switched from clonazapam to alprazolam

[re...]

Hello everyone!

I was started on clonazapam two years ago and had no idea it was so addictive so quickly.  I want off of all benzos for good!  My Dr just switched me from 2 mg clonazapam over to alprazolam and I need guidance in the taper process.  Nice to meet you all!

Hello readytofly,

Nice to meet you as well.  It sounds like you are determined to withdraw from benzos, you have come to the right place for encouragement and support.

I am curious as to why your doctor is switching you from a long acting benzo to a short acting benzo.  Usually it is done the other way around to avoid those dramatic between dose symptoms.  I am going to put a link to the Ashon Manual, there is a lot of good information about benzos and withdrawal.

We are glad you have  joined the forum, please feel free to ask questions. 

Ashton Manual

pianogirl

Hi and welcome.  I was switched also from a long acting to shorter acting benzo.  You may feel some uncomfortableness due to the switch, or you may not.

I just suggest, if you can get your doctor to allow this, that you don't cut down for a while, like a month or so, after the switch.  You need time to adjust to the switch.

Hello readytofly,

Welcome to the forum !

I too am pleased to meet you  :)

When you are feeling up to it, can I invite you to create a Signature (history of use and taper )

This will enable others to see, at a glance, what meds you are taking and where you are up to with your taper once you commence it, so that we can properly advise you when you need it.

To create a Signature...Profile / Forum Profile, look for Signature, type in the text box and save the changes.

I wish you well and look forward to seeing you around the forum.

Debbie  :mybuddy:

I too went from longer acting to shorter acting.  I found it is very important to stabalize on a certain dose for a while when doing this.  I have been on the same dose of xanex 1-1.5 mgs daily since I c/t Klonopin. I will probably go down to just 1 mg a day this wknd but, I have stayed on this dose for 3 weeks now to let my body and mind relax some.  the K withdrawl was hell.  3 weeks later some relief physically but, I am still waiting to maek a cut in the xanex since I am almost feeling ok.  Need a break.  that k withdrawl was exhausting

Welcome to BB readytofly.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.  We will be there to support you the rest of the way on you taper. 

Take care,

Popcornlay