Remeron 15 mg for sleeping

[Ni...]

I have Remeron 15mg in the night for sleeping. It is very good, not addictive and no tolerance. I  have had it since I started to  kick off Valium. Funny that this smaller dose of Remeron is good for sleeping and for instance 30 mg and more are used as a morning/day medicine for depression. Somehow I don't understand the logic in this, but this 15 mg has helped me a lot while tapering. I started at 25 mg Valium a day summer of 2006.

[65...]

Nikki,

Some drugs are funny that way. I think that Neurontin can be tricky too. It's always a good idea to know all about any drugs that we take. There's also a lot of difference in effect from person to person.

Jana

Hi, frankly speaking I didn't believe this Remeron 15 mg as a sleeping pill when my doctor told me about it. I knew that Remeron is an antidepressant or something like that and that usual dose is somewhere from 30 mg and above. This logic that lower dose would work out like a sleeping pill was just to much for me. I said to my doctor that "Now You're really putting me on and trying to fool me. Do anything else, but don't give me this!" She said this is true. I said "Alright, I'll try it, but if this a joke I'll let You hear about it later and loud". Okay, I went to pharmacy and we have never ever talked about this thing anymore with my doctor. I have had this Remeron every night since I stared to taper last summer and it really works out fine with me. No problems with sleeping at all.

Lexofree explained a bit about how Remeron doses work in his post here.

The way I understand Remeron, the first 15mgs stimulate serotonin production, but do little to stimulate norepinephrine.  Without stimulation of norepinephrine, the extra serotonin tends to cause drowsiness.  When you take 30mgs, the other 15mgs stimulates certain norepinephrine sites to counteract the extra serotonin, so it counteracts the day drowsiness.  Those are 'ballpark' amounts as some may find that 15mgs is enough to stimulate the production of both neurotransmitters.  45 - 60 mgs seems to be the limit as taking more than that amount is reported to have no extra effect.  It also acts similar to Benadryl by acting on certain histamine sites, which is how it improves sleep.

It's important to understand that when a doctor tells you that something is 'not addictive', they do not mean that you may not become physically dependent. 'Not addictive' and 'physically dependent' are considered to be two completely different things. With antidepressants, it isn't referred to as withdrawal, but as 'discontinuation syndrome'.

Here's part of a statement by Organon. Mirtazapine is the generic name for Remeron.

Discontinuation Symptoms

Patients currently taking mirtazapine should NOT be discontinued abruptly, due to risk of discontinuation symptoms. At the time that a medical decision is made to discontinue an SSRI or other newer anti-depressant drug, a gradual reduction in the dose rather than an abrupt cessation is recommended.

When/if the time comes for me to be off Remeron, I plan to go slowly with it.  ;)

It's important to understand that when a doctor tells you that something is 'not addictive', they do not mean that you may not become physically dependent. 'Not addictive' and 'physically dependent' are considered to be two completely different things.

Of course I understand this. I'm not an idiot and once more get free willingly addicted like I have done with this Benzo sometime in the early 70ies. Too heavy price to pay. Doing it all the time.

What in the earth is NOT addictive? TV? Radio? Music? Religion? Sex? Internet?  The list is endless.

Of course I understand this.

I'm glad, Nikki.  :)

Sometimes, people are in such a bad way while going through benzo withdrawal that they will take anything in an effort to help themselves. It can sound really good when your doctor tells you that something isn't addicting. I wasn't really making my post for your benefit only; I was hoping that anyone reading and considering trying Remeron would get some information they might not have had otherwise.

I'm glad Remeron is working well for you; I consider it a life-saver for me.

Hi Jan!

And thanks. I personally think that too many people too easily take comfort with sleeping pills no matter are those Remeron or addictive benzo type medicine. I think that having a bad slept night or not at all sleeping for a night or even two is not that dangerous or hard to go through. I believe very much in listening to your body and soul and natural healing methods like fresh air, long walks and naturally way get physically tired and via that way get to sleep. Today's society is so medication oriented that it almost commercializes this thing. I have this 15 mg Remeron because of my Valium tapering and I'm very happy that it has so far guaranteed me a good night sleep. In a fact, I think I'll pretty soon try to get sleep without Remeron. First things first and the first right now for me is kicking off this Valium.