had two procedures and each time I had to take the antibiotic. I had no negative effects from it at all.  I do eat a lot of yogurt so that has protected my gut from the usual upset.

A blood test will show if you have h-pylori.  Good luck at your doctor appointment.

Hi Hope-Fiend,

I am suffering the exact same thing you are right now.  My stomach has been in agonizing pain for a week and a half.  I keep thinking I have an ulcer because that is what it feels like -- not that I know what it feels like since I have never been diagnosed with an ulcer before.  But, nothing can make my stomach feel better.  I have tried everything.  I had an ultrasound on Monday of my gallbladder and there are gallstones, but it doesn't look like this should be causing my pain.  I, too, worry about having to take the 2 antibiotics course of action if my GI doctor finds my pain is due to an ulcer caused by h.pylori.  Antibiotics do a number on me and revv my s/x's.  I had a blood test but have not received the results yet.  I am hoping he tested for h. pylori, as Piano Girl mentioned in her post.  I just don't know what to think about my stomach.  I don't want to have my gallbladder taken out if all this stomach pain is from w/d and I don't want to go on a round of 2 antibiotics for an ulcer that may be caused by w/d.    How do you know?  My s/x's are through the roof right now since my stomach has been acting up -- is this the first time you have been having stomach pain during w/d? 

Hope you feel better soon.

-g

I don't have an ulcer but I have been taking amoxicillan for gum surgery. I had two procedures and each time I had to take the antibiotic. I had no negative effects from it at all.  I do eat a lot of yogurt so that has protected my gut from the usual upset.

A blood test will show if you have h-pylori.  Good luck at your doctor appointment.

Thanks for letting me know that the Amoxicillin didn't bother your sx.  :) That was one of the ones I was hoping didn't cause any issues. I had an abscess around 6 - 8 months ago or more, and had to take Bactrim, and it had some side effects, especially causing me severe depression. Went back to the ER, and the doc prescribed me Cipro, and even assured me it wasn't a Quinolone!!!!!! Thank GOD I researched that before I took it, because it is a Quinolone!

Hi Hope-Fiend,

I am suffering the exact same thing you are right now.  My stomach has been in agonizing pain for a week and a half.  I keep thinking I have an ulcer because that is what it feels like -- not that I know what it feels like since I have never been diagnosed with an ulcer before.  But, nothing can make my stomach feel better.  I have tried everything.  I had an ultrasound on Monday of my gallbladder and there are gallstones, but it doesn't look like this should be causing my pain.  I, too, worry about having to take the 2 antibiotics course of action if my GI doctor finds my pain is due to an ulcer caused by h.pylori.  Antibiotics do a number on me and revv my s/x's.  I had a blood test but have not received the results yet.  I am hoping he tested for h. pylori, as Piano Girl mentioned in her post.  I just don't know what to think about my stomach.  I don't want to have my gallbladder taken out if all this stomach pain is from w/d and I don't want to go on a round of 2 antibiotics for an ulcer that may be caused by w/d.    How do you know?  My s/x's are through the roof right now since my stomach has been acting up -- is this the first time you have been having stomach pain during w/d? 

Hope you feel better soon.

-g

Sorry you are going through this too.  :-\

I have always had stomach acid problems, and it got much worse when I withdrew from Klonopin. I notice during bad waves, the acid gets worse, but in windows it is much better. It seems like symptoms cause acid, and sometimes acid causes symptoms.  :idiot:

Aside from the painful/burning ulcer feeling I had today, my stomach also feels "hot" and its hard to describe. I've had the feeling before in withdrawal, too.

I hope yours gets better soon!

Well, I went to the doctor today. He said he didnt think I had acute stomach, or acute gall bladder. He said he thinks it's all from too much stomach acid. Ive been taking prilosec but its NOT working. He prescribed me 300mg zantac pills. I took one 1 1/2 hours ago, and still NOTHING IS HELPING.

Now, things are starting to get pretty scary.  How are the stomach pills not stopping the production of acid? Is this benzo related? My anxiety over this is terrible. I am steadily getting slammed with other symptoms, so im thinking this could be withdrawal related. I did have this (or something extremely similar) in early withdrawal. Its not just acid, theres like a pressure behind my breast bone in my upper abdomen and it feels like an open sore in there at times. The pressure and pain seems to radiate through to my back, and my back is hurting and in spasms and it all seems connected. Since ive been getting slammed with other bad sx, thats why i think it could possibly be WD. I'm grasping at straws here.

I was doing ok, until this symptom hit. Very hard to believe theres not something very very wrong going on in there. I am going to go to get an upper GI inspection to ease my mind.

Any input is welcome, and greatly appreciated.

Hope-fiend, protracted GI issues are mentioned in Ashton's work as occurring. Stress over them produces anxiety and either anxiety itself or enervation of a still somewhat raw CNS can produce all kinds of other symptoms. Get yourself checked out to make sure nothing is wrong, but try to ease your mind afterwards if nothing is found because it is very easy to cycle into the chains of anxiety and all the problems that brings. I know from first hand experience. When you get checked out and nothing is found, it is very likely that there is indeed nothing wrong (other than anxiety or benzo-related issues).

Hi Hope-Fiend,

I have exactly your symptoms.  It is awful.  They found gallstones and there is a possibility that I need my gallbladder removed.  It sucks.  I am not sure what to do because I have the same fear you have about not knowing if it is w/d related or my gallbladder or something else.  It causes so much anxiety for me, especially because I am going to have to make a decision next week to have my gallbladder removed or not.  But, the pain I have is so intense and they did find gallstones, so I am leaning towards having the surgery -- not happy about it. Don't like to lose organs and am very upset because I do believe this all happened because of the w/d,  My w/d is through the roof right now due to my stomach pain.  i know they say it is so common and it is a symptom that can last a long time -- but, what do you believe.  I had an ultrasound to find the gallstones -- maybe you could have your GI doctor do an endoscopy and an ultrasound to rule out anything,.  I don't know what to do either....i have so much sympathy for you and what you are going through.

Take care,

-g

Hi Hope-Fiend,

I have exactly your symptoms.  It is awful.  They found gallstones and there is a possibility that I need my gallbladder removed.  It sucks.  I am not sure what to do because I have the same fear you have about not knowing if it is w/d related or my gallbladder or something else.  It causes so much anxiety for me, especially because I am going to have to make a decision next week to have my gallbladder removed or not.  But, the pain I have is so intense and they did find gallstones, so I am leaning towards having the surgery -- not happy about it. Don't like to lose organs and am very upset because I do believe this all happened because of the w/d,  My w/d is through the roof right now due to my stomach pain.  i know they say it is so common and it is a symptom that can last a long time -- but, what do you believe.  I had an ultrasound to find the gallstones -- maybe you could have your GI doctor do an endoscopy and an ultrasound to rule out anything,.  I don't know what to do either....i have so much sympathy for you and what you are going through.

Take care,

-g

Hey G, sorry you're having it rough too. If they did find gallstones, then there's really not much choice but to have it removed, is it? I had a friend have his gallbladder removed a few years ago, and everything went very smooth. I think it was even a fairly quick day surgery thing? I know his scars are very small and he was surprised it was not as bad as he anticipated. Maybe yours will go very smooth as well, if you have to have the operation. Still, I know it sucks to have to have an organ removed!

I am doing much better than when I started this thread. The 300mg Zantac (twice a day)  is working. I think I may have an ulcer, or sometihng in there was severely inflamed from the acid. I am pretty sure this last flare up of severe acid was withdrawal related, because it happened as other symptoms were hitting me. It did scare the hell out of me though! Otherwise with all my other symptoms, I am coping well, and know I will heal. With my past experience in the last 26 months, it ALWAYS GETS WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER, and when it gets better again, it is usually better than the last time.  :yippee:

hi,

just read through this thread, the title caught my eye as I have been having heartburn type pain, and feeling full and sick most of the time after i eat, especially eggs/dairy..typical gallbladder triggers.

I have also thought of being tested for h pylori but so far haven't been...i did not used to have these kinds of issues.

I don't know if it's appropriate to make alternative suggestions here, but I wanted to suggest a book The Liver and Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse: An All-Natural, At-Home Flush to Purify and Rejuvenate Your Body by Andreas Moritz.  If I were possibly going to have to have my gallbladder out, I would try everything possible to prevent that.  This book was recently lent to me by a friend, who herself was on the verge of getting hers out. She did this cleanse three times and has been symptom free ever since.  No fasting is required...I was in the process of preparing for it, but I have developed another problem that I must have a colonoscopy to diagnose. So for now I've put the liver/gallbladder flush on hold, but I just had to mention it here.  If you have time, read some of the reviews on amazon, I think lots of people have saved their gallbladders by doing it. 

Interested to know what you guys find out about the h pylori. I would imagine that the amoxicillin would not cause any problems. 

Hope-fiend,

Thank you so much for your kind post.  I really appreciate it.  Just came back from the ER.  They did a CT scan of my abdomen, pelvis and my chest and all came back normal with the exception of my gallstones.  So, it does look like I do have to have my gallbladder taken out.  Not fun.  I am scheduled for an endoscopy on Tuesday to rule out stomach ulcers, etc., but I will hopefully have the gallbladder surgery this week, as I am in so much pain.  I am so glad the Zantac is working.  I hope you don't have an ulcer.  Maybe you should get an endoscopy, as that would determine if you have a stomach ulcer.  But, if the Zantac is working maybe see how it goes.  Stomach problems are very common during w/d -- it is so hard to know what is a true illness or just our w/d kicking in.  Never a dull moment.  I hope you get better soon.  Stomach pain is no fun that is for sure.

Take care,

-g

Have had a bleeding ulcer and the only relief I could get was with the pain med--Darvocet. Now it's been pulled from the market. When I was given zetia for cholesterol issues, it felt as if I swallowed liquid fire, I writhed and cried out in pain for hours. Then my sister suggested I drink aloe vera juice. I chugged about a half a cup and in a few minutes sweet relief. Hope-Fiend, did they even do an endoscope to see if you have an ulcer(s)? Man, I feel sorry for you. Stomach, g.i. pain is horrendous. Will keep you in prayer!

:therethere:....T2

I am going through something similar here.  Almost 12 months out so not sure this is wd related.  Sharp pain in left side under rib cage at times.  Feels like a knife...then leaves quickly.  Still sore like muscle pains in lower abdomen and now insane lower back pain.  Orthopedic said its a abdomen strain and lumbar strain...possibly from lifting stuff at work and free time (playing with a 3 year old and tossing him around maybe?!). 

However, this was 3 weeks ago that it started.  Still in pain as I type this. Going to GP tomorrow to talk to him about it.  CT Scan of lower abdomen came back clear.  X-Ray and blood/urine tests clean as well.  No idea what the hell is going on.  Maybe just a sever strain as orthopedic thinks.  Just amazed how long this has been going on without any relief happening.  Oh, taking Hydrocodone for the pain now.  Was very surprised how well I am taking these.  They seem to make my usual dizzy feeling from the wd better and relax me more. 

It is called benzo belly.  There is so much I could tell you about what you are experiencing.  We don't find out about how much benzos rip apart our guts, until the symptoms get this bad.  Unfortunately doctors don't have a clue what is happening to us and they usually give you things that end up making matter worse.  What is happening is that you GI system is in complete stress.  Food plays an important role in withdrawal.  And later as your symptoms settle some, you will see how certain food can flare certain symptoms.

Another thing to consider is that with our weak immune system during withdrawal, this give ways for bad bacteria to mutate and we get an overgrowth of fungus called Candida.  I can give you many links on this, but if you google Candida diet, and Candida symptoms, you will find a lot of information about what you are feeling.

Eventually if you don't change your eating, you may start to bloat, either have constipation or diarrhea,  you may have burning sensations and acid reflux.  Acid reflux can also be from not enough acid and without test, those acid pills can do more harm than good.

If you've reached a stage in withdrawal that your are experiencing major GI issues, you may need to change the way you eat for the time being.  I didn't figure this out until my GI has almost stop working.  I became sugar intolerant, gluten intolerant, dairy intolerant, and carbs. would flare my mental symptoms.  It's also important to stay away from caffeine.  It has taken me a long time, but I can eat more now and I have so much more peace inside.

We are left alone to deal with this mess benzos did to us, and a major area that needs to be dealt with is in our GI system.  Heal the gut and you can heal the brain.  Our endocrone system is affected as well as our solar plexis and vagus nerve.  Serotonin is generated in our gut which also afffects our symtpoms.

Please try not to worry, because as with other symptoms, benzo belly will improve over time, but in this area, you have to be proactive with what you eat.  I've tried so many GI supplements, but the best medicine was to eat mostly meats and vegetables only, cut out everything else, even condiments.  I know it sounds drastic, but give it a few weeks and you will see as so many other did, a big difference overall.

Good luck!

I hada n episode like this about 6 months off benzos.

Even with the Zantac, my stomach is still not "right". A while after I eat, no matter what I eat or drink, if I belch, it is the nastiest bitterness you can imagine. Arggghhhhhh. Oh well thats a lot better than the way I was a few days ago.

You might try taking some probiotic after you eat a meal.  That seems to stop any burning that I feel.

I'm taking zantac, too.  Do you notice any side effects from it ? 

Hope you feel better, soon.

I hada n episode like this about 6 months off benzos.

Even with the Zantac, my stomach is still not "right". A while after I eat, no matter what I eat or drink, if I belch, it is the nastiest bitterness you can imagine. Arggghhhhhh. Oh well thats a lot better than the way I was a few days ago.

Have you done a stomach acid test? Too little acid has similar symptoms to too much acid. Try the teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and if it helps your belly then you may have to little acid, if it upsets your stomach you may have too much. If it does bother you drink some water with baking soda. If it helps, then consider trying some supplements to increase stomach acidity or continue with apple cider vinegar if it helps. Adjust your diet accordingly to your outcome of the acidity test.