The Klonopin Klub

[re...]

Hey K-Klub:

Hope all are well.  I have not been on here for a while.  A lot of people who were once on here seem gone - which I think is a sign that people get off this stuff and move on.  I am frustrated where I'm at in this process.  I've cut from 4mg daily to 1mg daily in the last 9 months.  I guess I should feel happy about where I'm at but I really just want to be off this stuff already.  The advice I've gotten here, and by my psychiatrist, and by therapist and by friends and by everything I've read about long term benzo use is slow and steady is the most gentle way to go.  It gives me the best shot of coming off successfully with sanity in tact and job, apartment, etc.  I have been on benzos for 6 years now.  I have also been taking an antidepressant for 13 years.  I want to come off the antidepressants too; but the advice i have been given from all my sources is to taper off the antidepressants after the benzo taper and w/d is well done.  More than anything else I want to put all those pills in the trash and say fuck it.  But I can't.  I know that.  It's not safe and would not benefit me.

I have been feeling paradoxical symptoms lately.  I feel more "medicated" than ever.  I feel cog fog, sleepy, glassy eyed, surreal, mood swings, anxiety.  I mean there are less drugs in my system and I feel more drugged.  What the fuck is that?  I even quit drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes like a year ago.  I would think all these lessening of drugs might make me feel less "drugged."  Will I ever feel anything approaching normalcy?  I certainly have good days; but I am shocked at how altered I can feel.  I am sick of taking pills!

Heart advice anyone?

Tired and Lonely,

Brian

• Replies 31.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ca...]

• [NY...]

• [In...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brainrecovering: you have cut almost twice what I have cut in about the same amount of time... i don't wonder you are in the throes of w/d.  you might consider slowing it down... especially at the lower doses... we all get frustrated w/ how long it takes... i would suggest staying where you are until you feel stable and then resume a much slower taper... no more than 10% of your last dose... hold for 10 -14 dys... has worked well for me... liquid titrating may be even smoother. 

Hey Brian - I'm still lurking around.  ;) You will, will, will feel better, I promise! Look how far you've come in almost a year! I'm behind you - keep on keepin' on!

JKS, carry on the torch, you cornerstone you  ;)

Njoy, I read your posts all the time. You are doing great and still imparting sagely advice in your lyrical mode. I am dying to know where is the river of which you speak, the one you go out on (been trying to figure out where you live for a year now - narrowed it down to Northeast).

Reks, I have on my droid to write you - just haven't had the time - I haven't forgotten you, dear friend (if you're reading this)!

We moved last Thursday and it has been craziness, for real. I'm encountering Klonopin Karnage all over the place right now and it sucks  :-\ Too much to write. I had an anxiety attack yesterday and, of course, didn't take Klonopin. And mother-in-law has been here for 6 days...ARGH!

Anyway, windowful days to all!

Good morning K Klub,

Today, after 4 months of titrating my last .5 mg. of K..... I JUMPED!!!!!!

I took my last dose yesterday a.m. Wow, It seemed like it would take a long time when I began but it actually went by pretty fast. The last few weeks my sx have been stronger than through out the rest of my titration. I've read that it is that way for some so I pressed on. Not so bad though that I was "in bed" sick. Mostly benzo flu and headaches. Still feel that way. I am excited to have jumped yet nervous as to what will happen now that I am off K completely. It will be what it will be.

Today I will be taking my left over titrated milk (I've kept it in a jar in the refrig), along with my remaining K pills to the county disposal site to be destroyed. Not going to leave even a crumb around the house! Good riddance klonopin.

Njoy:  I want to thank you for reaching out to me when I first came to BB. I went back to my first post and re-read. I was curious to check out my state of mind at the time. I really didn't remember. Is that because of the withdrawal or the K? It really doesn't matter, just wanted to thank you, you're awesome!

To everyone else (including Njoy), be good to youselves. Go slow. You too will finish up and be K free, it takes time.

Love and prayers for you all,

hopeful2013

Hopeful 2013 congratulations!  No matter what comes next, you are done with klonopin!!  That is fantastic news.

Brian I miss some people around here too. I like to pretend they are all on a fantastic summer vacation and will be back to tell us about it soon. But seriously, the loneliness is one of the hardest parts of this. Otherwise why would we all be "talking" to our computers about something so personal and difficult? But you are never alone! You have done an amazing job cutting what you have so far. Have you read the post on the main withdrawal board about what is happening to your brain? You feel drugged now because you are swamped with glutamate that your body was producing to try to counter all the external drugs. It is a potent neurotransmitter and soon your body will learn that you dont need so much anymore. As for the AD- in the past when I had symptom-free tapers (but went back on due to mistaken medical advice) I was on an SSRI. I think that may be the reason you have accomplished so much relatively easily. Dont hate it, just know that it is there for a reason for now and that too will be overcome eventually. It is ok to pause here for a while, gather your strength and make a new plan for the rest. As njoy said, you want to keep your cuts proportional to your dose. Sounds like you have a supportive doc, so ask for 0.5 mg (or smaller if you can get them where you are) pills to make the smaller cuts easier.

I feel like a bit of a fake handing out advice today. But thanks for the support jaxnj. I am a corner who has been run over by a bus the last couple of mornings. Waking at 4:30 with adrenaline coursing through my veins. I know what this is. I know that it goes away. The last two weeks have been great and I will Just Keep Swimming!!!

Today marks a week since I jumped and the K should be out of my system.  I feel pretty good - about the same as during titration.  I slept really well last night, too, which always helps.

Godsgrace - It got easier for me the closer I got to being finished.  I was able to make much larger cuts and could easily handle it.  I think I have about three more weeks before I'll be symptom-free, but I already feel pretty good.  I'll admit that last week was pretty rough, but I'm definitely through the worst of it.

Even if your experience is nothing like mine, I do think anyone can find a comfort zone where tapering isn't a complete nightmare.

Deinoncote,

Your post is very encouraging. I've been nervous about the days to come. Sure hope that like you I will feel pretty good. I hope to read how you are doing in the weeks to come as I am 1 week behind you.

All the best,

hopeful2013

Jaxy, I am in the  NE.  :) I kayak the Chemung, Tioga, Cohocton  and Seneca Rivers... a number of the Finger Lakes and occasionally I'll travel somewhere else to  paddle.  8) I might do the Susquehanna next year when I'm a little more up for it. :-\  Hopeful and Dienocote.. congratulations on jumping.  Such good news.  :clap::yippee::balloon:  :smitten:  Njoy

Hey guys Any suggestions on nausea?  I haven't down right puked yet but sure feel like it I went to my sleep apnea Dr today and he is worried something is wrong so I have to go see my stomach Dr Which intensifies my anxiety He asks why I wasn't using my C Pap machine and I told him if you don't sleep you don't have to use it do you but I do put it on if I even think I'm going to go to sleep...

On a better Note Congrats to you guys who have jumped So So proud of you guys  :thumbsup:  :yippee:  :)  :smitten:

Godsgrace I'm so sorry you are having a rough time Hang in there I can't say that I know it gets better yet because I have that to but I want you to know I'm here for you if you need me!

Jaxnj Glad you got moved Even with the mother in law  ;) being with you guys for a week

Hopeful2 I hope this doesn't mean you won't be back  :'( You have helped me tremendously Please don't leave us just the K You really are the best

Njoy You are the best too So please don't leave us You have helped me alot to So So So happy for all you guys that have jumped Yay go guys The K is gone now just focus on the positive and be GREAT to yourselves You deserve more that that.........

JKS Just keep Swimming like me Hang in there Girl your doing great

BR I can't give you much advice but please know You are in my thoughts and prayers

Deinonate Just wanted you to know I read most of your post Hang in there You are a great help and encouagement to me

A GREAT BIG thank you to all you guys Because you help me lots You never know how much you are helping another just by your post and encouagement  :smitten: 

Imsaved

Cold turkey off Klonipin 2mg three times a day

A month later found a Dr to listen and started me all over on Klonipin (2mg three times a day)

Since I had been without it anyway started out on 3mg a day (1mg three times a day)

First taper to 2.5 mg a day Couldn't handle it (1mg twice a day 1/2mg once a day)

Went up to 2 and 3/4 pill a day ( 1mg twice a day 3/4 mg once a day)

Down to 2 and 1/2 pill again Please pray ( 1mg twice a day and 1/2 once a day)

Down to 2 pills a day ( 1mg twice a day)

The new formulation of Dramamine, Dramamine II. Generic is Wal-dram II (meclizine tablets, 25 mg.) Also, the "traveler's companion", Pepto Bismol tablets.

Aweigh

Thank you so much Aweigh I will most def try one of these  :) That helps to know there are things to help with the nausea Did you have nausea with your wd? This is just making me so sick Thanks again

Imsaved

A month later found a Dr to listen and started me all over on Klonipin (2mg three times a day)

Since I had been without it anyway started out on 3mg a day (1mg three times a day)

First taper to 2.5 mg a day Couldn't handle it (1mg twice a day 1/2mg once a day)

Don't thank me until it has worked!  :P I haven't personally taken the meclizine, have heard that it works well for motion sickness. The PB has solved the problem for me at both ends, diarrhea and nausea. I've never had GI sx during my taper--yet. :-\

aweigh

Oh ok lol But I sure hope it works! Please keep me informed....

Hang in there

Imsaved

I'm in a mini hell today.  I think my tapering has hit a wall and is making me feel like I have the flu.  My body is aching, my thought is soar.  I had been smoking some MJ for the past couple of weeks, which really helped with the w/d, but I ran out and all hell has seemed to break loose.  Need some encouragement to keep going, this feels so hopeless.

I joined BB when a friend mentioned it to me when I decided to get off my Klonopin. I was on a tiny dose compared to many because my doctor warned me it was very addictive and I have an addictive personality. Who knew it would be so scary to get off even a tiny dose. I'm doing it for many reasons. Marriage problems is the big one. Not caused by my Klonopin, but it's inhibiting my ability to finish grieving for the "end" of what used to be. So, as I go through my taper, that's starting to surface. I knew it would and it was probably what I was the most scared of. However, I decided that being emotionless was even worse.

I started out on a cute little 0.25 mg of Klonopin. I put up with any anxiety or panic I had after 9:30 pm every night because I refused to take more. Only if it was real bad did I take an extra 0.25 mg.  So, that was my jumping point. As my body reacts interestingly to meds, I cut it down to 0.125 and started that this past Saturday. I'm dealing with some anxiety throughout the day, but I'm a knitter. I found that knitting a difficult lace pattern helps me the most. It takes the most concentration so I don't have the ability to think of anything else.

Since I was on a small dose, I'm planning on doing my final jump this next Saturday. I feel "lucky" that I was on a tiny dose to start with, but I'll admit it doesn't alleviate the fears that come with getting off it. Also finding out that your sleeping pill is also a benzo doesn't help. I have an appointment with my doc soon and I'll ask if there's anything else he can give me. I have a "very important, main med" that has a side effect of insomnia. However, it took us a YEAR to find a med that would work for my bipolar disorder, so I'm not about to give it up over a little insomnia. Melatonin doesn't work with it. I tried that first as it's worked for me for years. And I can't take anything OTC due to the "main med" as it can cause some serious disorders due to the fact 90% of them rely on Benadryl as their sleeping ingredient. Which also means it doesn't work for me anyway. Benadryl has never put me to sleep.

Sorry for the book. :-)  I just wanted to share my starting point, my first taper and how it's going. Real well all things considered. I'm not as scared about the final jump as I was about just starting. That was the hardest for me. I'm personally looking forward to that final jump.

Adam; you don't have the flu! :D  you just think you do... try to listen to some music or stay engaged w/ something to keep your mind from going there.  I know, I hate that feeling, but you can rise above it. :angel:  Ebook, welcome.

Hi Ebook and Adam First congratulations Ebook It is always great to hear people do make it Yay

Adam I will be honest I feel like something bad is wrong every time a nasty little sx rears it's nasty unwanted head (or I should say BIG sx) I hope you hang in there tho and I give you all of the encouragement in the world!  You have came along way! Wow I read where you came from and you have tapered WELL  :thumbsup:  Hang in there tho because I may need your encouragement tomorrow or even later on today....

Imsaved

Adam you have come a long way- everything you are feeling comes with the territory. Most people have better luck with cutting 0.125 every two weeks and slowing down from there if you need to. My suggestion (but I am not a doctor!) is to stay where you are in your dose until things feel manageable again. There is always the option of switching to valium if things become really challenging but you will need a benzowise doctor to help you with that. I am really just saying that because I dont want you to feel hopeless.  There are always options and there is a way out!

ebookworm hello. If you havent read the Ashton Manual yet, check it out- especially since you like to read :) I believe it says halcion is super short acting and that should go before klonopin. Not sure if that is your "main med" or if there is something else as well.  If you want to share the something else- dont worry - we've all been down the same road and no-one will judge you here!

Here is my philosophical ramble for the day: I was getting back into poor sleep territory and stressing a lot about an upcoming event. Didnt think I could handle it. Well then my daughter got a 102+ fever last night and was up all night. And guess what- I handled it! I feel like crud today, but that is part of life- and the stressful event is still happening full steam ahead. We are each stronger than we know or will admit to ourselves!

Thank you guys for the support.  I'm going to stay at 2.5 for a while and let things stabilize.  I have brought some K with me to work, but I don't know if taking it will help with the s/x.  Normally I take my full dose in the early evening.

Hello, everyone!  I'm just saying "hey."  I have not been able to keep up--was away for several days and totally offline, and it's amazing how fast this thread spins out.  Lots of new folks.  And veterans--hi Jax!  I just read your post saying you'd be in touch.  No hurry, but I'll be glad to hear from you.

Greetings and good wishes to all. 

Peace,

Rek

Hey everyone. Somewhat new to BB. After being on 1.5 mg of Klonopin for 2 years, I tapered down 1/4mg every two weeks until I was off. I was off it completely for 5 days and the withdrawals were unbearable!! I have a a job I need to hold and couldn't do it in that state. I went back on .25mg divided twice daily and have been on that dose for a couple months. I guess my question is has anyone else found that the less .25mg of Klonopin AWFUL to get off of. All the tapers before that were manageable, although the .5 to .25 was rough. I'd feel reassured knowing im not alone. Thanks guys/gals!!

Hi Trying,

.5 to .25 is a big cut. Symptoms likely to be quite bad. Consider cutting by 10%. Some are better off with 5% cuts. I switched to water titration, which has made the smaller cuts easier. I have so many days of windows now. Smaller cuts and a slow taper seem to be the way to go. You will suffer much less. Patience is required, of course, because we all want to get off this stuff as soon as we can. Do not rush your taper -- that is my advice anyway.

Slow and steady,

Cheery

[9f...]
Hi everyone! Im new and am trying to start a klonopin taper. However, Im 49 and perimenopausal. My pdoc wants me to wait until menopause and Im stable to taper. Not sure what to do, as that could be 2 yrs. Ive been on .5mg for 5 yrs now, for gad and panic. Ive done great for over a yr with no panic. I exercise daily, eat healthy and sleep well. I do have chronic neck pain and tension. Im afraid that could get much worse with a taper, but I do want to live med free. Ive tried on and off to take a piece off of my nightly dose, but feel horrible by 4pm the next day. Ive taken too large of a piece off, I suppose. Ive thought of buying a razor blade and just scraping some off everynight. Also thought of breaking my dose into 1/2 in morning and 1/2 in evening. Then i could taper off the morning dose first. I just dont know whats best. My pdoc just said, "take 1/2 one day and reg dose the next, and keep doing that until you can just take 1/2 the dose and go from there". Thats not gonna work, I got extreme vertigo trying that.

[66...]