Anyone Go Into an Expensive Drug Rehab Program?

I don't know where to post this. Moderators, please move to appropriate category.

I'd like to know if anyone every went into a 28-day drug detox and rehab program, one that was expensive and promoted as being an excellent facility.

I'd like to know what your experience was like, if you did do so.

I would imagine if anyone did and if they had "success", they would not be participating in this forum.

Thank you, in advance.  I am looking forward to your replies.

Oh, yes.  It certainly seems that people are adamantly opposed to detox programs and 28-day rehab programs.  I can understand the concerns about doing a rapid detox.  I don't understand the concerns about one going into a combined detox and rehab program that is  medically supervised (doctors, nurses, etc.) available 24 hours a day.  Your thoughts?

Again, thank you.

Yowl

[0d...]

hey Yowl

I did attend a private clinic to do this and get off the stuff.  However I will point out this facility does do this but it is mainly for people with anxiety/depression no other disorders but in saying that its what I went there for.

I found the whole experience positive I got off fast the first time and went back in later to get off the last little bit.  I found that having a medical team around and the ongoing support was beneficial to me. 

any specific questions you have I will be happy to answer.

Lizzy

I don't know where to post this. Moderators, please move to appropriate category.

I think you're good here, Yowl.  You're looking for information on withdrawal...  :thumbsup:

Challis

Hi,

I have asked many q's about a rehab situation and everything I have heard has not been for me. I wish there was better facilities for people on Benzo's because I feel our problems are different and little is known about anything but other drug use in this type setting. I understand that everyone there smoke and although not inside the whole place smells of old smoke, that would be very hard for me to be around. My head would blow up :pokey:  I also hear form two sources that you are treated as if it is all your fault and you got something from the drug or you wouldn't have stayed on it. Treated as an abuser; which I think is insane. If I started to crave a medicine I would stop it immediately.  We are here from false information I feel. I don't think this would help me however, if I didn't have loved ones and some kind support. That's just me and if you need other help I say go for it. I have been in deep trouble during this and if I had not had the help I needed from my family I am sure I would welcome any help.  Take care and do what is the right thing for you.

Here is to healing!

Annie

Lizzy-  I'm sorry I'm sure it's in your other posts, but I'm sure you won't be too surprised that I'm unable to sort them for this info. Can you please tell me, how long your final 2 mg detox was and if they gave you any meds to manage it?  Whatever you are up for sharing I know it worked well for you and would love to hear the story. Or feel free to just give me a link I don't want to make you repeat it. Thanks!!!!! Perseus

Sierra Tucson in AZ.  I went for a 6 week pain management program.  It was very helpful.  I was exposed to many new therapies to learn pain coping skills.  It was very successful for me.  However....

They do detox for all substances, including benzos.  Their program lasts for 4 weeks, and it is usually required that you go into a residential aftercare program for another 3 months.  They will taper benzos and provide many therapies to help with the physical, psychological and emotional aspects.  The big draw back is that,  it is insanely expensive.  A wonderful program, that only few can afford. 

I have been through two,  10 day and one, 3 day benzo detoxes in the hospital.  All I can say is BRUTAL and would never recommend this.  The 28 day benzo detox program sounds fast to me, unless there is a long aftercare program.

skyy

[0d...]

Perseus

hey there friend.  Yes i dont mind at all Im sure it could be somewhere but in the madness of it all who knows where.  So i went in for ten days to get of the last 2.5 we rapid tapered by .25 each night.  I did try epilum two nights hated it made me hear songs all night so i stopped that its a mood stabiliser used for epilepsy so that stopped I took nothing else at all.  by the way the doctor thought ten days was a joke he always drops people of at 2.5.

hope you are ok

Lizzyxx

Thank you so much for the responses.  What a mixed review.

I would like to know, Lizzy, MORE about what you experienced.  I see that you are completely off of "benzos" but still having some difficulties, correct?

I spoke with one person at the "rehab" place that I am considering.  He assured me that people get completely "detoxed" and go home without withdrawal symptoms.  They do have "extended care", which I will not be able to afford.

I do not believe that all "rehab" facilities are the same.  Perhaps, Annie, some are how you describe.  I don't think anyone can speak about the actual experience of a 28-day program unless they have gone through one.  There are many on this forum who denigrate them and make us afraid to try them.  Yes, if one goes into county programs, conditions can be bad and the clientele a bit rough. 

I hope to hear from more members.  I am not doing so well today; hence, why I am not responding to everyone's reply.

I, again, thank each of you!

Yowl

EDIT:  Skyy, boy would I like to go into a program such as the one you did.  I have severe chronic pain which only serves to increase my anxiety (or, maybe it is the anxiety that causes the pain).

- y -

[0d...]

Yowl

will reply to you know because I am on.

Im completely off benzos its been five weeks.  This was my experience I had a private room and 24 hour medical support.  It was tough but the surroundings and support made it so much easier.  All the clients/patients were great and I formed some really good positive friendships there.  I guess for me is that I went in determined to get off regardless of what it took.  I obviously went through hell this for most people is not a pleasant experience right.  I did meet one girl there who had been on valium for 20 years and she went home after four weeks completely symptom free.

I left about five days after coming off.  Things had definately started to die down then.  The intense fear started to fade etc.  Once home I still felt sick its weird but week by week I just started to get better.  The crying stopped straight after I took my last dose thats when i knew it was going to be a matter of time.  During the day I attended groups not about benzos though this was helpful just connecting with others but you know what got me through I had my laptop and was glued to bb the whole time just posting and getting direction and comfort of those who went before me.  I guess I was prepared to suffer anything to get this stuff out of my system.  I will not sugar coat it for you though it was dreadful.  Ill be honest with you.  I suffered intense fear like scary $hit, I could not eat had to force myself, could not really sit still at all I was like a fly here there and everywhere, had some audial hallucinations, intense muscle pain, very racy thoughts umm you name it I had it very intense for several weeks oh and severe physical anxiety this all subsides it really does.  How much are you prepared to deal with though thats what you need to ask yourself.  Mind you I was extremely sick on the stuff as well.  So getting off was my only hope.  Im sooooo glad I did it.  Im getting my life back. 

Many people do it Yowl it may not be the preferred way for many on this forum and its ok its about respecting whats best for me is not always necessarily best for others so to speak.

let me know if you need any further information.  Oh by the way Im doing fine really the difference is notable every single week I promise you that.  All that remains is this sense of some serious $hit just happened to me kind of feeling which I guess is still fear based as such.

Lizzy

Skyy,

I've been wondering about this too. When you went to the place in Az for 6 weeks did they detox you off the Benzo? And how much were you taking at the time? And which type of benzo?

Skyy,

I've been wondering about this too. When you went to the place in Az for 6 weeks did they detox you off the Benzo? And how much were you taking at the time? And which type of benzo?

No, I was there for the 6 week pain management program.  I CT the benzos twice myself!  What fun!  Don't do that!  They do have a benzo detox program 4 weeks in patient, then 3 months aftercare....

I went into a really nice Drug Rehab/Drug Psychiatric Treatment Facility and spent 30 days there and did 3 weeks after care to get off the remainder of the valium I was on. It was a nice place, and I liked the patients and nurses there. When I went in, I was down to 1.25mg Valium after crossing over from Klonopin on my own and tapering pursuant to Ashton. My anxiety and crying had gotten so out of hand that my husband didn't know what to do with me, and he just drive me out there in desperation.  I liked being there, because I had so much fear at that point and was having so many panic attacks that it was nice to be around nurses 24/7. I felt safe. It was also helpful to be around other people who had suffered or were currently suffering. there was a lot of emotional support and friendships were made. I also like being away from my son who was 6 years old. I didn't want him to see the torture I was going through.

The negatives were as follows: (1) Rehab is for addicts. I was put in the addiction treatment program, because they really had no place for me. There was no group counseling or support for accidental addicts. I had to go to 2 AA meetings per day and engage in group therapy about my addiction. Because I didn't want to be sent home, since I was afraid to be away from nurses, I just pretended I was an addict in my group therapy. I certainly didn't insist that I wasn't an addict, because I was afraid that they would send me home. (2) If you are suffering from bad withdrawal symptoms, they ARE going to give you new medications to limit your pain. You HAVE to take what they prescribe. They watch you take your medicine, and they make you take it. If you get a doctor who doesn't care about your feelings, you can end up further drugged on medicine against your will. Remember, you are being treated like an addict. My doctor wanted to pull me straight off the valium and put me on tranzene, which is another benzo. I begged him to walk me off the rest of the valium and give me remeron instead. I couldn't bear the thought of replacing a benzo with a benzo. Another doctor told me that he would have put me on gabapentin. So, just be aware, that is how they operate. (3) The third negative is $$$$. I had great insurance that covered mental health, and the experience still cost me $10,000.

Hope this information helps! Ask any questions if you need more info.

Best, ask2266 :smitten:

HI

I have to second the previous response.  My sister was at Caron Treatment facility.  They used a 7 day phenobarbital taper for her Xanax addiction.  I thought that was way too fast, but she managed it.  She also had an opiate addiction.  For her the  It took a bit, maybe a few weeks, but she did not suffer beyond that.  She was extremely lucky.  If it ws just xanax and not all her other issues, she probably would have left a little shaky, but ready to face the world.  On a fraction of her dose/time, I was a mess at the same time. She loved being there and the place was beautiful.  The staff was supportive and the therapy was important for her.  THey talked about protracted withdrawal but didnt really focus on that like I thought they should.

It was insanely expensive, but there is money available on a needs basis, so you can always ask.

It is true that benzos are treated like an addiction, like the opiates.  Some poor older woman was given xanax when her husband died and she went there to get off.  After 4 weeks, she was suffering terribly and went home pretty defeated. 

I did ask the medical director and he said the benzos were an addiction.  I think he may be right for some people like my sister who has issues with several categories of drugs (the patients he probably sees the most) but for people like me--and many that DR Ashton treated, once the stuff was out of my body, I never wanted another pill.  Everyone there though had to go to the meetings and deal with the labels.

Shell

I simply cannot thank everyone enough for having taken the time to post to my thread!  I have no words other than THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Your contributions have given me much about which to think.  I have appreciated your giving me the straight facts (i.e., how residents can be treated as though they are an addict).

I am pleased for your sister, Shellmac.

I am so glad that you felt safe at the facility where you were a resident, Ask.  It is so important.  I, most certainly, understand how very scared you were.

Lizzy, what can I say?  You are and were a trooper.  I am so glad that you shared with me, (and others), about your experience.  I am most grateful for your having shared more with me, (and others).  It was a joy for me to read that you are getting your life back.  I thank you so much for taking the time to tell me, (and others), about what you went through.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  I am beginning to believe that going through a "detox" and dealing with the physical pain cannot be much worse than what I am feeling now.  I NEED TO BE OFF OF KLONOPIN AND TRAZODONE ASAP.  These two drugs have become quite toxic for me.  God help me when I, finally, enter into the program I am considering (Watershed).  These folks are being most patient with me.  They stay in touch with me.  They answer all of my questions.  They are willing to help me find a different program.  They seem to be wanting to be of sincere help, not just trying to get my business. 

To each of you who have posted, I THANK YOU!!!!!

If the program were only a few miles away, I'd be there today!  I am in agony and think that I am suffering from "Serotonin Syndrome" from too many years use of Trazodone and at too high of a dose.  The pain I am having today is beyond description.  It is too bad that the program is a three to four hour drive from where I live.  I AM RAMBLING!

That be all for today.

You all are MOST kind.  I know it takes time to write a reply and I thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for your having taken the time to write!

All the best to each and everyone of you.

MOST SINCERELY,

Yowl

Thank you, Lizzy!

I, most certainly, will let you and others know what I will be doing (Rehab), when, and the results.

Yowl