Zithromax for Bronchtis

[Up...]

Hi all, I'm taking Zithromax for bronchitis, I just started the pack today. Never have had bronchitis before and I'm scared. Also have to take Mucinex and cough suryup with Codine at night. Any thoughts as if this will effect my w/d?

Hi Upanova01,

If you type Zithromax in the search box in the upper right corner, you'll find a bunch of posts about it.

Good luck!

Challis  :smitten:

I had bronchitis a few years ago while on Klonopin.  I had not yet started my K taper, but I was put on Prednisone for 5 days and it totally cleared up the bronchitis.  Haven't had bronchitis since.

At any rate, best wishes to you ...

Sincerely,

fg

Zithromax cleared up my walking pneumonia while I was in withdrawal from Xanax.  It made me feel good while I was on it, but after it cleared my system I had a really bad wave of sx, felt like I had the flu.  I'm still glad I took it though, the pneumonia was bad.

I have lung damage, so I get bronchitis and pneumonia all of the time. I have had bronchitis and pneumonia many times both during tapering and post-tapering. I am always prescribed Azithromycin (Zithromax; Z-pack), and I have never had a problem.

Good Luck!

ask2266 :smitten:

I heard recently on the news that the Z-pack can cause cardiovascular issues.  I don't know if they just recently discovered that or not.

Sincerely,

fg

Yes. It can cause irregular heartbeat. What they are saying now is that if you have risks for heart disease due to obesity or age or family history, you should use a different antibiotic.

Everyone else is okay to use it, as long as they only use it for REAL infections, as opposed to viruses like the cold. Right now, people are overusing Z-packs when they are not necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I am just getting over bronchitis . This is the 3rd week. I finally was put on a Z pak and also an inhaler. It was really bad. I did take Levaquin by accident and yes it affected me in a negative way. I then took the zpak after that and things are better. so hope you all are well .

Honey M

There must be an epidemic of bronchitis going on. I am having it now together with my whole family.  It got me so bad with halucinations and insomnia that I finally ended up taking 1.5 mg Ativan for mania/insomnia once ,to finally fall asleep after 3 days of no sleepa.  I am taking Zitromax. I am so scared of what is going to happen to me because of the benzo taken.  I have been off for a whole 3 years.  I did read about the arrhythmia issues with Zithromax. I had bad arrhytmia when I contracted this bug.

• 1 month later...
i got prescribed Zithromax also, so noone has had any negative effects?? its safe to take? Just want to make sure before i take it. Im 6 months out btw. :)

I just got prescribed a Z-pack as well. Have never had it before and am scared to death to take it, but my doctor says I need it because I have had a bacterial infection (Laryngitis) with a high fever for almost a month now and it did not respond to Amoxicillin or any of the Cephalosporins - he said those drugs are better used for "congestion junk " bacterial infections but the type of bacteria I have won't respond to those. He said my bacteria is an "atypical" one and I need to start the Zpack ASAP.

But incredibly scared, please assure me I will be okay.

Well thanks for nothing ya'll

Last night was my last dose of Z-pak and I did fine on it--which is good news 'cause I'm very sensitive to drugs that can cause nervousness. I guess it will be in my system for another 5 days so will make another update on that, but so far it's been fine. Unfortunately, didn't really clear up my infection as good as I'd hoped it would, but upper respiratory infections can be pretty stubborn.

Sorry magnoliie

I didnt end up taking the Z pack, coincidentally my allergy stuff started getting better the following days. Maybe the scare of taking an antibiotic is all i needed :laugh: . well its still there nonetheless but it sure is a lot better. Goodluck

So wait, your doctor prescribed you a z-pak for allergies??!?!?! That is a bit much!!!

The reason why we keep needing stronger and more dangerous antibiotics as the years go by is because doctors keep prescribing antibiotics for stuff that isn't even infection......sad

Im finally over the bronchitis .... over 2 months to shake iyt. I do have a residual irritation in my throat from all of that. But it is slowly getting better. No more inhalers.

I got bronchitis during my taper from Alprozolam and was prescribed Zithromax and an albuterol inhaler. The Zithromax wiped out the infection and I haven't had one since.

Shekinah

Yeah z-pak is very effective. I had almost no side effects at all from z-pak. It's been several days since my last dose and I'm fine.

I had a really bad reaction, unlike the others who posted here.  Wish I was that lucky.  As a matter of fact I just started my own thread on this subject because my reaction has been so severe- here is the link:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=61662.0

I also have a pretty nasty rash on top of the oscillopsia (oscillating vision) and vertigo from it.

Hi Perseverance,

I intend to respond to your thread in just a moment. But I wanted to say here that I have only rarely heard of Z-pak being effective for ear infections; usually the cillins are best for that, but check with your doctor. Also, it seems to me that people in general, regardless of being in benzo withdrawal, either respond well to Z-pak or respond horrible to it. There is not a lot of gray area in between. Also worth mentioning is that your side effects are not the typical ones for z-pak, I will elaborate on this as a response to your thread that you have linked here.

magnolie,

This was precisely one of my points- after expressing concern over the ototoxic effects of the macrolides (I replied to your view regarding these on my thread) I am dismayed that the practitioner did not offer a cillin as an alternative.

Normally I arrive at my doctor appointments better versed in the area to be discussed, however since my Mom's dx of cancer my head has not been on quite straight.

My reaction to the Z pack however forced me to delve further into this area.  My findings were the same as yours regarding the cillins- which prompted me to request Amoxicilin from my doctor, to which he agreed.

While initially I saw the nurse practitioner, after the adverse reaction I spoke with the Doctor, who was aware of these types of reactions in conjunction with macrolide usage.

I posted some articles on my thread which discuss macrolide ototoxicity for your review.  We are all different and these adverse reactions are rare.  However the predicament encountered through benzodiazepines effect on the cerebellum, ocular and auditory mechanisms may have contributed to the susceptibility.  Difficult to say for sure but suspicious none the less.