Grow Brain Cells

[08...]

[08...]

Hi Buddies,

A story via  Reuters (Washington) shows that new brain cells appear in response to exercise. The cells were found  by using MRI studies before and after aerobic exercise.

The area of the brain is the dentate gyrus, an area known for memory loss. The study was headed by neurologist, Dr. Scott Small,  of Columbia University Medical Center in New York. 

I didn't copy the actual article  because the copyright doesn't allow it.

"Copyright 2007 Reuters. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed."

The kind of exercise, duration, and time before effects appear were not mentioned. It was described only as aerobic. For those of us who fear that our minds may never be the same again this is good news.

I suspect that we could make our minds better than they were before benzos. Some things that also encourage brain blood flow are Ginko Biloba and Vinpocetine.

Nutrients of interest include:Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Co-enzyme Q 10, and Phosphatidylserine. Some of these have more than one mode of action. The amounts needed aren't small though.

Jana

Hi Jana,

You can quote from it! If you are unsure of what you can and cannot do with material that is not in the public domain, search for 'fair use' and 'copyright'. You can always add a link too! ;)

[08...]

Hi Colin,

Okay, I have a better idea now of what can be legitimately shared. The essence of this article is that we have more ability to heal than we knew and that it's aerobic excercise that is effective in growing new brain cells.

I hope that more information will follow. I also hope that people will share whatever they find.

Jana

• 2 months later...
All I know is that aerobic exercise makes me feel better in w/d than anything else I can do. That says something. It definitley makes my depression better  Flick