50 and over club- withdrawal and recovery issues for the aged :-)

[ve...]

Sunnyside how dd they diagnose the Labyrintitus?  I had very bad vertigo two winters in a row.  It was miserable and I am starting to wonder if it was that.  Thanks

fb

Sunnyside how dd they diagnose the Labyrintitus?  I had very bad vertigo two winters in a row.  It was miserable and I am starting to wonder if it was that.  Thanks

fb

I was DX. totally by my presenting symptoms and a brief office visit to my GP, not an ENT.  I woke up one morning, got out of bed,  and fell into the wall.  It was as if I was on a tilt-a-whirl.  Horrible, spinning vertigo.  I could barely walk down the hall in our home...had to hang on to the walls.  Had nausea and horrible anxiety with it. I had had a really mild cold the week prior...  Doc listened to my story, briefly checked my eyes for nystagmus, looked in my ears and nose and listened to heart and lungs.  That's about it. He said matter-of-factly, "You have Labyrinthitis...I had it too, and it was just like this...."  He said it was probably viral but gave me an antibiotic just in case it was bacterial, which was unlikely.  He also gave me some exercises to do at home in the event I also had BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) and I did those, as well  (Cawthorne's Head Exercises).  I was off work a week.  Didn't have a fever or anything...

Wish I hadn't taken that Ativan.  :(

I am 101 years old, well not really, but that is the age i feel.

I was on oxycontin and benzos for ten years, life was nothing. At age 50 i decided that I was gonna live life, or die.  So i was treated at the clinic for comprehensive pain management. They got me off all medications in 2 weeks. That was 9/10.

As far as being a member? I usually wont join a club that would have me as a member, but in t his case, I will make an exception.

good healing, fair winds

I see I am in great company here at the 50 and over club!!  Hey, I always make use of the senior discounts when I shop, I'm cheap!!!  :thumbsup:

I was put on ativan in 2008 after some strange symptoms sent me to the er. My doc thought it was a middle ear issue and sent me to an ENT.  The ENT said I had labrynthitis and gave me ativan. I did not have classic labrynthitis symptoms and  it was later determined the symptoms were due to degenerative disc disease and nerve damage in my neck.  Unfortunately they found out too late.  After 6 weeks on ativan I was dependent. The rest is history.

I wonder if we should get t-shirts for our trip to Disney World???  :D

pianogirl

• Like 1

pianogirl

PG, that is a stellar idea!  What would they say?

I'm inclined to make a cheerful sign and post it on my bathroom mirror...."Disneyworld or bust." 

I am 49 John, 50 this year, do I get to join the club?  :yippee:

Ok H, we'll let you in early but you have to promise you'll be off your benzo by 50 :pokey::)

V

I promise, I promise! Thank you Uncle V! :yippee:;)

My history:

Valium for 19 months now,#

Two failed attempts to get off last year, did not have clue what I was dealing with, sadly neither did Docs, hit real bad, in a lot of pain for most of the year that I never really contributed to V.

Slow taper this year, hit back again after micro cutting for 32 weeks.

Just started tapering again after a seven week hold, can't say so far so good by any stretch of the imagination, but so far better I think than when I was holding. And better than I expected.

Oh boy! A club I can join  :yippee:

57 - 58 in May. Where did my 40's and 50's go?  Honestly my memory of the last 12+years is dim and in some ways I feel like I'm early forties. Sometimes I'm shocked when I look in the mirror. It's like, "Mom? I didn't know you were coming over! "

I had nystagmus, Sunnyside. Woke up with it. What happens at night that we wake up with upside down worlds? Mr Flip drove me to the ER, I was so scared, I could tell there was a shape of some sort violently dancing on the ER wall. They gave me an IV injection of meclizine and in 30 seconds the box turned into a thermostat and I could read the temp from across the room.

The neurologist sent an internal memo to the PCP saying perhaps my Benzo dose was too high. Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, I was surprised. Had never considered benzos to be a reason for any of my ills.  Happened to pick up Anatomy of an Epidemic at the library and my ill-informed journey began.

Would really like some of myself back.  ::)

Flip

I see I am in great company here at the 50 and over club!!  Hey, I always make use of the senior discounts when I shop, I'm cheap!!!  :thumbsup:

:laugh:. I still haven't ordered my AARP card!

I was put on ativan in 2008 after some strange symptoms sent me to the er. My doc thought it was a middle ear issue and sent me to an ENT.  The ENT said I had labrynthitis and gave me ativan. I did not have classic labrynthitis symptoms and  it was later determined the symptoms were due to degenerative disc disease and nerve damage in my neck.  Unfortunately they found out too late.  After 6 weeks on ativan I was dependent. The rest is history.

Sorry about the misdiagnosis Piano.  My ENT, on the other hand, was one of the good docs who properly diagnosed my vertigo after my initial c/t back in 2008, same year.

T shirt would be cool 8).  Stay away from the spinning tea cups at Disney though.  A friend of a friend told me she got vertigo after riding that and a few other spinning rides!!! 

Vertigo

pianogirl

Oh boy! A club I can join :yippee: 57 - 58 in May. Where did my 40's and 50's go?

Hey, maybe there's a hidden benefit to having cog fog? It can actually make us younger!

Honestly my memory of the last 12+years is dim and in some ways I feel like I'm early forties.

Works for me :)

Sometimes I'm shocked when I look in the mirror. It's like, "Mom? I didn't know you were coming over! "

;D. On a serious note, my mother got hooked on a bunch of benzos like xanax and ativan around mid fifties which eventually led to several nervous breakdowns, which I now suspect was due to tolerance and throwing a bunch of a/ds at her instead of managing her benzo.

I had nystagmus, Sunnyside. Woke up with it. What happens at night that we wake up with upside down worlds? Mr Flip drove me to the ER, I was so scared, I could tell there was a shape of some sort violently dancing on the ER wall.

My wife drove me to the ER when I got vertigo. Didn't want to pay the $500 ambulance fee. No senior discounts were available from the paramedics ::). It can be scary.

They gave me an IV injection of meclizine and in 30 seconds the box turned into a thermostat and I could read the temp from across the room.

Meclizine did nothing for me. I didn't really have nausea. My vestibular therapist and otoneurologist later told me that meclizine, also known as "anti vert" won't help the vertigo or dizzies, only the nausea, which I didn't have! Yet the ER quack sent me home with meclizine and no valium! I reinstated valium a few days later and the vertigo was gone :yippee:.

The neurologist sent an internal memo to the PCP saying perhaps my Benzo dose was too high. Honestly, as stupid as it sounds, I was surprised. Had never considered benzos to be a reason for any of my ills. Happened to pick up Anatomy of an Epidemic at the library and my ill-informed journey began. Would really like some of myself back. ::) Flip

You'll get there, slowly but surely, Flip :thumbsup: Vertigo

Hi everyone,

I'm in the over 50 club.  In fact, I was in the club when I started around 2000 or so.  Thankfully, I've been off ("free") for a little over two years.  It feels good!

Rumi

p.s. I won't be spending much time here, by necessity.  I do want to give a "shout out" to my friend Vertigo, though.  He's a good man!  (and was very helpful during my withdrawal)

Thanks for the support Vertigo.

No, meclazine has not helped vertigo one teeny bit. It did arrest the nystagmus. I had to have vestibular physical therapy to learn to walk straight again. Now I only have vestibular whirling when in very high stress situations, which, unfortunately include driving on the interstate. It's just not doable right now.

So if we go to Disney World, we need to hire a bus driver. The Benzo Bus!  ;)

Hi everyone,  I'm in the over 50 club.  In fact, I was in the club when I started around 2000 or so.  Thankfully, I've been off ("free") for a little over two years.  It feels good!

Rumi

p.s. I won't be spending much time here, by necessity.  I do want to give a "shout out" to my friend Vertigo, though.  He's a good man!  (and was very helpful during my withdrawal)

Hi Rumi.  Good to hear from one of our valium tapering success stories from back in the day when I had just finished my taper and kept that "Under 4mg and chipping away" thread going for a while in 2010 :yippee:.  No doubt, being benzo free is one of the best things I've done for my health and I'm sure many feel the same way.  Good to hear from you buddy.

Vertigo

Thanks for the support Vertigo.  No, meclazine has not helped vertigo one teeny bit. It did arrest the nystagmus. I had to have vestibular physical therapy to learn to walk straight again. Now I only have vestibular whirling when in very high stress situations, which, unfortunately include driving on the interstate. It's just not doable right now.  So if we go to Disney World, we need to hire a bus driver. The Benzo Bus!  ;)

Sounds like you needed that vestibular therapy more than I did.  I only went once or twice, mostly because I reinstated and that got rid of the vertigo, maybe I was lucky. 

Benzo bus? Either that or the "No Mo Benzo" bus :pokey::)

I am 101 years old, well not really, but that is the age i feel. I was on oxycontin and benzos for ten years, life was nothing. At age 50 i decided that I was gonna live life, or die. So i was treated at the clinic for comprehensive pain management. They got me off all medications in 2 weeks. That was 9/10. As far as being a member? I usually wont join a club that would have me as a member, but in t his case, I will make an exception. good healing, fair winds

Good to have you aboard Ghostship.

Graucho

I am 49 John, 50 this year, do I get to join the club? :yippee:
Ok H, we'll let you in early but you have to promise you'll be off your benzo by 50 :pokey::) V
I promise, I promise! Thank you Uncle V! :yippee:;) My history: Valium for 19 months now,# Two failed attempts to get off last year, did not have clue what I was dealing with, sadly neither did Docs, hit real bad, in a lot of pain for most of the year that I never really contributed to V. Slow taper this year, hit back again after micro cutting for 32 weeks. Just started tapering again after a seven week hold, can't say so far so good by any stretch of the imagination, but so far better I think than when I was holding. And better than I expected.

No worries Henryk.  I've come across a few docs who weren't benzo wise or even plain old wise but there are some good ones out there, right?  Actually, I found a few though it took some time.  I hope this next attempt to taper off will be easier for you.  Sometimes holding for too long is not so good either...

Vertigo

Well I'm 75, so I guess I'm one of the real oldies.  Vertigo was the reason I was put on benzo's as needed for 17 years.  It really did help me and I did a lot of things I wouldn't have been able to do without something to calm down my exquisitely sensitive balance system.  I'm now off balance all of the time but am learning to live with it and not up for much rock climbing these days anyway.  I took my last benzo 20 months ago.  Many symptoms gone but prickly skin and balance issues still with me. 

I do think that younger bodies can repair themselves faster than older ones, but we do heal - we really do!

I couldn't handle Disney World - too much visual stimulation for me - and the rides? forget it.  I'll go for a nice quiet walk and think of the rest of you and your merry band having a great time.

Paresthesia

Wahoo - I qualify too!!  :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: So glad I found a place where I am not called "Tannie" - that is Afrikaans for Auntie and it was what all the addicts in the rehab called me last year - their average age was about 22!!  Yip started on this crud at the tender age of 39 and will have been on it 13years next month.  Disneyland sounds so much more fun than ShadyCove Retirement Village :).  Since I post on the insomnia thread EVERY day do I get a Sleeping Beauty T-Shirt?? :heybabe:

Wow Paresthesia. 

You win the award for seniorist member to get off a benzo!!!  I salute you.  Well, sorry you won't be joining us down in Disney, but we'll be thinking of you.  So you're having some balance issues now, guess it's to be expected.  When you say prickly skin, do you have any itching?  Be careful about Shingles.  I got it a month after my taper ended.  They also have some kind of vaccine for it now too.

Vertigo

Wahoo - I qualify too!! :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: So glad I found a place where I am not called "Tannie" - that is Afrikaans for Auntie and it was what all the addicts in the rehab called me last year - their average age was about 22!! Yip started on this crud at the tender age of 39 and will have been on it 13years next month. Disneyland sounds so much more fun than ShadyCove Retirement Village :). Since I post on the insomnia thread EVERY day do I get a Sleeping Beauty T-Shirt?? :heybabe:

Welcome Aunty Meeee :pokey:;D. Ok, I meant cousin ;)

I'll have to check out the insomnia thread. I've been off two years and sleep has been one of only a couple remaining issues (which I had before benzos too). I've been taking 1 or 2mg melatonin the last month not sure if it's helping or not.  Count me in for the "Sleeping Beauty" T shirt :thumbsup:.

Vertigo

My body laughs at me when I take melatonin - guess that is what you get from taking 7 times the prescribed dose of sleep meds for so many years.  I read once that every time you take a sleeping tablet you are borrowing sleep from the future - I doubt I will ever be able to repay it in this lifetime  :-X

This is great - a club that will actually let me in. I’m 58 with 13 years of Klonopin use and 40 years of active alcoholism.

I don’t really want to go to Disney World. In 1998, after I had been on Klonopin for about a year, my daughter and son went to Disney World with their grandparents. Before they left, I asked my daughter to get me Goofy’s autograph. (I have always envisioned him as a kind of “self-portrait” because we have a lot in common.) When they returned from Disney World, my daughter brought back a picture of her with Goofy AND his autograph. It was greater than anything I could have imagined.

Well, it’s been 14 years since then (12 of them on Klonopin and booze). Now that I am 20 months free of the Klonopin and 2 ½ years from my last drink, the brain fog is clearing, and I am realizing that the Goofy in the picture with my daughter was fake - as well as his signature.

It was like an epiphany. The real Goofy never left Disneyland. He still resides there. It’s a well-kept secret. So, I am suggesting we go to Disneyland so that we can search for Goofy. (Or at least I can search for him.)

I am finally able to sort reality from fantasy after 20 months. It’s great. I am hoping for even greater revelations in the future.

Still gonna let me join?  :idiot:

eli