Anyone had a bad reaction to Wellbutrin?

[Ma...]

It made me extremely anxious and I had to stop taking it.  Just wondering if I would have the same reaction to gabepentin, since both are supposed to be GOOD for anxiety.

Wellbutrin, an AD, is well-known for its "activating" effects, hence anxiety and agitation.  I tried it twice with horrendous agitation and anxiety.  I don't think Wellbutrin is the first medication thought of in terms of treating anxiety. 

Neurontin (gabapentin) is often prescribed "off-label" for anxiety.  It has a completely different mode of action than Wellbutrin.  You could always do a search on the Internet (google:  Neurontin forums) to see how the medication affects a wide variety of people before trying it.  :)Hugs, KLonkers

I had a bad reaction to Gabapentin (Neurontin).  I threw up 10 times in 20 hours (not fun) after only four days of taking it.

Wellbutrin exacerbated Cervical Dystonia, so I stopped that (with my doctor's permission).

At any rate, those are my experiences.

Sincerely,

fg

Wellbutrin made me anxious and emotionally dysfunctional and caused lots of unpleasant physical side effects (constant reflux, twice a week migraines).

Neurontin made me really stupid and impulsive and made me say and do really stupid and impulsive stuff.  And cost me a job and very nearly my career.

I'm not a fan of any psych med.

I tried Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks and it made me feel crazy with anxiety and agitation....I felt all revved up with no place to go.

I currently take 600mg of Neurontin for sleep but I notice absolutely NOTHING after taking it...supposed to make me drowsy but doesn't...I'm going to start tapering off it...

I tried Wellbutrin for about 2 weeks and it made me feel crazy with anxiety and agitation....I felt all revved up with no place to go.

I currently take 600mg of Neurontin for sleep but I notice absolutely NOTHING after taking it...supposed to make me drowsy but doesn't...I'm going to start tapering off it...

Seems like for me and the people I've known who've taken Neurontin for sleep, it helps a bit at first but the effect wears off really fast.

Neurontin is prescribed for all kinds of off label uses but it seems to me its track record is really iffy for anything but seizures and maybe neuropathic pain. 

My psych doc RXd it for anxiety?  I hven't taken it yet as I just started my taper yesterday.  I am very leary of ANYTHING now!

angelluv,

You may want to get a 2nd opinion if you feel it's necessary.  I also, am extra careful about going on any new drugs now.

Sincerely,

fg

First I have to say that I have had a bad reaction to nearly every drug that I have ever taken... I am withdrawing (18 months now) from Valium which was a replacement for a Cold Turkey withdrawal from Clonazepam which sent me into Hell... I was taking Wellbutrin at the same time.  I had been on Wellbutrin a couple of years before, but my Psych took me off it after receiving a letter from the company or government warning of danger of seizures, and I had signs of that.  Why I let her put me on it again I can't remember.  I continued to have odd seizure like incidents (touching my knee made me arch back - weird huh?).  So I did what I have been told was a stupid thing.  Since I did not feel that it was helping at all with depression, I stopped taking the Wellbutrin 6 months into my withdrawal from Valium.  I thought that it did not have any effect. But my withdrawal symptoms got worse... duh! so I guess it did make it worse.  It was good to stop having those weird reactions though.  I can't remember if the anxiety was worse right after stopping the Wellbutrin. It is so hard for figure out what is what when it comes to all the horrible symptoms and reactions that I still have...(less now thank God, but still awful).

Since I react paradoxically to ALL Benzodiazepines, and have reacted to so many SSRI's and other similar drugs, I have it right on my Medic alert. My family doc still tries to get me to take SSRI's in spite of the fact that I am on several Adverse reaction lists.  My family keeps telling me that we are mutants :-) but it really isn't a joke.  I saw the letter that was sent to all doctors about the Wellbutrin... so I would ask (perhaps more than one doc) about anything you are feeling on it...(personal opinion of course).  I forgot to mention that every single time I was taken off an SSRI it was 'Cold Turkey'.  She never felt that I would have any reaction to just stopping that.  On the other hand, she was furious at the doc who C/Ted me off Clonazepam and made me psychotic. Go figure... There seem to be so many holes in their knowledge of what these drugs do and don't do...

• 1 month later...
Wellbutrin made my anxiety shoot through the roof...gabapentin did not but I never went above 600mg and am now off it...I asked my pdoc if gabapentin is used for anxiety and she told me no...but you ask 2 different doctors you get two different answers... :idiot:

Wellbutrin made my anxiety shoot through the roof...gabapentin did not but I never went above 600mg and am now off it...I asked my pdoc if gabapentin is used for anxiety and she told me no...but you ask 2 different doctors you get two different answers... :idiot:

I was put on gabapentin for anxiety. That's how I ended up taking it.  Prescribed by a psychiatrist.  Maybe those people need to be talking to each other.

It didn't make me anxious but it made me really stupid and goofy, not in a good way.

These drugs are so variable and can have such different effects with different people.  It seems to depend on our genes and also on our histories with other psych meds. 

I am very leery of all meds that work on brain chemistry, because they are so powerful and so unpredictable, and because they have been very poorly studied. 

(You would be appalled if you really knew the truth about the science behind these meds.  It's so bad it's hard to believe.)

I just always urge caution with any new psych drug.  You just never know if you're going to be one of the lucky folks, or one of the unlucky folks.  If you're lucky, great, but you can't know in advance.

Hi Mairin-I had horrible side-effects from Wellbutrin with nausea, insomnia, anxiety, etc., after just a few days of taking it.  However, I had none of those problems with gabapentin.  It has greatly helped my anxiety, and I am now tapering off of it.  I hope this helps.  Hugs,  Jenn

I had horrible side effects from Wellbutrin also but my sister has been taking it for like 11 years and is now slowly weaning herself off it.  My mother had no problems for the three years she was on it and had no trouble weaning off it either.  I also had a h*ll of a time on Prosac. I have been RXd Gabapentin but am nervous to even try it! I am sensative to most drugs, although, thankfully my body seems to be handeling the Valium well.  I see a naturepath for help with my symptoms and so far so good. . . Angelluv

I was actually given Wellbutrin yrs ago before Chantix was available to help me stop smoking and it was awful! Second day on it and anxiety was so bad I wanted to crawl out of my skin.  I am taking Inderal and Visteral to help with my anxiety and tremors and it isn't a fix but it does help a little with the anxiety. 

• 2 months later...

I would word mine as a "life-threatening" reaction.

I took Wellbutrin XL for one month and lost 20 pounds due to nausea.  It also caused major disruptions in my sleeping patterns and blood pressure dropping in the middle of the day causing me to almost pass out at my desk at work at or around noon hour.  I was forced to go home everyday at that time and sleep, then sleep again at normal time and up at 4:30AM every morning.  I could not force myself to stay awake in the afternoon.  I stopped taking it a month after and the symptoms remained for another month and I lost another 20 pounds.  I seriously thought I was dying as did others close to me.

It was up there with my attempt to rapid taper (15mg to 10mg) my diazepam as one of the worst experiences I have ever had on a medication.  I have had better experiences on other A/D's (Celexa/Cymbalta) but think a tricyclic would be more appropriate for anyone with normal anxiety conditions as they are stimulants.  I am off the SSRI now and doing better.  Had some rebound depression for about a month but feeling better now and have started my benzo taper.

currently takeing wellbrutrin, was put back on it after being 5 months off. maybe will be changed to zoloft later on today, I'm in the local hosptial. the drs seems to think that if it worked before then it will work again. they really don't know s***!

[bd...]

I was on Wellbutrin for 14 years only to find out the I had an atypical reaction to it. I kept trying to tell drs that I had developed an exaggerated startle response and I could feel excess adrenaline all the time. I never slept unless I took something for sleep and this is what lead to being prescribed a benzo......Like most of us....I wish I had informed myself more.

Wellbutrin is an amphetamine derivative. No wonder it hypes many people up. My suggestion is ....be very careful about adding more drugs to the mix.  :)

Bupropion (amfebutamone) (brand names Wellbutrin and Zyban) is an antidepressant of the amino ketone class, chemically unrelated to tricyclics or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It is similar in structure to the stimulant cathinone, and to phenethylamines in general. It is a chemical derivative of diethylpropion, an amphetamine-like substance used as an anorectic. Bupropion is both a dopamine reuptake inhibitor and a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.

Aw my gosh yes..many years ago I was on it forr a week only and thought I was going nuts and I was. My mom was on it before she died of cancer to help Herr quit smoking. She told me she was up at night peeling wallpaper off the walls she wanted redone. She couldn't sleep and was making Herr crazy. Best to you as I am new and this is my third day of tapering and I'm feeling it bad.