Oxycodone/Propanolol ???

[Ca...]

I am officially on day 19 of my c/t from oxycodone and valium. I am still not sleeping very well and am having anxiety which I never have had before. Sigh. My question is, the past two nights I have had severe pain in my back from my surgery and I have taken one oxycodone IR during the night for the past two nights to help the pain. I tried Tylenol but it wasn't even touching the pain. Am I setting myself back from doing this?

My other question is that I started on Friday evening Propanolol LA to help me with anxiety that this w/d is causing me plus I also have high blood pressure so it isn't like taking this medication will "hurt" me. This morning I realized that if I start taking this medication every day that I will also have to w/d off of it too. Is it best to take the med every few days or should I just leave it alone too? Ugh. This is hard. I will say that I am on day three of not vomiting and have finally gained a pound back. I am wondering if the lowered morning anxiety from the propanolol is the reason for no more vomiting.

Hi Candlelady,

Has either the doctor or pharmacist given you any information about whether Propanolol is addicting or not?  I'm sure Oxycodone probably is since it has codeine in it, but if I were in that kind of pain I'd probably take whatever I could in order to sleep and get relief from the severe pain.

Really, how much misery can you take at once?  If there are things that can get us through withdrawal safely and with less misery, well, bring them on.  I would just make sure I knew any risks involved and weigh the pros and cons.

Challis  :hug:

propanolol is not addicting but IF you use it daily, you should taper off of it over several days to a week, as you can have rebound elevated blood pressure and heart rate  (kind of like afrin rebound)  Google it....  Oxy IR has pain relieving qualities and anxiolytic properties.  Will it set you back?  No, not if you use it very sporadically.  I couldn't use OxyIR prn because it helped with the anxiety...I liked it way too much for that reason.

Sky

I was worried about the Oxy setting me back. I don't think it settles my anxiety at all although I wish it would, LOL. My hip/back area have been hurting and I only have two more Oxy's left so there is no risk for getting "hooked" again since I only have those left.

I have read that coming off the propanalol can cause anxiety and symptoms similar to what is happening to me now plus the danger of high bp and pulse. I can't make up my mind about what I should do. I had a good weekend but today I am jittery, rapidly breathing, sweating and having anxiety. I just don't want to start taking it and it not work then have to taper off and make these symptoms worse then they are. Where is the magic ball to know what to do?

I had a lot of anxiety from waking (which might be 2 a.m. through until late morning, or afternoon, or on rare occasions the evening. I learned to accept it as part of the process, so I reserved my propanolol for my worst moments, usually a pounding heart feeling. If you use it to settle down your BP and pulse throughout your withdrawal, remember that withdrawal will (WILL!) end and your body will no longer need something like propanolol to help it settle down because your GABA receptors will start behaving. But you have to work out for yourself how to cope, and propanolol is not addictive per se but there is a right and wrong way to get off any drug.

Re: Oxycodone. I don't think it has codeine in it. It is a strong narcotic and I know from experience (six months' experience) it does a nice job on pain. I was advised not to get off the oxy until I'd gotten of benzos. I was taking half an oxy twice a day and tapered off when I thought my benzo w/d was lifting, although that may have been premature. Que sera, sera!

I actually went to a drug counselor for advice on getting off the drugs although I never had psychological addiction. She was the one who advised me to get off one drug at a time. Maybe your prescribing physician can be of help forming a plan so that your pain is addressed while meeting your goals for getting off benzos.

Candlelady I was also told that Propanolol is NOT addictive.  Did you find it helped you with your sleep at all?

:)

I don't find it helps with my sleep at all. I am going to start taking it on as needed basis. Last night I took Nyquil and a tylenol to go to bed and slept for FIVE HOURS which is the most I have slept since this all began almost three weeks ago.

I was worried about the Oxy setting me back. I don't think it settles my anxiety at all although I wish it would, LOL. My hip/back area have been hurting and I only have two more Oxy's left so there is no risk for getting "hooked" again since I only have those left.

I have read that coming off the propanalol can cause anxiety and symptoms similar to what is happening to me now plus the danger of high bp and pulse. I can't make up my mind about what I should do. I had a good weekend but today I am jittery, rapidly breathing, sweating and having anxiety. I just don't want to start taking it and it not work then have to taper off and make these symptoms worse then they are. Where is the magic ball to know what to do?

hello.ihad surgery/fusion on c6-7 and L-4 levels may 2011.i had just stopped clonazapam i mth prior.was very worriod about getting hooked on oxycodone so

cut down as much as possible.i got off at 1/2 5mg.had really bad anxiety and symptoms.got put back on lorazapam because of it then switched to clonazapam to taper off.want want to say is this when you reduce oxycodone you get fantom pain

its the drug trying to get you to take more.it also efected my bp.had to spend 24hrs in hospital.everything checked out.your in tuff spot.but not unlike where i was.

i stopped oxycodone after a while no pain.then i stopped benzo.i have some bp

waving and symptoms but rechecked.you have to be careful for all the meds your taking effect bp and pulse.you should not need beta blocker,benzo and oxycodone

you are intoxicating yourself and giving your heart alot of stress.when you stop oxycodone you will have pain for a while.one suggestion was tramadol which is less potent and less addictive.and then the beta blocker.i am not an md but hate to see someone suffering.but you need to rid yourself of these drugs.get a good md and form a plan and know there will be a time of pain and suffering but better for your health in the long run.i suffer ev eryday but after a while pain in spine is gone.i am dealing with benzo wd now and waiting for relief as i get muscle tension weakness which makes

neck and back bones work more.and varaiting bp.good luck but do something.

make doc aware all these drugs effect your bp and pulse.

deal with tylenol or something else and know you will have some issues in oxy withdraw

benzo will help with anxiety.then quit it.get pro help.i wish you well

I am off the valium and have been for 20 days now and had been off the oxycodone up until two days ago when my back pain became unbearable. I have been increasing my physical therapy and it is causing me more pain and it was to the point that I couldn't sit/lay down without terrible pain. I have two oxy's in three days and don't plan on going on them full time again. I will just take them as needed.

I didn't take the beta blocker yesterday and am feeling okay today. I feel like i have to pick and choose what is worse, the anxiety from w/d or the pain in my back.

How long did your pain last from your fusion? It is a tough surgery to bounce back from and I find I have good days and bad days with my pain.

Candlelady, I see you are making progress. So glad you got some good sleep! Whoot! Whoot!

Just read the Nyquil label and calculate your total acetominophen dose when combining with tylenol. The max dose of acetominophen per 24 hours is 4,000 mg. The current recommended maximum single dose is 650 mg. See more at http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/pain/articles/2009/06/30/fda-advisers-urge-smaller-doses-of-acetaminophen

Slowly but surely making some progress :)

I try to stay around 2,000mg of Tylenol a day. After all this nonsense coming off meds, I am struggling to even put Tylenol in my mouth right now. I take it in the morning and at bed plus Zanaflex as needed since I found out yesterday the pain I am having is all muscular  pain from my fusion.