Benadryl and Beer

[fr...]

I c/t'd off 1-2mg Xanax 9 days ago.  Been using benadryal and beer to settle down and get some sleep.

I understand that the alcohol binds to the same receptors as did the benzo . . . and thus will prolong my withdrawal or exacerbate the symptoms.  Is my understanding correct?

Also, is there a downside to using the benadryl to make me groggy?  I also take it with some melatonin.  Is it okay to do this for the time being?

I really really do not want to ever take xanax again.  But I'm crawling out of my skin here.  I don't know how to get any relief.  Its nuts!  I'm totally non-functional.  So frustrating!!!!!

Thanks!

FTS

Hi FTS,

Benzodiazepines and beer don't go well together, you're right about the same GABA receptors being affected by both.  Alcohol makes the symptoms worse.

Some of our members here do take Benadryl.  If you type Benadryl in the search box at the upper right hand side of the page, you'll be able to read some posts about it.  Same for melatonin.

Taking more Xanax now may not help at all.  Once we're off these drugs for awhile, they often don't have the same effect if we take them again. 

This is sort of a waiting game with benzo withdrawal.  Time is the only real relief with this.  We just do what we can to calm our systems down while we heal.  Your healing has already begun even if it doesn't seem like it.

I hope things do begin to settle down for you soon, FTS.

Challis

I c/t'd off 1-2mg Xanax 9 days ago.  Been using benadryal and beer to settle down and get some sleep.

I understand that the alcohol binds to the same receptors as did the benzo . . . and thus will prolong my withdrawal or exacerbate the symptoms.  Is my understanding correct?

Also, is there a downside to using the benadryl to make me groggy?  I also take it with some melatonin.  Is it okay to do this for the time being?

I really really do not want to ever take xanax again.  But I'm crawling out of my skin here.  I don't know how to get any relief.  Its nuts!  I'm totally non-functional.  So frustrating!!!!!

Thanks!

FTS

The combination of Benadryl and beer probably isn't good.

Alhough I have never taken Benadryl (have taken promethazine) it's a 'rough' drug.

Depending on the time you take it, there is likely an interaction.

Usually drinking alcohol after having withdrawn from benzodiazepines heightens withdrawal symptoms.

Any chance that is happening to you ? Perhaps you are not aware of this ?

Alcohol could provide temporary relief, only to cause symptoms after it wears off.

If you need to take something GABAergic, perhaps a mild herb ? Just be careful with valerian.

Hops maybe ? As in capsules, not beer :)

Perhaps a different sedating antihistamine (promethazine, Vistaril) will work better.

Although I certainly wouldn't take the promethazine with beer !

Any chance your doc can help ?

Alcohol DOES NOT bind to EXACTLY the same receptors as the benzo. But there is cross tolerance.

EDIT: if you take it for sleep only, then it's a bit different. I'm not sure if I read your post correctly.

Try to avoid doing this during the day. If you need it for sleep, I understand. Just don't keep doing it for too long.

I'm taking the benadryl for sleep only.  It knocks me out -- at least until about 3:30 - 4:00 in the morning.  It actually works better than Ambien in getting a longer sleep.

I agree that I have to knock of the beer.  Today is the last day on which I will allow myself that temporary comfort.  Then its stone cold sobriety for sure.

I really have to get back to work.  Pressure is mounting . . . but I just don't feel capable of doing anything other than hiding on the couch and watching movies.  Even typing this post is overwhelming.

Thanks for your advice . . . I'm going to knock out the beer, but keep the benadryl for sleep for now.

Best,

FTS

I take benadryl for sleep every night. It is allergy season so I have been taking 4 pills all spring.  As for alcohol I had a few margaritas a few weekends ago and it did send me into a bad case of the benzo almost instantly.  I felt completely hung over about 30 mins after my 2nd margarita and then the whole next day was a benzo flashback. Not sure when it is safe to drink after benzo withdrawal... Anyone???

doc i am interested in this alcohol question.  Having a beer has always been part of my social life.  Looking back now I can see that as my partial benzo w/d symptoms increased....I answered the pain with more and more booze. Once I jumped from the benzos the need for alcohol vanished....still I would like to think one day I might have a glass of wine with hubby..

very very best wishes fromthe shadows

hope you have a good day and a good night :thumbsup:

cottage girl

CG--

"Alcohol DOES NOT bind to EXACTLY the same receptors as the benzo. But there is cross tolerance."

I think it means that they are chemically closely related enough to one another that if you are tolerating one, you will come to tolerate the other as well.

Liberty, is that right?

emkbb

liberty could you tell me what cross tolerance means please....or anyone?

cottage girl

Cross tolerance means that two drugs are sufficiently similar (usually because of the way they work, the receptors they affect), that if you take one drug you will develop tolerance to the drug in question but also (to some degree) to the other drug.

thanks liberty....that was me for sure....more and more wine....as I fell further and further

cottage girl

Thanks!

FTS

I used benadryl for about 3 weeks post clonazepam w/d for sleep and it worked marvelously. It has about a zero percent chance of doing any harm to your body or brain if you are taking a regular dose at bedtime and it sounds like you are already cutting the beer out which would have the chance to  cause breathing problems along with the benadryl.  It took me a good 14 days to stop crawling out of my skin...hang in there and it will calm down. I am now about 6 weeks out and calmed down and not needing the benadryl.