• [Ch...]

• [fi...]

• [GH...]

• [we...]

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wikipedia:

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(Redirected from Benzodiazepine withdrawal)

Jump to: navigation, search

Benzodiazepines

Chemical structure diagram of a benzene ring fused to a diazepine ring. Another benzene ring is attached to the bottom of the diazepine ring via a single line. Attached to the first benzene ring is a side chain labeled R7; to the second, a side chain labeled R2'; and attached to the diazepine ring, two side chains labeled R1 and R2.

The core structure of benzodiazepines.

"R" labels denote common locations of

side chains, which give different

benzodiazepines their unique properties.

Benzodiazepine

List of benzodiazepines

Benzodiazepine overdose

Benzodiazepine dependence

Benzodiazepine misuse

Long-term effects of benzodiazepines

Classification and external resources

ICD-10 F13.3

Benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome—often abbreviated to benzo withdrawal—is the cluster of symptoms that appear when a person who has taken benzodiazepines long term and has developed benzodiazepine dependence stops taking benzodiazepine drug(s) or during dosage reductions. Benzodiazepine withdrawal is similar to alcohol withdrawal syndrome and barbiturate withdrawal syndromes,[1] and can in severe cases provoke life-threatening withdrawal symptoms, such as seizures.[2] Severe and life-threatening symptoms are mostly limited to abrupt or over-rapid dosage reduction from high doses.[3] A protracted withdrawal syndrome may develop in a proportion of individuals with symptoms such as anxiety, irritability, insomnia and sensory disturbances. In a small number of people, it can be severe and exacerbate or resemble serious psychiatric and medical conditions, such as mania, schizophrenia, and, especially at high doses, seizure disorders.[4] A serious side effect of benzodiazepine withdrawal is suicide.[5]

The protracted withdrawal can be minimised in intensity and severity by a slow, gradual reduction in dosage.[6] Withdrawal of benzodiazepines is usually beneficial due to the adverse effects associated with the long-term use of benzodiazepines.[7] However, long-term users of benzodiazepines are recommended not to be forced to withdraw against their wills.[3]

Chronic exposure to benzodiazepines causes physical adaptations in the brain that counteract the drugs' effects, known as a tolerance and physical dependence. When the drug is removed or dosage reduced in an individual physically dependent on it, numerous withdrawal symptoms, both physical and psychological, may appear and will remain present until the body reverses the physical dependence by making adaptions to the drug-free environment and thus returning the brain to normal function.[8] Generally, the higher the dose and the longer a benzodiazepine is used and the more rapidly a benzodiazepine is discontinued, the more likely severe withdrawal symptoms will occur. However, severe withdrawal symptoms can still occur during gradual dose reduction or from relatively low doses.[9]

In certain selected patient groups, the occurrence of withdrawal symptoms is as high as 100%, whereas in unselected patient groups, more than 50% of subjects are able to discontinue benzodiazepines with mild or even no withdrawal symptoms at all. Withdrawal symptoms may persist for weeks, months, or years after cessation of benzodiazepines. In a smaller subset of patients, withdrawal symptoms may continue at subacute levels for many months or even a year or more. Long-term use of benzodiazepines may lead to withdrawal-like symptoms emerging despite a constant therapeutic dose. Correctly attributing previously misdiagnosed withdrawal symptoms such as anxiety to the withdrawal effects of benzodiazepines, individualised taper strategies according to withdrawal severity, the addition of alternative strategies such as reassurance and referral to benzodiazepine withdrawal support groups increase the success rate of withdrawal.[10][11] Withdrawal symptoms can resemble psychiatric symptoms which doctors often interpret as evidence for the need of benzodiazepines, which in turn leads to withdrawal failure and reinstatement of benzodiazepines, often to higher doses.[4]

[57...]

and yes ive seen that movie  ;D

The Bucket List...great movie.  Also, and I'm not joking, Civet coffee (Kopi Luwak) is the best coffee I ever tasted in my life.

[76...]
day 12 feeling a little out of it tired from the risp. resp. whatever u call it but DEFINITELY feeling better, not worse than yesterday so that is great!  :thumbsup:

day 12 feeling a little out of it tired from the risp. resp. whatever u call it but DEFINITELY feeling better, not worse than yesterday so that is great!  :thumbsup:

Hi Jane

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit out of it, but its good that you are definitely feelling better than yesterday.

I just  noticed you are taking phenobarb.

As that is a gaba acting drug also, it may be dulling any withdrawals and preventing you from being ill.

I'm sure you know that phenobarb has to be tapered and withdrawn from carefully, and I wish you best of, in both the valium and the phenobarb.

[76...]

yes i am aware of that thanks :thumbsup:

I will drop to 60 mgs in 6 days, then 30 the next week, then 0.

per psychiatrist

how are you doing?

yes i am aware of that thanks :thumbsup:

I will drop to 60 mgs in 6 days, then 30 the next week, then 0.

per psychiatrist

how are you doing?

Hi Jane

I dunno much about phenobarb, but I have a feeling it should be tapered slowly.

Anyway, may you go from strength to strength.

FWIW I was taking gabapentin to prevent seizures for 2 weeks after CT. I just stopped it. The pheono dose is 60 to 250 mg/day, so  I think you will be fine.

I hope you feel better

good healing

[76...]
yeah ive had a window hopefully i think thats what it is since mid last night...keeps getting better, I am thinking of going to church and doing everyday things already.  :)

[76...]

oh no im kinda self detoxing/cting

I stopped the benzos almost 13 days ago been feeling better since the ER visit...I hope this is a sign for things to pass!  :)

phenobarb is a barbituate but is a lot less addicting than benzos and carries less of a risk for dependancy...pretty much just keeps me from seziuring...i still have all the classic symptoms...my brain is rewiring though and I cant wait to be at 100% :)

:smitten:

[76...]

FWIW I was taking gabapentin to prevent seizures for 2 weeks after CT. I just stopped it. The pheono dose is 60 to 250 mg/day, so  I think you will be fine.

I hope you feel better

good healing

I am thanks!!! What drug class is Gabapentin? thanks!

[76...]
I tried reading on it earlier...does it work on the cns or like it says in the name "gaba"?

Well done Jane

I would steer clear of gabapentin, because that also acts on the GABA system.

It will only cause more problems, as it will contribute in keeping the gaba receptors down-regulated.

Benzo recovery is about allowing time for the GABA receptors to up regulate themselves on their own.

hope that helps

[76...]
pheno still acts on it too i think...its a barbituate. well everyone im almost at 2 weeks off have some annoying tinittus or however you spell it...will not go away for the life of me...but i guess things could be worse. :)

[76...]
Thanks! I just hope when im off the detox meds i wont be a mess...ive been fixating a lot on that today as well.

pheno still acts on it too i think...its a barbituate. well everyone im almost at 2 weeks off have some annoying tinittus or however you spell it...will not go away for the life of me...but i guess things could be worse. :)

Yes pheno does act on the gaba like benzos.

The tinnitus you are getting is a withdrawal symptom.

I also had tinnitus and blurry vision when I was in a detox center and they gave me Phenobarb.  Once the Phenobarb was stopped, the tinnitus left.

fg

[76...]

I also had tinnitus and blurry vision when I was in a detox center and they gave me Phenobarb.  Once the Phenobarb was stopped, the tinnitus left.

fg

What happened if you dont mind me asking? Why did the detox program fail? or if you wish to tell me later via PM thats ok :)