benzo belly

I know you all are probably getting sick of hearing about my benzo belly. It is the only symptom I have left after almost 7 weeks off klonopin. Are there any stories out there that you can tell of your benzo belly healing. I have pain and spasm all day long. How long did it take for the pain to go away? I don't care about the swelling and bloat, I just want the pain to go away. This is my 2nd run with the drug and it took a good 10 months before I felt relief the first time. i took it for about a year, and cold turkeyed it because I didn't know any better. I stayed off for a year and a half then had severe belly pain in dec and had to reinstate in jan. I took it jan and feb and sort of cold turkeyed again. I should have known better but I felt worse trying to taper than if I just got off. I hope it doesn't take another 10 months to feel better.

I know you all are probably getting sick of hearing about my benzo belly. It is the only symptom I have left after almost 7 weeks off klonopin. Are there any stories out there that you can tell of your benzo belly healing. I have pain and spasm all day long. How long did it take for the pain to go away? I don't care about the swelling and bloat, I just want the pain to go away. This is my 2nd run with the drug and it took a good 10 months before I felt relief the first time. i took it for about a year, and cold turkeyed it because I didn't know any better. I stayed off for a year and a half then had severe belly pain in dec and had to reinstate in jan. I took it jan and feb and sort of cold turkeyed again. I should have known better but I felt worse trying to taper than if I just got off. I hope it doesn't take another 10 months to feel better.

sassbs, I have not seen my feet in about 6 months. The gi problems are my worst symptom right now. It is encouraging yours went away after ten months. My stomach feels like i have tumors in it and after every meal i get bloating and stinging all over my torso. others that have had this symptom go away will chime in. I'm very interested in this topic myself. hope you feel better soon,rstud

The first time I got off the drug, it took about 3 months for the pain to subside, but the spasms never really went away. I took a break from alcohol for the first 3 months, but after that I could not tolerate the pain anymore, so I did drink quite a bit and it took 10 months for me to feel somewhat normal. This time, i cut out the alcohol and don't plan to drink again til i am fully healed. Hopefully cause I didn't take it as long, it wont take as long to heal. I am kinda counting on that 3 month mark, and I know I shouldn't, cause no one really knows. I am kinda nervous cause this is my 2nd time around. I do take EmergenC daily, and I notice that it takes the pain in my right lower abdomen away, but I do feel like there is a tight band around my midsection which is more tolerable than the whole belly hurting. I hope this helps. Do you still have pain tho or is it just the bloating big belly? I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for responding.

I am sorry, I just had to move this back to the front. I can't take the pain. I need suggestions. I am depressed about the pain. Anyone know if because this is my second time around if the symptoms might longer. The first time, it took 3 months for it to subside, but I took it off and on for a year and cold turkeyed it.  I am a little over half way there. On top of it I caught a nasty cold. If someone could give me a little hope that maybe i only have 6 more weeks of excrutiating pain. It is really the only withdrawal that I have left. Anyone do a holistic detox with vitamins and nutrion with massages and sauna and counseling? I am really thinking I need to get away to deal with all this.

I've had debilitating GI pain.  I still have the bloat and bm issues, but the pain has left (knock wood).  I don't know if this actually had helped but this is what I did that seemed to help:

yoga stretches - cobra to stretch out the top part of my belly; gentle torso twists

massage  -- lay on back with knees bent then in slow clockwise circles starting from belly button and moving out

pacing -- walking around and massaging my belly

No dairy, no onions as both of these foods caused lots of pain.

I hope these suggestions help

Hi Hope , Rs and Sas

I am 11 months next week  and my almost last w/s is huge belly , pressure  abdom. nausea . Some days is better , some is bad .

What help me is bike or walk fast ,  tention from body go away with exercise . But stomach is huge , 10 lbs only in abdominal .  cannot fit in anything , but baggy pants . :-[:( Can exercise like crazy  and stop eat , but stomach dont' go away , always there . :smitten: :smitten:

Hi hope,

If I might ask, how long did it take for the pain to go away? I can handle the bloat but thi pain everyday is terrible! I'm on my 7 th week, so Im in the lack of appetite, weight loss stage, and Bowel problem stage, but I can deal with that, but I just wish the. Burning stabbing day in and day out pain would go away. I can't exercise yet, but as soon as I can I am going to!

Thanks

I have a dull ache in my lower abdomen, and for a while had the constant urge to urinate which wasn't from a UTI. The more severe pain and urge to urinate went away in the 3rd week I believe, a few days after partially reinstating, and are just mild now.

Sometimes....people detoxing from benzos can develop "gastritus" which is inflamation of the stomach lining.  Antacids like Tums or Prilosec do not help in any way.  I developed this problem and started taking a medication called Carafate.  Symptoms of Gastritus can be indegestion, weight loss, belching and LOTS OF GAS coming out of both ends.  It sucks!

Carafate actually lays down a protective coating on your stomach lining which allows any type of inflamation to heal.  The inflamation could be an ulcer as well.  Anyway...this med did work for me but the Gastritus keeps coming back from time to time so I keep the Carafate with me at all times.  I do not recommed taking this med for an extended periond of time because it contains Aluminum but when I'm in pain I dont give a damm what the med has in it as long as it workd. 

Is there any possibility that these symptoms can come with a wave as far out as month 11?  I am having crazy stomach cramps and pains on my left side.  No changes in bowl movement or urine.  Went to doctor and had 3 blood tests, 2 urine tests, 1 xray and 1 ct scan done.  Perfect bill of health returned and I look like a crazy.  Just lots of pressure pain yet no gas.  I am also in somewhat of a wave since this started...either cause its my time again or I been working my stress level up so damn high that my body is about to explode. 

Anyone know if its possible?  Really need to put my mind at ease since nothing shows up on any test.  Doctor is thinking of sending me to a GI now but a colonoscopy at 32 is the last thing I want to consider!  Especially since I have ZERO side symptoms going on besides the usual Benzo ones (dizzy, ill, depressed, stressed etc).  ARG!  :pokey:

Is there any possibility that these symptoms can come with a wave as far out as month 11?  I am having crazy stomach cramps and pains on my left side.  No changes in bowl movement or urine.  Went to doctor and had 3 blood tests, 2 urine tests, 1 xray and 1 ct scan done.  Perfect bill of health returned and I look like a crazy.  Just lots of pressure pain yet no gas.  I am also in somewhat of a wave since this started...either cause its my time again or I been working my stress level up so damn high that my body is about to explode. 

Anyone know if its possible?  Really need to put my mind at ease since nothing shows up on any test.  Doctor is thinking of sending me to a GI now but a colonoscopy at 32 is the last thing I want to consider!  Especially since I have ZERO side symptoms going on besides the usual Benzo ones (dizzy, ill, depressed, stressed etc).  ARG!  :pokey:

I'm sorry you are experiencing this...  I can't give any medical advice of course but...If you are in a wave and having other sx I would guess yes it is more wd sx.    Could you wait it out a week or so and see if it passes?

I had a colonoscopy done at 26 lol, because at the time the ativan turned my stomach into a vegetable.  I didn't know it at the time but after I started to develop tolerance, my body couldn't tolerate certain foods, actually a lot of foods, and I would have extreme diahria and then it would switch to extreme constipation.  They thought  I had crohn's disease but thankfully I didn't,  it was all from the Ativan. 

Thanks for the responses.  Yes.  I can hold out for a bit longer here.  It is just very uncomfortable.  I haven't had much GI issues in my life.  During month 2 of c\t wd I had the clay like stool for a month.  It was pretty scary but I read up on it and didn't worry about it and it passed. 

This whole thing is different though since I have all my energy to focus on this now and of course my anxiety is getting the best of me.

The internet is really not a good tool for medical issues as far as self diagnose.  I have gone from IBS, to Chrons, to kidney stone, to testicular cancer, to food poisoning, to pancrease disease etc etc etc.  I need to just stay away from google!  Lol.  :D

Thanks for the responses.  Yes.  I can hold out for a bit longer here.  It is just very uncomfortable.  I haven't had much GI issues in my life.  During month 2 of c\t wd I had the clay like stool for a month.  It was pretty scary but I read up on it and didn't worry about it and it passed. 

This whole thing is different though since I have all my energy to focus on this now and of course my anxiety is getting the best of me.

The internet is really not a good tool for medical issues as far as self diagnose.  I have gone from IBS, to Chrons, to kidney stone, to testicular cancer, to food poisoning, to pancrease disease etc etc etc.  I need to just stay away from google!  Lol.  :D

I know what you mean.  without this board I would be at the docs/ed all the time.... so many different, weird sx. 

Bliss Johns says that if a sx is troubling you to get it checked out medically but 99% of the time it is wd.  Sounds like you checked out Ok; You know by know that if you post your sx here you'll find lots of others with the same sx; so you'll know it is the drug. 

You mentioned stress lately, that can cause flare of sx.  Maybe there was a food that you ate that triggered.... I can't do dairy or onions yet.  They cause intense belly problems including awful cramping pains. 

Breathe.  Do some gentle yoga.  Go for a walk.  Watch a funny movie.  Distract your self.

I hope this passes for you very soon. 

Best XOX

I know what you mean.  without this board I would be at the docs/ed all the time.... so many different, weird sx. 

Bliss Johns says that if a sx is troubling you to get it checked out medically but 99% of the time it is wd.  Sounds like you checked out Ok; You know by know that if you post your sx here you'll find lots of others with the same sx; so you'll know it is the drug. 

You mentioned stress lately, that can cause flare of sx.  Maybe there was a food that you ate that triggered.... I can't do dairy or onions yet.  They cause intense belly problems including awful cramping pains. 

Breathe.  Do some gentle yoga.  Go for a walk.  Watch a funny movie.  Distract your self.

Best XOX

Funny thing is that walking actually doesn't hurt like sitting does.  When I walk I feel a pull on the left side and leg and that is all.  When I sit..like right now...but lower abdomen hurts like mad.  Its got to be a pulled muscle dammit!  lol. 

Oh, and nobody think I can still have any benzo issues considering its been almost a year.  I started to believe that myself.  But now I am not so sure.

Best XOX

Funny thing is that walking actually doesn't hurt like sitting does.  When I walk I feel a pull on the left side and leg and that is all.  When I sit..like right now...but lower abdomen hurts like mad.  Its got to be a pulled muscle dammit!  lol. 

Oh, and nobody think I can still have any benzo issues considering its been almost a year.  I started to believe that myself.  But now I am not so sure.

Hi Unr

i will be 11 next week and only what is left is GI . Sensitive food and stress . When moving , no problem , when sit  can feel it stomach like you .

Any stress my abdominal get huge , dairy , gluten, vegies , sugar , salt , protein  etc make my abdom also swollen and tight and pressured . 

Stress i think is worst for post benzo , period .

I bike or speed walk get rid of stress .

I hope this will go away like other w/d . :smitten: 

4 years off and this problem still insists on hanging on.  hope56's advice is good  "Breathe.  Do some gentle yoga.  Go for a walk.  Watch a funny movie.  Distract your self."  BTW, I can't tolerate protein, sugar or gluten either, which means I have no weight problem, for sure.  This has forced me into an excellent healthy lifestyle ... which aint so bad.