When Does the Hissing Stop?

Hi all. When does the hissing stop? Please tell us when your hissing, tinnitus, buzzing head stopped. How long did it take?

Thanks,

Bear

Hi Bear,

As far as I am aware there is no set time scale for any w/d symptoms to stop. Think everyone has different experiences, albeit with the same bunch of symptoms, more or less.

I have had tinnitus at various stages during my taper, but no hissing. Had buzzing electrical like jolts in head for around last year, usually when I am just falling asleep.

Henryk.

Hi all. Henryk thank your for writing. I write this topic to learn how long other people suffered. I am very interested in this. I would like to know how much time it takes after finishing the taper to when the tinnitus/hissing/electrical noise stops.

I would like to hear from anyone who has been healed from this noise. Comments from all are welcome.

Thank you,

Bear  ;)

Sorry Bear,

misunderstood you there, thought you were asking when yours would stop  :brickwall: forgive my benzo brain.  :o

Henryk.

Bear

I would like an answer as much as you. I have this exact symptom never a quiet day with a take your pick noise but mostly electrical static sensation. Sometimes I get a hissing from the top of my head but never stops. I've had this for 15m now. It started during a previous aborted taper. Lets hope we get some +ve responses

Good Luck

B

Bear, I am with you here. I have had an electrical hissing sound in my head since I CT'd last October. It's very loud and is enough by itself, without other symptoms, to drive a person crazy!

On one occasion for about 20 seconds, The sound was less intense. But, that didn't last for long.

Let's pray it goes away soon.  :angel:

J

I have had hissing and 'chirping' since the middle of my taper...I am now 9 months off and I still have it.  It's particularly bad when I wake up in the morning, or when I'm anxious.  I have to sleep with the television on, or have some other form of white noise.

Hope this goes away for all of us!

Donna

Hi all. Blower1, JaneSmith, damaged123, thank you for writing. This is useful information. It would be nice to hear from people who have healed from this. Anyone out there who has healed from tinnitus/hissing/electrical noise? At what month after stopping the drug did you get relief?

Thank you,

Bear  ;)  :thumbsup: 

Hi bear

as you know I am dealing with tinnitus too! 13 weeks benzo free and its not as bad as it can be but still there and yes its hissing now (like the sound of air bowing out of a punctured tire)

It is the only symptom that has lasted this long and to be honest it was and has been my most annoying!

Hang in there bear you are not alone on this one!

Hi Bear. Wow, the sx is just awful, it is tied for first place with other bad sx. The reason I know it will go away is that about 2 months after c/t, I had a full day with no hissing! My other sx were still unworldly, but it was Nirvana not to have it. Now, at almost 1 year out, I have 6 - 12 hour chunks of very low level noise about once or twice a week. Unfortunately though, other times, it's still severe. I too never shut my TV off, I thought it for "company", maybe it's for the noise offset.

Take good care.  :)

M.

Hi all Tuktuk, my symptoms are similar to yours, mostly hissing. Thank you for writing.

mplsgrl, yours is improved off and on. You are 1 year out. It sounds as though you are getting a break from it off and on? Valuable information. Thank you.

I would like to hear from others.

Best,

Bear

Hi Bear,

I have had tinnitus from another inner ear condition I have and it became worse with the withdrawals. To be honest, this could be one of the last symptoms to leave you. The inner ear is extremely sensitive to hormonal and other metabolic changes in the body. The inner ear is definitely the "canary in the mine" type of thing. When all other issues become much more stable, the tinnitus should at least lessen and eventually disappear with time. My tinnitus varies often from the sound of jet on the tarmac to the light ring that's barely noticeable. Right now mine is fairly light but my hearing is really bad.

I am sure if you had no hearing or tinnitus before benzo's or withdrawal that you can expect to fully recover with time!  :)

OTM

Hi all. On The Mend, thank you for writing. You are improving. That's good to know. Thank you for your kind words and support. I would like to hear from people who have had their tinnitus leave. I wonder how long it took them to heal tinnitus from withdrawal.

Best,

Bear

Retire2010 here.  It’s been several months since I’ve visited the forum.  I love the new look.  I just wanted to drop by and say hello, and to try and give a few words of encouragement to those who are on this benzo recovery journey.

I am now nearly 2.5 years benzo free.  I am completely and unequivocally symptom free and healed of all of my symptoms!  I want to make comment about the two most difficult symptoms that I had throughout my recovery journey that plaque me 24-7; insomnia and tinnitus.  After being forced to suffer with ungodly ringing in my head/ears for nearly 3 years, my tinnitus is but a whisper, if that.  I woke up one morning about three months ago and realized that the ringing was gone.  Because I have allergies, every now and again the ringing will resurface, and then as quickly as it resurfaced, will disappear.  I find myself sitting quiet sometimes listening for the ringing, and it’s not there.  So, can you be healed of tinnitus?  Absolutely YES!  I’m a living witness to that.  Now, on to the insomnia.  Even though the tinnitus was torturous the tinnitus and insomnia combined were a nightmare.  Those two symptoms fed off of each other.  If I didn’t sleep well, the tinnitus would be unbearably louder, and due to the volume of the tinnitus, I couldn’t sleep…what a vicious cycle.  With the insomnia, I remember days at a time wanting to sleep but couldn’t, and the more fatigued I was the louder my tinnitus became.  But all that has changed now.  Now I sleep fine – I mean I don’t get the 8-10 hours a night like I use to prior to my benzo use, but I sleep well, and my body gets sufficient rest and sleep without those benzo jumps and jolts that can awaken you and scare the bejesus out of you!  I would say that at maximum, I’ll get 6 hours of sleep per night.  But, I don’t attribute any lack of sleep due to benzos, but to the fact that I am still in perimenopause.  Nonetheless, I make up the sleep difference by taking naps anytime that I well please (but not at work mind you).

This Post from Retire has helped me alot.  It will go away.  We just have to try and stay as busy as we can.

• 2 weeks later...

i had pulsatile tinnitus - where i would hear squeaking at the sound of my heart beat. squeak squeak squeak and it took about a year after not having nay benzos.

I don't notice it now at all.

I get jolts every now and then but maybe thats just because of my head thinking too much whilst my body is so very tired