Propanalol LA

[Ca...]

After having a very miserable week and being in the ER last night due to my heart racing and high bp plus having vomiting/diarhea for two weeks after stopping oxycodone and valium. My cardiologist called today and he thinks the rebound anxiety is causing my heart issues and recommended Propanalol LA.

What are everyone's experience with this medication? Did it help your anxiety? I know a few told me they use it in another thread and had good results. The anxiety I think is causing me to vomit and not sleep.

Hi Candlelady,

If it were me and my cardiologist recommended something for my heart issues, I'd most definitely take his advice. 

I'd Google Propanalol to read about its benefits, indications and possible side effects and then, if you're still concerned about taking the Propanalol, I'd call the cardiologist's office and ask for a more in-depth explanation of his recommendation.

Hope the anxiety and vomiting settle down for you soon, Candlelady,

Challis  :therethere:

Thanks Challis. I am hoping this does help calm my entire system down a little bit and give my heart a break. I am going to go ahead with this medication. I have used it before due to my high blood pressure and arrythmia issues but never realized they use it for anxiety too until I came here to the forum. Just curious how many people use it and how it works for them.

;D

Propanolol is a beta blocker and is used primarily for arrhythmia and hypertension.  It does block some of the hormones that are produced by the sympathetic nervous system that cause irritability in the cardiac conduction system=palpitations.  It can help in the feelings of "adrenalin surges" felt in withdrawal.  It is really not used for anxiety, per se.  I have taken it for years for symptomatic v-tach. (ventricular arrhythmia).  It can cause low heart rate and fatigue and is generally not used in people who have unstable asthma.  Google it for yourself and ask the pharmacist.

BTW, the Ambien usually is affective for about 4 hours.  For many people it does not last longer than that.

You sound much better today, I am so glad!

Sky

Propanolol is a good drug for benzo w/d.

It slows heart rate and lowers blood pressure by blocking beta receptors in the body (the receptors that relate to the body's flight/fight system).

just a heads up that my WD from inderal was worse then my WD from benzos. I heard that from others as well. I had to take inderal during my taper because my HR and BP was high. once I was one year past benzos, I tapered off 10 mg inderal. all  hell broke lose and I was back to square one but worse. I don't regret taking inderal because of my promise to do what needed to get off benzos with out a heart attack or stroke. but just beware that everything has a price.