Challis' Success

[Ch...]

After 31 years, I'm two months free today. I took my last dose April 7th, 2012.  April 8th, Easter, was my first day benzo-free in more than half my life.  I pushed my taper a little fast at the end to have it end on Easter, the day of rebirth.

I've never looked back nor been tempted to take another.  Life is brighter, the future is clear and clean, and I welcome it with open heart and open arms.

In a nutshell, benzodiazepines seemed to work for me for many years, starting with one Temazepam for sleep, then two.  When life hit me upside the head with tragedy, Xanax got me through for awhile.  It became a problem as tolerance set in.  I decided to end its power over my body.

I tapered for nine months.  It went relatively okay and I was functional until the end.  The end was brutal.  But thanks to this forum and all of you, I got through it.

At two months out I'm doing very well.  I have a little sound and light sensitivity, but it's diminishing.  I'm a bit weak physically.  I've logged a major amount of couch time, which would weaken anyone.  That's not withdrawal, just the result of laying around doing nothing except typing.  I'm working on it.

If I'm out and about for more than a few hours, I get a bit jittery and want to go home.  CNS is fragile, I know that's all it is and it will heal eventually.  I'm not a bit worried.  It all makes perfect sense. 

Thanks to this forum and thanks to all of you, I understand and I have no fear.

Love,

Challis http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/pigletmph/zadiffgrouphug.gif

http://www.graphicsgrotto.com/animatedgifs/images/agmisc3.gif

Congrats to my friend, Jennieh, who is also two months benzo-free today.  And to Lizzy and Jane and StanfordGal and Afighter, who are right behind us in their own freedom...love you, girlies!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ch...]

• [cl...]

• [Bu...]

• [Af...]

aww Challis CONGRATULATIONS.  This is awesome.  Couldn't happen to a nicer person. 

Love Ya

Renny :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Challis, I am ready to present my self as a success story.  It is superstitious to think that I am tempting fate to declare success too early.  Any day of successful taper or successful abstinence is a success.  So I celebrate with you with my own story.  This a wonderful day and we have the 8th of July to look forward to. 

Oh Challis I am gulping down tears of pure JOY for you. Before this I did not cry. Now the tears come easily. Tears of JOY for you my friend that you are healing and happy! You deserve it. You are an amazing encourager and friend.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Thanks for writing your success story!!!!

Love you!

:smitten:

Very awesome Challis :thumbsup: When I read these success stories, I thank God. I wish you many more great days ahead. :yippee:

Sincerely, snoball

[40...]

Challis

You know everyone loves a success story right its where we come to to get hope I sure now I couldnt read enough of them and now yours is one.  Im so proud of you my friend you have although suffering yourself have selflessly reached out to so many including me.  I remember when we first me believe it or not I was at my very worst and you always offered me light and hope and I will never forget your generosity to me and others.  I know life has been difficult at times right but you have come through and life is again wonderful.

Lizzyxx

[move]CONGRATS CHALLIS !!![/move]

Challis -

I can only say your presents, dedication, genuine compassion, & HUMOR clearly stands out in your posts. Your story is & will be inspirational to many.

Sincerely,

Joe :smitten:

challis, i've read your blog and i follow your posts. you are an awesome lady and help so many here with your intelligent answers to our problems. you have to be so proud of yourself to get off these drugs after so many years. you are a true inspiration to others here. i believe you are well on your way to a complete recovery after two months being benzo free.

i have one question, do you feel it was best to do the direct taper with xanax? i'm asking because i had a seizure coming off xanax cold turkey. it scared me so much i crossed to klonopin for a month then an eight month taper with valium. i really believe if i had not crossed to the valium i would have been much further along in recovery now. i know it's hard to say what is best but sometimes i feel the ashton protocol may not be the best for every situation. i really don't like the way valium made me feel.  wishing you happiness and health challis, rstud

challis, i've read your blog and i follow your posts. you are an awesome lady and help so many here with your intelligent answers to our problems. you have to be so proud of yourself to get off these drugs after so many years. you are a true inspiration to others here. i believe you are well on your way to a complete recovery after two months being benzo free.

i have one question, do you feel it was best to do the direct taper with xanax? i'm asking because i had a seizure coming off xanax cold turkey. it scared me so much i crossed to klonopin for a month then an eight month taper with valium. i really believe if i had not crossed to the valium i would have been much further along in recovery now. i know it's hard to say what is best but sometimes i feel the ashton protocol may not be the best for every situation. i really don't like the way valium made me feel.  wishing you happiness and health challis, rstud

Hi rstud,

Thanks for the nice comments, rstud.  It feels pretty darn good.  I do think it was best to directly taper from Xanax, for me anyway.  As I've read around the forum the last three or four months, it seems like a lot of people have trouble with Klonopin.

Ashton actually only recommends crossing over if someone fails to taper off the benzo they're on.  I tapered over a long time and particularly went slow at the end.  I've only tapered and only gone off once, so that may have helped, too.  I'll never take another one.

Don't look back now, my friend, just keep on healing...sleep, eat well, exercise and keep the stress down.  It'll happen, it's just going to take awhile.  Cold turkey Xanax had to have hurt... I cut .25 once and it about did me in.

Challis

Congratulations on being able to write your success story, may life's joys keep coming your way.

pianogirl

Congratulations Challis,

Continued healing wishes for you.  Enjoy your new found freedom...

Love, Betsy xxxx