Prednisone-what is your experience?

[je...]

I have been prescribed predisone for chest.  I am reluctant to take predisone.  Anyone willing to share experience?

Just curious, does your doctor think that you have asthma? I have taken a couple 5-day courses of prednisone in the past, prior to any withdrawals and I did get the typical side effects of insomnia, overly hot, hyper state, excessive hunger, extremely sensitive sense of smell. This waned quickly though after the 5-day course. I do see your concern though during withdrawals, since the side effects seem excitatory and may just exacerbate the symptoms your already having.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do.

OTM

Here is some information that perseverence posted about steroid medication.

III  Similarities Between the Mechanics of Benzodiazepines and Synthetic Glucocorticoids on the Suppression of the HPA Axis

Synthetic glucocorticoids, such as prednisone and dexamethasone, exert a similar dose- and time- dependent effect on CRH, progressively inhibiting the CRH response in the glucocorticoid feedback system.  The longer the steroid is given, the slower the recovery of the response to CRH.(3)

Therefore, because of this common influence on CRH, the dose and length in benzodiazepine usage may also effect the time for CRH response recovery.

Steroids have been shown to be cross tolerant to benzos in that they can cause a surge in withdrawal effects. That being said, the effect should be temporary and if you need it for your health then following your doctors advice would be prudent.  I did have a steroid injection in my shoulder while still on benzos, I did have a very strong panic type feeling for a while afterwards.

pianogirl

My question to you is, why the steroid, what type of problems are you having in the lungs?  If it is a low dose steroid inhaler for prn use or if you are prescribed a steroid dose pack for an acute situation?  What?

If you have been prescribed steroids you should probably consider taking them.....Common SEs of steroids regardless of bz w/d, are anxiety, elevated blood sugar, hypertension, insomnia and so on.

You will get answers that may not be appropriate for your particular situation unless you are willing to divulge more information other than "I have been prescribed prednisone for chest"  see what I am saying?  Many well meaning people with their varying experiences will share information that may not be appropriate for your specific illness.    Sorry you are sick girl..... 

Sky

I have the flu with chest congestion.  I am wheezing and coughing.  I think this is why the doctor prescriped prednisone.  She also prescriped a Z-pak and an inhaler.  I will not take the inhaler in that it is almost guaranteed to stir me up.  And I am debating on whether my flu is worse than my sxs.  Thanks for input. 

I have the flu with pretty severe chest congestion.  Uncomfortable but not life-threatening.  Doctor said I do not have pneumonia.  So, I am hesitant to gild my old benzo lily with any more medications.  Tomorrow I am 2 months off.

If they think it is viral, then the symptom relieving stuff is appropriate ie:  stuff that will open the airways like an inhaler or steroids for inflammation.  Short term stuff won't create a lot of problems for you. Even tea  (has bronchodilators) or cold humidifiers can help.

Did they do an xray?  The Zpak is usually rx'd for patients suspect of having bronchitis or pneumonia.  Does she know for sure you don't have pneumonia? Did  she confirm you have flu, by doing a nasal swab?  Flu is not common right now.  It sounds like she is covering your symptoms, and doesn't have concrete evidence for flu.  Flu is viral.  Secondary infections can be bacterial.  If you can't breathe then it is in your best interest to use the stuff they prescribed.  You have to be the judge of how bad you feel and how short of breath you are.  This sucks and seems to be a common presentation in bz w/d.  I think Ashton even mentions the predisposition to "flu like" symptoms.

Hugs, Sky

I was prescribed this medication for a tx option for alopecia. Was on it for 3 days and felt so messed up went straight back off it.