Hi, supporter for senior mom

[...]

Hi, my mother's on a benzo long term now--clonazepam.  Although the doc says she'll be on it forever, I cannot and will not live with that---I am saddened by this and feel it's only hurting her, have questions, and need to help her.  Since she does not use a computer, I am her biggest advocate in this right now and looking for the best possible way to help however I can. 

Hello Suzy :hug:

Welcome to benzobuddies,Its  wonderful what your doing I admire you for being an advocate for your Mother

We can help you with a taper plan,  this will take you to The General Taper Board  Click Here

You'll find a great community of people who are very knowledgeable  and are willing to help

Its good to have you here feel free to check out the forum,  you can post when your ready to

If you have any questions we will be pleased to answer them if we can

Take Care

Magrita

Hello Suzy,

You are a good daughter to be so caring about your moms health. Welcome to the forum, we'll be happy to answer your questions.

Did the doctor say why your mom needed to be on the clonazepam forever? Would you mind sharing what side effects your mom is having and what dose she is taking.

With these types of medications tolerance can develop and it will take more and more of the medication to achieve the intended effect.

There is a wealth of information here at Benzo Buddies and some kind and friendly folks as well.

pianogirl

Hello Suzy, great that you are doing this for your mother. Can you tell why the docters tell her that she will never come off?

In what way is it hurting her? What does she want herself? Does she want to quit? It can be done. No matter what age. Docters often

tell these stories about never beiing able to quit, because they don`t have an alternative. Many of them have not a single glue of how

to help people to quit.

If your mother really want to quit please read the ashton manual. In this manual you will find all the answers you need. In combination

with the help of a good docter and this forum she will be able to w/d.

Switching to valium, and a slow taper will do the trick. If tapering slowy enough there is not that much discomfort?

Please don`t give up on her. These pills make her more sick then you will ever know. depression, weakmuscles, bad memory, no joy in live, social isolation and so on, all of this is causes by meds like these.

Help her, support her, tal to her, and stay close. Find another doc. for her if you have to.

Thanks to all of you.  I also have a lot of quetions, some same as yours, but my mother's symptoms of feeling weird, strange and sometimes shaky, tremors is unsettling and affects her life.  thinking of finding a local psych. doctor that can help her taper off so she has a solid plan from an expert that can help her along.  not confident about taking it in own hands since not too familiar with all this yet. difficult to follow it all up front when I work and can't always be there or go along to her doc. appts.  but I'm disturbed by this since she is and would really like to rule this out.

Hello suzy,

Welcome to the forum  :)

I too commend you for being an advocate for your mother.

I am so sorry your mum is suffering.

Here is a link to The Ashton Manual, a very informative read re benzodiazepines and how to withdraw from them. Might be an idea to print some literature off as a reference to show to your doctor.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

I sincerely wish you well

Debbie

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/index.htm

Suzy, hello,

Unfortunately, coming off benzos is one of those "most difficult thing in our life" issues for some people. 

We can certainly help you and your mother.  Yes, it would be wonderful to find a professional to help and I hope you can. There are a few out there who understand benzo withdrawal. Unfortunately, not too many do because it is not taught in medical school. Back in the 80's, governments in both the US and the UK issued strong warnings about the addictive nature of benzos and published prescribing "guidelines" of not more than a couple of weeks. These guidelines have been ignored.

I'm sure you've read the Ashton manual by now. I'm also going to find a link to a more current guideline being used in Australia.  It would be very helpful to print out at least the tapering schedules and take them along with you to see a doctor. If they are remotely interested in following those guidelines, then you are in luck. If not, and they say something like, "She'll be OK in a couple of weeks" - run! They have no knowledge of a proper withdrawal.

You have a long road ahead. I don't know how old your mother is, how high her dose is, or how long she has been on Klonipin. all these things are very real factors in whether or not she even should attempt to quit. One must weigh quality of life.

This is all new and foreign to you. I applaud you for wanting to help. We are here for you.  Just ask what you need to know.  We will help.

Here is the link to the Reconnextion manual from Australia. Looking forward to talking more.

Flip

http://www.nevdgp.org.au/files/programsupport/mentalhealth/2010/Beyond_Benzo%20Manual%202010_Reconnexion.pdf

Hi there, Suzy

I too am concerned for your mom.  How old is she and how long has she been taken benzos and how much?

My grandfater is 98 and he has been on benzos for 60+ yrs.  I recently got benzowise.  This withdrawal is VERY VERY VERY tough.  If your mom is as old as my grandfather...I say updose her and let her be.

This withdrawal HELL can last anywhere from 6 months to 3years or longer.  Chime in peeps if u disagree. Candy

You are right on, in my opinion, Candy. Oh, your poor grandfather! What a travesty!  That just breaks my heart. I thought my 12 lost years was terrible! Bless him.

:'(

Flip

Thanks Flip. 

No wonder why my grandfather's children have complained about him for years.  He seems nice to me.  Poor thing. His

memory is gone.  He's starting to fall for unknown reasons and he drinks 3 oz of brandy/day.  Everyone blames it on his age.  I see it

differently now.  Candy

Hi Suzy,

I applaud your desire to help your Mom.

The decision to come off benzos is a highly individual one and there are no hard and fast rules about who should come off.  What does your Mom want to do?  How long and at what dose is she taking?  How old is she?  Why was she prescribed benzos in the first place?  Are they affecting her negatively so that attempting to withdraw is a reasonable decision?  All these things must be considered.

My Mom is 90 and takes clonazepam .5 "prn" I would guess several times per week and has taken it for over 5 years.  At her age and general health I would NEVER support her getting off them.  It is a VERY difficult process for people of all ages, and I'm not sure those of an advanced age could survive the process.  Quality of life has to be considered. Even Ashton says that older people should not necessarily taper and quit them.

Good luck in whatever decision your Mom makes and I hope you will be openminded and support her either way.

MiniMInnie