Author Topic: 50 and over club- withdrawal and recovery issues for the aged :-)  (Read 184890 times)

[Buddie]

Anyone 50 or over and either still tapering or post taper? I started my benzo journey in my late forties and a few years later have made much progress. Now at approximately two years off valium and [...] a few lingering issues. I suspect there are others who may have been on a benzo for longer than my journey. I took my first valium pill in 2008 but was done by end of 2009. The rest has been an interesting ride. Anyone else out there either about to turn 50 or reached the milestone and what have been some of your experiences? [...]
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 12:45:05 pm by [Buddie] »
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: Over 50 club- withdrawal and recovery
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:11:38 pm »
startedmy benzo nightmare at 50
didn'yt know what they where and i was put on them in er
despite me explaining an addiction personality
what was blamed on anxiety was thyrodisim due to an infection
now turnecd 53 have lost 3 yrs of life as i made 2 previous attempts following bad advice 1 jumped at 1mg clonazapam, then .25 mg spent days in er 40 visits and specalist,test,bloodwork
xrays,mri,i am now 25 days off in agony
extreme weight loss,head pressure,weakness dizzyness,food intolerances,
nerve pain,temp changes,muscle weakness and sensations
can;t stand without getting dizzy
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

Re: 50 and over club- withdrawal and recovery
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:41:20 pm »
I am 49 John, 50 this year, do I get to join the club?  :yippee:

[Buddie]

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 11:43:41 pm »
I am 55, so I am definately in the Club!  :-)

[Buddie]

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:43:56 pm »
Same here, H.

[Buddie]

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:56:30 pm »
I'm in the over 50 club.  I was first put on benzos in 1998 so for me it has been a long time.  I [...] started tapering in Jan. of this year as I was clueless.  I have to [...] stupid slow due to other underlying health issues and a very bad experience trying to get off once a couple years ago. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:04:22 am »
 :)  Hi, 53 at the end of this month.........think I fit in.....thanks for the idea for the club  :yippee:

[Buddie]

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:11:49 am »
Count me in too!  Even though I was on benzos a short time, I think withdrawal is a little more difficult for those of us over 50.

[Buddie]

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:13:53 am »
Yep, us old fogies must stick together :pokey: :laugh:.   I was one who came to the benzo later, [...] a few years ago.  I imagine if you're 50 or older, there's a chance that some may have been on them for a decade or more.  And yes, we might be prone to other health issues by the time you've reached your fifth decade.  I was kind of shocked when I got Shingles [...] five weeks after my taper ended and not even 50.  Yet my doctor told me it's no longer an illness of the older crowd, that it's about stress and even many college students are getting it now, burning the candle at both ends I suppose.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:14:20 am »
I am 49 John, 50 this year, do I get to join the club?  :yippee:

Ok H, we'[...] let you in early but you have to promise you'[...] be off your benzo by 50 :pokey: :)

V