Calling it as I see it - Brain Damage

[ma...]

Damage to the CNS. That's what it is. Nerve damage. The CNS is part of our brain. A big part of it.

Does it matter if it's temporary? YES. It does. That means it can heal. But does that make it any less of what it is? No.

If the medication is no longer in the body and the body remains sick, why does the body remain sick? Because it's damaged. Professionals may call it "down regulation," the benzodiazepine "changes" the receptor site.

It changes the receptor sites so that the receptor sites no longer work properly for a temporary but immeasurable amount of time. Uh, if it's changed to the point of not working right, isn't it damage, then?

First, let me explain how a benzodiazepine works in lay terms :

A benzodiazepine is like a wrench, and the GABA-a receptor site is like a bolt. Whenever the wrench (benzo) tightens the bolt (enhances the GABA-a receptor), it makes it work better. That is until the wrench strips the bolt to where the bolt is changed and does not work properly anymore (tolerance) and without a stronger wrench (more benzos).

No matter which way you look at it, no matter if it takes 2 months to recover or 2 years, temporary or not, it is what it is. It's damage.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [In...]

• [mp...]

• [ma...]

• [Ca...]

Magnollie,

Yes, like a paper cut is 'skin damage', a broken bone is 'bone damage', a sprained ankle is 'muscle damage' and so on...the GABA receptors and CNS are damaged with benzodiazepine use.

And it all heals.  Some of us heal faster, some heal slower.  But we heal.

Thank goodness for that, right?!

Challis  :mybuddy:

Magnolie

Of course it's brain damage.

Many people have the perception that brain damage means permanent. I have definitely been scoffed at by uninformed people when i have used the words " brain damaged"

I've been using it anyways to try to help them undestand why it is taking me so long to heal.

Tks for posting.

Carol

[87...]

yes yes and yes of course its brain damage what else can it be but it is not structural brain damage like in forever it does get better.  I can feel it.  I have been saying I have brain damage since day one of this stuff and noone can tell me otherwise.  I know if I had a broken leg it would feel broken and my brain feels broken admittedly it feels like its recovering which it is. Try telling your theory to the doctor he/she wont buy it.  My doctor even wrote me a letter saying 100 percent sure he guarentees i dont have brain damage.

I also know that when I have the flu and am totally wrecked it takes time to recover and this will to.

Lizzy

Well, I think the two parts to this being a stigmatic thing is

1. it's damage that is not easily seen with the naked eye, like with someone who lost a portion of their brain which would be seen obviously, but it is damage on the microscopic level. That doesn't mean it's not there.  and

2. the negative stigma associated with the words "brain damage."

Yes, of course it is a good thing that we heal. We recover. This doesn't have to be something negative. Would you call someone undergoing chemotherapy who was depressed because they can't hold food down due to the chemo a "negative Nancy?" No, of course not! Well, I think the same due respect should also go for someone who cannot keep down food due to benzo withdrawal either. I think it would be healthy if we did not turn a blind eye to what this truly is..... accept and acknowledge for it is, and then move past it, and rise above it. together. :)

[87...]

Magnollie

I fully agree I feel better saying I have that at least people get that.  Try explaining to your friends and family about down regulation of your gaba receptors they are like huh.  It is what it is temporary brain damage and im going to try using it.  I think there is less stigma personally than saying im coming off benzos and im in withdrawal people think when you say that your like oh so you are craving the drug AH NO thats not what im saying.  Anyway Magnollie its our theory lets stick to it.

how r u going anyway with your recovery.

Lizzy

I think you're right about the stigma attached to 'brain damage'...everyone thinks forever...

Challis

[87...]

Challis

thats true i forgot about that part possibly saying temporary before this may be good.  Hey you know when I was in hospital thats what I told people when they asked what was wrong with me i said im Lizzy i have brain damage funny how i said that.  Im pretty switched on and it sure felt like that.

Lizzy

Magnollie..

Hello. Wow that's a Statement! I agree with your Insight its very informative and to the point.

However using in the term "Damaged" may not be accurate.

Damage means just that Damaged. No Restoring. Never going to be fixed. Irreversible.

That's not the case with this withdraw. This is reversable.

I think Brain Injury is more suited. That's exactly what I told my friends my family, I believe its a Injury due to meds. I think your prospective is very good. I liked it . I just don't think Damage is the right word. That would be scary to think that our brain is damaged.

I have Sciatic Nerve Damage.Its never going to be OK. I suffer and that's not going to change or be reversed.Due to the Damage. Thanks God this Restores and gets better.

~Jenny

[87...]

yeah Jenny

that is better i like that more brain injury which means can be repaired which is obvious in our healing.

Lizzyxxx

yeah Jenny

that is better i like that more brain injury which means can be repaired which is obvious in our healing.

Lizzyxxx

Lizzy!

Im on my way to my thread to say hello to you. Yea I just think we cant throw around the word

Damage loosely, Damage means Permanent.And I know this withdrawl is not.

I know so many struggle with that and worrying if thats going to happen to them.But It does Reverse,It does Repair,This Restores back to a Healthy baseline. I do like the insight and I agree 100% on everything that was said it was really good.

Just saying its Damaged is just not true. We get better and our Brain works this out.Yay

~Jenny

Damage means just that Damaged. No Restoring. Never going to be fixed. Irreversible.

Fortunately that is not true. Damage can be reversible. If I damaged my car in an accident I could have it repaired. Another word for damage is injury, so calling it a "brain injury" would be as accurate as calling it "brain damage." Brain damage and Brain Injury are the same thing.

However, I think using the term "injury" definitely softens up the seriousness of the problem. Like calling it "down regulation", I feel that it sugar coats what it really is, and I don't think we should be so afraid of what it really is, especially since it's temporary.

The official definition of the word damage:

dam·age   [dam-ij]  Show IPA noun, verb, dam·aged, dam·ag·ing.

noun

injury or harm that reduces value or usefulness: The storm did considerable damage to the crops.

damages, Law . the estimated money equivalent for detriment or injury sustained.

Often, damages. Informal . cost; expense; charge: What are the damages for the lubrication job on my car?

Yeah, I just googled damage. One of the synonyms was injury. Splitting hairs here maybe.

To me, damage does sound more permanent, but injury is a synonym.

Intend

Fortunately that is not true. Damage can be reversible. If I damaged my car in an accident I could have it repaired. Another word for damage is injury, so calling it a "brain injury" would be as accurate as calling it "brain damage." Brain damage and Brain Injury are the same thing.

However, I think using the term "injury" definitely softens up the seriousness of the problem. Like calling it "down regulation", I feel that it sugar coats what it really is, and I don't think we should be so afraid of what it really is, especially since it's temporary.

The official definition of the word damage:

dam·age   [dam-ij]  Show IPA noun, verb, dam·aged, dam·ag·ing.

noun

injury or harm that reduces value or usefulness: The storm did considerable damage to the crops.

damages, Law . the estimated money equivalent for detriment or injury sustained.

Often, damages. Informal . cost; expense; charge: What are the damages for the lubrication job on my car?

Good point Magnollie!!! Your right about Damage being able to be fixed.Means assistance is required.

Unfortunately as per brain we can not have man "Humans" Restore to its functioning state.

Sure certain things can be Repaired from Damage. Meaning when theres damage that's a statement where Fixing is required. Us humans are Brilliant.We can restore almost anything. From Iron lungs to Economy when Damaged.

But that just means something needs to be Tended to.

Damage is Damage. Unfortunately our brain can not be fixed by Human accord.

But it Heals all on its own. That's Injury. Restoration by its own device.

I could be wrong but my sick common sense tells me otherwise ! LOL

~Jenny

We're arguing semantics here. In medical terms, brain damage is a specific thing with a specific medical meaning, which is cell death or permanent dysfunction. Downregulation just isn't brain damage in that sense, it's a normal part of healthy cell function.

When we're coming off this crap, we feel damaged, and that's normal, and natural (and shitty). It's a different kind of damage, though. By it's nature, brain damage will not heal. Receptor changes which slowly reverse are something different. That doesn't make this any less horrible to go through, it just means that it's got an end in sight. Someone who has actual brain damage doesn't have the luxury of knowing that they will eventually recover from it.

We're arguing semantics here. In medical terms, brain damage is a specific thing with a specific medical meaning, which is cell death or permanent dysfunction. Downregulation just isn't brain damage in that sense, it's a normal part of healthy cell function.

When we're coming off this crap, we feel damaged, and that's normal, and natural (and shitty). It's a different kind of damage, though. By it's nature, brain damage will not heal. Receptor changes which slowly reverse are something different. That doesn't make this any less horrible to go through, it just means that it's got an end in sight. Someone who has actual brain damage doesn't have the luxury of knowing that they will eventually recover from it.

Precisely! Very well Put.

When we're coming off this crap, we feel damaged, and that's normal, and natural. It's a different kind of damage, though. By it's nature, brain damage will not heal. Receptor changes which slowly reverse are something different. That doesn't make this any less horrible to go through, it just means that it's got an end in sight. Someone who has actual brain damage doesn't have the luxury of knowing that they will eventually recover from it.

Well said Spengler.

I believe we can think of our status any way we are comfortable to. However, when trying to communicate to "outsiders" what is happening, I think perception will always win over pure definition.

So, if we care about always being "right", I suppose either damage or injury would be correct. If we don't want to encourage misunderstandings or longer than need be explanation, for me, I will stick with injury.

We are all brave soldiers of our own life stories.

M.  :)

I frankly had never ever considered telling anyone that I had experienced any "damage or injury" to my brain. and I have discussed this with some people.

The terminology I have used (cause its what has occurred to me) is that Ive been "affected by" and my "thought processes and moods and perceptions" have been somewhat "temporarily altered by" these meds.

But I think that comes from the fact that Ive never really been "educated" on the effects of this stuff until this last fall. Never completely realized that my entire brain is really in a prescription bottle and not in my skull.

Intend

It is quite thought provoking!

I think there would have to be some clarifications made between brain damage/injury caused by (toxic?) substances and a traumatic brain injury/damage. Obviously the causes are the biggest difference. But injury/damage, can have different causes and manifestations. Obviously, our illness is not a result of blunt force trauma or something like that. But as long as the changes stick around for longer than the drug is present, I am going to consider it as brain damage/injury (same thing to me, diff words).

I brought this up because many of my doctors do not believe you can still be sick after being free for so many weeks. Instead, they say that I am an addict with a psychological craving for the drug. I disagree, and some of my doctors disagree with each other. Some of my doctors know that it is some type of injury - ironically, the doctors that will admit this are not the ones who routinely prescribe the benzos to their patients. It is functional damage/injury to my brain which needs time to heal.

Most of all I'm annoyed that my regular family doctor does not treat it as such.

[87...]

oh Magnollie

I know my doctor says four weeks max you are back to your normal self.  This is clearly bs right.  Im done trying to convince them and I do not even bother going to the doctor anymore.  Im sick of paying him to argue a point only to be told I have anxiety yer der I know that but what Im suffering is not anxiety I literally felt sick they just dont get it.  Quite disheartening really.  Im hearing you clearly.

Lizzy

I see it as totally pointless to try to convince some doctor that my brain has been affected by this drug to the degree that it has. I am paying for this, so I want to use the time the way I want to use it.

And I do answer questions, but this is an "argument" I will not have cause I want to get solutions to other problems I have if possible. I have done some brief attempted educational process there only to have her give me a test for adult ADHD, and try to Rx meds for that.

Then there was the attempt to get me to see the neuropsychologist she thinks is so wonderful. And I just said no, I was not doing that. This is not something I find productive as it is a time waster. My deal here is to get some helpful advice with other problems, get the Rx and leave.

I can see where others may want to convince a doc of some damage/injury for their own reasons. I guess we all have our own needs and agenda.

Intend

There is definitely damage, or you can call it injury, whatever feels right for you, but it's the type of damage/injury that will get better with time.  What we can be thankful for is that the body/mind is an amazing piece of work, it can heal itself and adjust to whatever the circumstances might be.

Once I realized it was the drugs making me sick I didn't worry about what the drs thought or what they called it, they hadn't been able to help me before so what difference did it make?

Will you be as good as you once were? Who knows? You might even be better in different ways.  :)

I do believe after this, if I recover, there will be very little that would move me.

Intend, I do not have an agenda with my doctors other than wanting support. What I want is support from them. In order to get support from my doctors, they need to validate my problem first.

So often you see people who have recovered from illness and thank their doctors. nurses, therapists, giving them moral support and encouragement. These patients will invite their wonderful doctors (and their doctors are wonderful for helping them so) to celebrations and thank them in publications. I just read in my local periodical of a girl who invited her team of neurologists to her wedding. The girl had some kind of blunt force trauma to her spine which made her legs temporarily immobile. It took her 6 or so months to walk again but she worked at it very hard, got up every morning, did exercises and went to therapy centers, had her family take her out to keep her from becoming bored.

I hate to say it but if boredom was my biggest challenge for the day I would be quite happy to just not be tortured by neurological symptoms all day long. And she got support from her doctors.

That's what I would like from my doctors. Support.  :pokey:

I do believe after this, if I recover, there will be very little that would move me.

Intend, I do not have an agenda with my doctors other than wanting support. What I want is support from them. In order to get support from my doctors, they need to validate my problem first.

So often you see people who have recovered from illness and thank their doctors. nurses, therapists, giving them moral support and encouragement. These patients will invite their wonderful doctors (and their doctors are wonderful for helping them so) to celebrations and thank them in publications. I just read in my local periodical of a girl who invited her team of neurologists to her wedding. The girl had some kind of blunt force trauma to her spine which made her legs temporarily immobile. It took her 6 or so months to walk again but she worked at it very hard, got up every morning, did exercises and went to therapy centers, had her family take her out to keep her from becoming bored.

I hate to say it but if boredom was my biggest challenge for the day I would be quite happy to just not be tortured by neurological symptoms all day long. And she got support from her doctors.

That's what I would like from my doctors. Support.  :pokey:

Aww Im so sorry. I did to. I know how much that hurts.

I hope you get it !!! Im sure that would feel so good to not only get there Support but there Validation to.Best of Luck to you :)

~Jenny