50 and over club- withdrawal and recovery issues for the aged :-)

[ve...]

Hello,

Don't despair you over 50 people.

I am a wee bit past 71 and I'm doing fine. I'm from the long hold support group, but it's kind of slow today so I  thought I'd look around to see what's happening on other threads.

Thought I'd give you a glimpse of my story, although goodness knows I am NO EXPERT!  I started my taper in January 2016. Went down from 7.5 mg Valium to 1.2 mg  from January to May.

Now it 2017 and I am at .985 mg, that's less than 1 mg. I'm going real slow because as you get lower it gets harder. So it will probably take me another year or a bit longer than that, but atleast I'm not dealing with crazy wdsx. I can function and live my life.

Everyone tapers differently. Everybody finds the way that works for them. No one way is the right way.

Just wanted to let  you know, once you find the tapering method that works for you, you will be ok. Just don't rush to get off, because that's when the problems begin, with all kinds of bad wdsx.

Good luck to you all, but don't worry about your age. IMO  Your age will not interfere . BUT RUSHING TO GET OFF, WILL MAKE THINGS VERY VERY VERY DIFFICULT.  IMO ......    S L O W. D O W N

Good LUCK TO ALL OF YOU, FROM A FELLOW TAPERING BUDDY

HEATHCLIFF

Hey Mike,

Good to see ya in this neck of the woods, so sorry thing remain difficult! I agree with the others.... finding your taper method and speed is huge. SLOW is key. I too started my V tapering at 7.5ml. I manage about 2 ml or 2mg a year. Some can taper a bit quicker than that, but that is truly all my brain and body can handle.  Like Heathcliff, it will take me a little over a year to complete my tapering - barring nothing to interrupt my MT rhythm. I know you can do this, as you are a strong man who has endured much and knows how to persevere.  It can be rather hard to accept that we must go slow, but once you are in your groove of reducing, you will feel that since of great accomplishment over the tiniest reductions - cause each reduction is huge. Remember - that with each reduction, no matter the size ( like the immeasurable ones i make at times) is a reduction that we get to say good bye to forever, A little bit of progress is better than none. You can do this! I believe it. :smitten:

Hi all! I'm 51 1/2 and new to BB. I think I may have found my new home here. How are you all doing? So far I've been lucky and been able to cut a significant amount with no significant sx. I hope it stays that way.

I've been off all a little while & I'm having tightness in chest. I can't tell if its from withdrawal or a bona fide heart problem. Had terrible heartburn but that seems gone. Any ideas on this?

Dog tag,

That's a tough one. Chest tightness certainly can happen in wd and I've had it from time to time. Happens with anxiety too. Any shortness of breath, GI discomfort, lightheadedness, or pain anywhere? If you have any other symptoms I'd sure get it checked out. One of the hard things about wd is that we have all of the symptoms of a gazillion medical problems. Sorting that out is a beast. Be safe.

MT

I've been off all a little while & I'm having tightness in chest. I can't tell if its from withdrawal or a bona fide heart problem. Had terrible heartburn but that seems gone. Any ideas on this?

Deffinately sounds like WD sxs to me. I get it as well in the toughest days after a cut. I also get that hard to swallow feeling along with it. Both are caused by muscles that are tense.

You can usually work out the tightness with stretches and maybe a heating pad.

If you google these sxs you can find you tube videos on exercises that can help.

Biggest thing is not to let it scare you, easier said than done I know.!!

Feel better soon. :thumbsup:

ATU 🙏🏻

Hello all...

Been looking for a "niche" thread, and this very well may be it.  :)

I have made 9 or 10 attempts at getting off this poison and can tell you from personal experience each time is harder than the last.

But off I must get.  Totally off.  I'll be 55 on my next birthday.  Starting at a high dose is going to take a while, but hopefully I will get there.

Looking to hear from others and gain encouragement that it's "not too late" at 55 to be going through this process.

I hope everyone is faring well today.

P.S.  I need to clean up and simplify my Signature so it's not so "busy" and confusing.

Mike, I started tapering from 5mg of A at the age of 63 and finished tapering at the age of 66.  You're never too old.  Regarding your pain issues, might I suggest you see a good neurologist?  Keep the faith, buddy.

Thanks All Tied Up. My heart rhythm seems fine & I did go to doc a few months ago. This is the first time I've been off everything & I was wondering if I got old & things aren't working right. I'm not in pain, just uncomfortable & weirded out. Being impatient I guess. Not quite as physically resilient as I was 15 years ago. Been walking a few hours every day with mild workouts. Still have slight stomach cramps, stress headaches, but can sleep enough. Sounds like some people have a much tougher time. I didn't think I'd ever get off but one day I just did it. The low energy thing gets to me as does the weakness in chest. Will perk up now. Glad to know it's part of recovery.

Texan Mike Welcome!I It is never too late to be free. I started my taper at age 59 on January 31st 2016  after 30 years on xanax and I completed my taper one year ago on May 31st 2016  just a week  after my 60th birthday. It is tough I think because we are older and our bodies aren't as resilient- but healing does happen- slowly but surely. Like others here I still get chest discomfort and tightness along with heartburn and sometimes it is tough to tell the difference between the symptoms and heart problems. I have leaned that getting anxious over the symptoms only makes them worse so I tell myself over and over you have had these feelings before and they haven't killed you yet- so this will pass...and they do pass. Hang in there- you are stronger than you think!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all , I'm 58 and trying to taper Valium , not having an easy time!

I mostly post in the long hold group , but , I actually have a question for Gard.... Or anyone else who might have input about a cross from Valium to Librium . ( Gard , your PMs are off :smitten:)

Anyway , here is my message to Gard, I welcome any feedback from anyone else, many thanks, MiYu.

Hi Gard :smitten: how are you feeling? I hope things are improving for you.....

I wanted to ask you about Librium.... I am thinking of asking my doc about crossing over to it. I. Having such a rough time with the Valium , I don't know why . It makes me feel so awful when I take it now. Especially if I don't have enough food in my stomach , like this morning , and it literally shocks my system it goes in so fast I get short of breath , anxious, rapid heart beat ... Not nice. Things settle down after a while , but then it's time for another dose! Evening dose seems easier , but it still makes my head feel like it's full of concrete.

I was wondering what you experience of Librium is like , when you take it , how long it takes to come on , how many times a day you dose? Given that I am having to take Valium 3 X day , I could just as well be on a short acting benzo !

I don't mind the multiple dosing , I don't work so , my life kinda revolves around it!

I would like some releif from the reaction to the benzo tho . Dealing with the WDs is bad enough.

Anyway , if you have time , maybe you could write me a little about your experience with Librium . I wonder if it would be a hard crossover .......

I think the equivalent of v to L would be about 5 mgs L to 2 mgs V . So I'd be starting on about 20 mgs Librium .

I read that L is soluble in water ..... Do you do equal dosing and reduction from your total daily dose?

Trying to avoid WDs from rapid metabolizing ...like I got when I did V in vodka/ water . I now use nut milk .... I can do a bit of research myself on that.

One more question , does the effect of L hit you hard when you take a dose , or dose it come on slowly with your vodka/ water solution?

Thanks Gard so much .....

Love, MiYu  :smitten: :smitten:

• 1 month later...

Hello over 50 buddies!

Not much happening on the long hold support group this weekend. That's where I am most of the time. But I think this support group may be good for me as well. Hope you don't mind me joining in.

Anyway, all you buddies who are here, I want to ask you a question.

First of all, I am a very young 71. Yes, a real oldie but goody, but if you saw me or knew me well, you'd now I am really like a fifty or sixty year old. But enough about that. I just didn't want anyone thinking I had one foot in the grave.

So I am down to .9 mg v from 7.5 in January 2016. I've had my tough spots alright, but I am  doing ok now, after a hold of 4 months and switching to liquid Valium and doing a modified micro taper. I am cutting .005 every 2 or 3 days with a hold when I feel it's necessary. Wdsx have been very minimal when I do it this way.

Question. .... have any of you heard that in older people the valium( or any benzo) stays in your system ( in your metabolites, whatever that is) longer than a younger person?

Is that true?

What does that mean?

Does that make it harder to get off one's benzo?

Is it harder for an older person to get off these benzos than a younger person?

What are metabolites? Is the half life of a benzo longer in an older person?

Do any f you have any solid facts about older peoples' tapers? Or the answers to the above?

Thanks for any info.

Heathcliff

Hope all who  are  having rough days will see some Windows of light real soon.

Hello over 50 buddies!

Not much happening on the long hold support group this weekend. That's where I am most of the time. But I think this support group may be good for me as well. Hope you don't mind me joining in.

Anyway, all you buddies who are here, I want to ask you a question.

First of all, I am a very young 71. Yes, a real oldie but goody, but if you saw me or knew me well, you'd now I am really like a fifty or sixty year old. But enough about that. I just didn't want anyone thinking I had one foot in the grave.

So I am down to .9 mg v from 7.5 in January 2016. I've had my tough spots alright, but I am  doing ok now, after a hold of 4 months and switching to liquid Valium and doing a modified micro taper. I am cutting .005 every 2 or 3 days with a hold when I feel it's necessary. Wdsx have been very minimal when I do it this way.

Question. .... have any of you heard that in older people the valium( or any benzo) stays in your system ( in your metabolites, whatever that is) longer than a younger person?

Is that true?

What does that mean?

Does that make it harder to get off one's benzo?

Is it harder for an older person to get off these benzos than a younger person?

What are metabolites? Is the half life of a benzo longer in an older person?

Do any f you have any solid facts about older peoples' tapers? Or the answers to the above?

Thanks for any info.

Heathcliff

Hope all who  are  having rough days will see some Windows of light real soon.

Hi young Heath  :):smitten:

I have read different things about your questions.... I think it varies so much from person to person , and also the fact that you are a young 71 makes a big difference IMO!

I don't think it will make it harder for you to get off , look how far you've come  already !

Metabolites are what the ,parent drug' diazepam turns into once processed by the liver , these are what hang around for a while in the body, they leave slowly , which is why Valium is supposed to be easier to taper , for some! It's supposed to make tapering smoother.

They will eventually all leave once you are completely off .

I was listening to Baylissa this morning , she did a live podcast on FB , and she says everyone she's seen has healed , regardless of age , very reassuring .

So don't worry , you're going to be fine with the V , and I believ you will have a smooth exit if you keep doing what you are doing .

Love, MiYu  :smitten:

Hi!!!  I am now 16 months off benzo.  I have the crawling skin problem and it is driving me crazy!! I have had it for 6 months now.  Can somebody help me!! I would really feel more at ease if I could read a sucess story about overcoming this problem!!  Thaaank You!!! Mamayu

I don't have that crawling skin problem.  I read that is a very common issue in w/d so I hope it will go away soon for you Mamay.

My issue du jour is a sore throat -- actually going on 6 weeks?  I've taken an antibiotic and on an antiviral and it is just not budging.  It gets so painful some nights I take a small amount of an rx painkiller left over from some surgery or other.  It is always something!  I am looking into forms of B12 since I have the genetic mutation problem with absorbing/using that but feel in the dark about what to do.  I feel run down with swollen glands - which makes me think its not just acid. 

Throat doc in a couple of weeks and dentist, too.  Prob a CT soon.  What the?  WBB

MiYu,

Thanks so much for your reply and your explanation of metabolites. I understand it now for the first time!

And thanks for the encouragement. This is so hard, and I know it's much harder for you.

Ijust read that you have gone back to klonopin. I hope this is the magic you are waiting for.

Bless you sweet MiYu. I hope to celebrate one day with you when you are free of all this poison.

Heath :smitten:

I am 76 yrs old. I started xanex  because I had a stroke and was very nervous the 3rd of January 2016. I have come around okay  from the stroke.  Can talk okay, and body operates okay.  Forget a few names but that's normal at my age. Was changed to Klonapin by doctor because it has longer half-life.

I have arthritis in my knees so want to have surgery as soon as I get off this klonapin.  :crazy:

You all seem young to me.

ByeKlon, you are a bad-ass !  I'm nearly 52 but I feel 62. . . I feel like my Benzo withdrawal really aged me.

You are lucky, you only used them for a relatively short time, so you should have a much easier time.

I was on Klonopin and Xanax for 25 years !

-J

Thank you, Justaman.  I take bad ass as a compliment.  I see you have jumped.  Will have a celebration when I jump. I don't feel all good but don't have it as bad as some. ;D

I'm 60!  was on this stuff for a long time... and am now tapering slowly.  It's just when I started tapering that things really went south, although I know that if I had continued on things would have become bad, so bad...

My slow taper and now hold have made things doable!  Oh the hold!

Hats off to you ByeKlon!

SS

• 1 year later...

Just thought I would bump this thread/group to see if there are others out there over 50 looking for extra support or chance to connect with others over “50”.

Best,

Sun 🌻

Hi, Bazil.

I am the “baby” (so far)at 52 😉.

I see you CT’d, how are you doing?

Best,

Sun🌻

It's okay! Recover. It's much better than it was. I try not to pay attention to the symptoms. Hold on! ☺