Any pre-benzo chronic anxiety sufferers now completely med free?? If so, how?

[Sk...]

With me there is a very big genetic component (massive GAD and panic on both sides of the family) and I'm not sure how I'm going to make it without any meds, after 15 years of one kind of med or another. But I'm going to do it.

How are you getting along with extreme anxiety and no meds? :o

Thanks in advance!

Everyone is different.  (A phrase you will probably see often here).  However, I have discovered that the Klonopin was causing both depression and anxiety in me (at least when I tried to taper).  As a result, I had to go back on Paxil (30 mg.) and am still on it.  I do plan on coming off of it after getting off of Klonopin.  It is usually recommended that one taper benzos before antidepressants, by the way.

Of course, your doctor can check you and see if you really need a medication.  However, if you are early out from benzo w/d, then you are prone to common side effects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine_withdrawal

At any rate, I hope this helps.  Also, perhaps some other BB members can jump in here and give you some advice.

Wishing you well ...

Sincerely,

fg

I aslo have GAD.

Before benzoz I did find ways to manage. But I´ve been on cipralex and effexor for a while, and I think that helps a little, It shure did before the w/d.

This w/d im in now is horrible, but im quite shure it is the w/d and not my GAD, tough my GAD maybe makes me more sensetive for this anxiety.

The harsh reality of benzos is that you just cant be on them for ever, not like antidepressants. A/d´s and CBT did do alot for me.

Are you in contact with a psychiatrist? if so you should be able to get some CBT, and if your not on a/d´s maybe you should look in to that?

Thanks, guys. The problem is that after 15 years of on/off use of SSRI and SNRI's, my brian/body is now rejecting them. I can't tolerate even the lowest doses anymore. My pDoc says "this happens".

So I really don't have a plan once I'm off the Tranxene, beyond exercise and a good diet.

Skatty, I am the same way.  I worry what is going to happen.  What is your body doing to reject the ssris? My body is rejecting then too or is at least developing sensitivities.  What has your pdoc suggested? 

Basically an intensely agitated feeling even at tiny doses and terrible vivid dreams. He says its largely because AD's latch onto the same receptors as LSD and that after so long, the body just says enough is enough. So he has given me a beta blocker and wants to see if I can manage with that long term on an as-needed basis. I don't have high hopes about it. Also, he wants to consider trying Trileptal which is an anti seizure and bipolar bed that has some anxiolytic properties. Again, we'll see. For now, I'm trying to not take anything as I taper off the Tranxene.

So I really don't have a plan once I'm off the Tranxene, beyond exercise and a good diet.

This is a good place to start, Skatty...trite I know, but it does help a lot!

Challis  :highfive:

My biggest struggle with all of this is my stomach. I wake up every morning with a sense of intense bowel urgency. It doesn't go away after I have a bowel movement. Sometimes its worse actually. Its like IBS but without C or D, just intense discomfort. A "functional bowel disorder". I believe it was caused by the Lexapro I used to take. It makes it very difficult to focus on my job, being a good husband/dad etc...

And what do they want to prescribe for this?? low dose AD's and Benzos.

So, I suffer.

sigh.

In fact, I would take panic attacks and the other fun stuff over this chronic urgency/cramping. It's like a form of torture.

Hi Skatty,

If you want to add a signature (history of use and taper) that shows under every post automatically so you don't have to keep typing it in your posts, click Profile, choose Forum Profile from the drop down menu, look for Signature, type in the text box and save changes by clicking Change Profile.

This helps other members know where you are in history/dosage and they can better respond.

Challis

I too would like to know how people got help with anxiety disorders post-benzos. What do you do when benzos were the last thing you've tried? CBT, every AD med available, councilors, psychologists, nutrition, exercise, even working with the public to get over my fears did nothing. Putting myself in social situations made me literally sick to my stomach. To me, it's almost like having a broken leg, but being told to "walk it off". Mentally, it hurts too much.

You clearly have a strong genetic predisposition like me. Had I explored everything you have thoroughly, I'd be asking the pDoc for something off the beaten path like Trileptal (gotta be patient with that one though) or some weird old tetracyclic AD or something. You need relief.

Challis: I have a signature now! Thank you.  :thumbsup:

Never heard of Trileptal but will ask my psych to recommend it. Also looked up tetracyclic AD meds and found nothing. If you meant tricyclic meds like Nardil or Parnate, been there, done that. Not any help but got me fat ::). My psych also didn't like the fact that I couldn't be on another SSRI or SNRI. And I didn't especially care for the restricted diet.

Yeah, anxiety disorders run in my family like cancer does in others. Everyone drinks but me.

Thank you for the link. :yippee: Will bring that up at next meeting. As for Inderal, I tried that. Worked O.K. but I get better results on Clonidine. Only stops the blushing though and makes my hands and feet freezing.

:-\ Remeron. Didn't know that was a tetracyclic but was put on that years ago. Seems the AD meds just don't do it for my anxiety. Maybe an old-fashioned lobotomy :idiot:

i was on tripleptal for a long time for anxiety and now i'm off everything.  2 weeks free of benzos. my next step would be CBT, and meditation.  have you tried meditation? when i can, that is the single thing that has calmed me down the most.  15 min 2x/day was like "god in a pill"! 

Hello

I am having a CBT right now. My therapist is anti medicament orientated. She said the meds give quick relief but they don't cure the problem. I am having very difficult time with agoraphobia/anxiety. The therapist think that this anxiety is 'mine anxiety' but much stronger due to discontinuation of meds. So basically she said that I am in control of my anxiety just have to learn ways to deal with it, to learn new skills and change the way I think. To learn to have automatic rational thoughts in some stress situation instead of my negative irrational thoughts and believes I develop during past years. Meds just masked the problem and I didn't learn to cope with stress and anxiety. I remember when I felt good on meds in the beginning that I always had some anxiety thoughts and 'What ifs' but no physical symptoms (meds prevent that). My anxiety was all the time with me.

Take care

Marry

I had crazy anxiety before benzo brought on by a lot of life changing events.  It was the kind where I could not go out without being comfortable.  I hated that feeling.  I am trying SSRIs right now, but they are not really cutting it.  I am 8 months off.

Hello

I am having a CBT right now. My therapist is anti medicament orientated. She said the meds give quick relief but they don't cure the problem. I am having very difficult time with agoraphobia/anxiety. The therapist think that this anxiety is 'mine anxiety' but much stronger due to discontinuation of meds. So basically she said that I am in control of my anxiety just have to learn ways to deal with it, to learn new skills and change the way I think. To learn to have automatic rational thoughts in some stress situation instead of my negative irrational thoughts and believes I develop during past years. Meds just masked the problem and I didn't learn to cope with stress and anxiety. I remember when I felt good on meds in the beginning that I always had some anxiety thoughts and 'What ifs' but no physical symptoms (meds prevent that). My anxiety was all the time with me.

Take care

Marry

me too. I consider all those years on medications a colossal waste of time. 

I did not learn any coping skills.........not entirely bc of lack of effort.  I think my emotions have been suppressed and therefore I was, on a deep level, *unable* to heal.  that's my story and i'm stickin to it!

2.5 years off valium and anxiety does not appear to be going away any time soon, although it is better than before benzos because I have taken the time to learn some coping skills and ways to "manage" (not get rid of) it.  Mindfulness and acceptance have helped.  I like ACT therapy and mindfulness approaches.

Best wishes,

Vertigo

I'm sure I have a physically related panic disorder. I'm not off benzos yet, so I can't say what the outcome will be, to be honest. I have severe panic disorder though and have been struggling with it since the 1980's. The panic disorder started with a physical disorder for me. Anxiety problems in general also seem to run strongly in my family.

• 2 weeks later...

Skatty

Hello I want to firstly address the bowel issue, I had the same thing happen to me and when I started doing 25grams of fiber a day it cleared up. I hope that works for you if you try it. Secondly I was diagnosed in 1998 with GAD at a sleep clinic and put on klonopin, now I know that has caused things to get so much worse. I am off of them now thankfully but going through the nasty w/d. I went off of these in hopes to cure the anxiety. I have a therapist and with her help and alot of research books etc I too like alot of these great people will tell you its all about using every different tool out there until you find one that works. I am still in that stage of trying and learning. The downside to that is right now going through this w/d it is so much harder. I truly beileve that once this ugliness has past that these tools will work. I know this is brutal believe me I am right there with you! We just have to get through this and with all of us helping each other I know we will. I am so glad that I found this group it has been a life saver for me. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. :)

Thanks, guys. The problem is that after 15 years of on/off use of SSRI and SNRI's, my brian/body is now rejecting them. I can't tolerate even the lowest doses anymore. My pDoc says "this happens".

I bought some L Theanine from a health store. They look like tums and they work great for anxiety. calm ya right down. I am planning on really looking into alternative treatments. They do help.

Hi,

Hi,

I suffered from anxiety and panic-attacks since I was a child.  Nothing worked.  The meds worked for a while but they always resurfaced.  The only thing that worked was running and CBT and Mental Hygiene excercises. A therapist started me and when I could not afford  him anymore- I loaded up on a bunch of books on the subject and started practicing.  Nothing happened at first.  That's the thing.  People expect it to work overnight.  It's like learning a new language or learning math.  In the beginning its extremely hard almost seemingly impossible.  But I kept at it.  I have noticed changes but it took a long time.  Now I know why some therapist get paid a lot of money.  If you can learn how to teach effective behavior altering methods you have hit the jack pot because very few people have the patience or intelligence to teach it.  I know you probably don't want to hear that right now especially if you are going through withdrawal.  It's like being depressed and someone telling you to just, "pull yourself up by the bootstraps-Cheer up!" and you want to flip them the bird and say, "pull this!" :laugh:  But it does work. it's just- well-extremely difficult.