Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Private Rehab Center - Rapid Tapering from Diazepam

[...]

Sorry KD for the way this transpired I hope you understand it was truly out of Concern for you..

~Jenny

Jenny,

I know, and I know you've been supportive in doing so as well, I thank you for all of your advice and concerns, and support. Sorry to hear you are having a bad day. :(

Good Vibes heading your way. :smitten:

Peace, KD

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ch...]

• [...]

• [...]

• [KR...]

[06...]

KD  feel the love everyone is looking out for you. 

Everything is going to be alright eventually thats how im looking at it.  I dont know how long this journey takes im bloody impatient though Ill tell you.  Make sure you let us know when you are going in and ill send some healing vibes across the ocean to you.

Im doing ok ill leave it at that.

Lizzy

Eljay...

Your right I was RUDE ... For that I apologize. I have never been Rude to anyone here not ever.

But having someone come on here with a God Complex and telling Us when Enough is Enough is More then Rude. Its Disrespectful .

Please Jenny, enough.

And if I'm not mistaken ..I think you just Thanked her for it? I could have read that wrong.

Yes, I thanked her, because she was making a reasonable request by suggesting it was time to back off and leave him to his decision. She shouldn't be attacked for posting her opinions. She was trying to help KD90, just as you were.

This is really a re-post from my substitutional taper thread, but is probably now more relevant to this new board,

Hello KD

I am currently 3 days away from my c/o from Xanax (2mg) nightly to Valium (40mg) and was going to begin substitutional tapering from Diazepam, with support from my family and friends, and hopefully a supportive Dr.

If I understand correctly (according your above comments and your present signature line), you have switched, in a single step, from 2mg Xanax to 40mg Valium - is that right? And, you did this very recently? How are you feeling?

My parents have decided that they would rather send me to a Private Rehab Facility in South Africa (due to my older previous substance abuse as well) for a rapid taper - I am not sure how quickly the plan on reducing the doses, this is one of my most important questions I am going to be asking - (meaning I could be looking at some severe acute protracted w/ds ahead of me :() and then after care for a further 3 months if necessary...

I'm going to be speaking to the center on Weds so I will see about their procedures (I have tonnes of questions written down to ask) as they want to rapid taper me over 3 months (eeeeeek!!) and if they plan on c/t or I'm not happy with any of the procedures then even if it causes family issues I'm going to refuse.

I think it wise to ask as many questions as possible ahead of time.

I've read (skimmed to some degree) all the posts in this thread, but it seems few of those responding to you have acknowledged that this is probably best described as an 'accelerated taper', not a cold turkey or rapid withdrawal. You, though, seem to understand the distinction.

I hope it doesn't as I'm really close with my Mother and she is probably my main support line, but I am not prepared to handle my BZD w/ds in any way I don't feel comfortable...

Ultimately, you are in charge of your own body. We all have the right to make informed decisions regarding our medical care. I understand that you have potential relationship problems with your family about the decisions you make regarding your withdrawal. I suggest that you try to make your family better understand the potential problems. Ultimately, you will weigh up all the issues involved, but I suggest that you try to prioritise what is best for you.

I have had a look at the Facility, and they have several Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Addiction Counsellors and Nurses available (but I guess this is a standard for most facilities). It tends to take a Holistic approach, which I am pleased to see, including activities such as Yoga, Meditation, Massage and various other activities (including Forest Walks - if I can even walk :P - and other things). However they follow the Minnesota method, and the 12 steps of AA/DA which I'm not really 100% comfortable with.

I think a 12-step approach for most of our members is probably inappropriate (many have posted similar thoughts), since most members here have been prescribed and  taken their benzodiazepines as instructed by their doctor. However, in cases of drug abuse, a 12-step type program might be appropriate - this would be something for you decide upon. But, from the sounds of it, it is not a deal-breaker for you anyway.

I'm really disappointed my family wouldn't even give the Ashton Method a chance, as there is a chance raper tapering could permanently damage or cause long term damage to my GABA receptors, and could lead to rebound Insomnia and rebound Anxiety...

I don't altogether dismiss the option of people attending a detox centre (though, from your description, you will not be 'detoxing'). In cases of drug abuse, maybe it is the only way off for some. The problem is, (unlike detoxification from other drugs), the craving can persist for a very long time after the last dose. As you know, after regular and protracted use, a high percentage of people (but far from all) require (many) months for their brain to adjust to the absence of benzodiazepines. So, a cold turkey withdrawal often results in reinstatement, as the dramatic and very difficult withdrawal symptoms carry on, day after day, week after week, or even month after month. Unless you've gone through this before, there is no way of knowing how you would react to such a withdrawal. But, again, you are not proposing a cold turkey, or even a rapid taper. On the basis of what you have written, it seems to me that a three-month taper from 40mg Valium is not a totally unreasonable option, given your acknowledged abuse of benzodiazepines. At the same time, you need to understand that a three month taper might still be too fast for you. For comparison (not that we should draw direct comparisons, and I did not abuse Clonazepam), I could not manage six week tapers off 4.5mg Clonazepam (equivalent to about 4.5mg Xanax), but I did just about manage to quit when I followed a six-month taper. But afterwards, I did experience a very difficult 4-5 months, and lesser protracted withdrawal symptoms after that.

My experience is my own - yours is likely to be very different to mine, no matter what withdrawal regimen you follow. I liked the flexibility to manage my own taper, but this might be a very poor choice for you. I come back to my earlier comment: do what is best for you.

The last thing I want is to relapse when I get back home, but in some cases some of the Private Rehab's try and make it sound like the best way, because I think that they could just want your money, and my Mom hasn't as of yet even consulted a Medical Professional (she will be seeing my Dr on Tuesday to ask her opinion) so we will see.

Certainly, they are in it for a profit. And, it seems that rapid detox would be inappropriate for most of our members . However, you are not most people, and you don't propose a rapid detox.

I'm just feeling a bit down about it because I know more about BZD w/ds than my family and I think they are rushing in too fast without even considering trying the Ashton Method (which I have provided them with the Manual though I'm not sure HOW much they have read of it) for a couple of months :(

If you are not drinking or taking other respiratory suppressing substances, I don't understand the 'urgency' either. Certainly, it would be better to quit abusing benzodiazepines sooner rather than later, but you deserve to have enough time to properly take this decision for yourself. Though, neither am I giving you a 'green light' to continue to abuse benzodiazepines.

While it would be nice to go somewhere new I'm not going to be able explore due to procedures and schedules of the facility and my probably intense withdrawals... *sigh*

I guess I'm unsure of how this program will operate. Will you be there for the whole three months?

I dont even know if I'll be allowed to access the internet over their to get support from Benzo Buddies :( :(

You'll have to ask them. Three months without communication with the outside world is long time, but they might have good reasons for restricting access to the Internet.

I guess I'll have more answers Weds and will keep you all updated.

I'd like to hear opinion's from other Buddies and any Buddies that have gone to Private Rehab Centers or Hospitals and their success rates...

Take Care, KD90 :)

Just to be clear about this, I am not 'pro' you detoxing, it is just that I think that there needed to be some balance injected to this discussion. If you had been proposing a 'detox', I probably would be in more agreement with many of the other posters (although, I try to be as objective as possible). The thing to remember is that those who have responded most negatively, are almost universally speaking from a terrible personal experience. Their experience is totally valid, but their situation is not your situation, and their body is not yours. Those that have withdrawn rapidly are unlikely to contact us about how smoothly it went for them - this distorts the picture.

Please read the following: Guidelines for this board

And: Provision of facilities - Ashton Manual

I'm sure Ashton has written more in-depth about detox facilities, but I cannot find a resource at this time (perhaps someone else will find a link). The referenced passage from Ashton is about rapid detox - I think the distinction is clear enough.

Colin.

[82...]

Colin,

Thank you so much for stepping in here and injecting some sanity into this issue. I have sat here stunned at some of this dialogue. Firstly the completely over the top scare tactics, followed by insults to people trying to bring back some human comfort and sense of reason. People being told they have no right to make a sane comment!

My motherly instinct made me want to reach out to this boy (man - I know - but I have 4 kids older than him). As you said, Colin, he is NOT contemplating doing a C/T and I'm sure his parents love him and are worried sick and trying to do the best they can for him.

This forum is a SUPPORT forum. I am 60 (shudder) and a couple of these posts would have rendered me a mess. I am widely read, university educated and sceptical about all I read but I would still have been turned into a mess reading some of this stuff. This young man needs facts, not bullying into anything.

I'm sorry if any of this mess has been caused due to posts that I have started, all I wanted was experiences, advice and support, and you've all done that in your different ways, I didn't meant to cause a BB argument :(

KD: PLEASE don't be sorry. You are the one who should be getting apologies. Don't worry about causing arguments. It's easy to do here. I wanted to weigh in earlier to try to give you some comfort but  even I have been silenced by vitriol in the past. I once offered support for someone who seemed like he was considering suicide and was branded 'toxic' (luckily not by someone I respected).

Just read Colin's post (a few times). I think he has it nailed.

Just to describe where I am coming from: I've just finished a year of tapering off 4-5mg Xanax down to 1.25mg Valium. Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the beginning of my 3 day stay in a private psych hospital. I have seen the same psychiatrist every fortnight for the last year. 3 days ago I decided my life was not worth living like this and I have started using Xanax (1mg per day) again. It seems that a slow taper does not always work either.

I am very grateful that BB allows people who have seemingly 'failed' to remain and gain support from the friends they have made here. Another forum I was on, which folded, did not allow this. Maybe I will gain strength to try again. Maybe I will just keep taking low doses of Xanax forever. I don't know. I feel disappointed because I like to win life's battles. But I feel better than I've felt in a year. I would hate for any of my children to ever take benzos.

Once again, thank you Colin.

KD: I wish you success in whichever way you choose. You have your whole life ahead of you. Live it!

Xana  :smitten:

Whatever! Give me a break. Good luck KD. You will be just fine as eljay, skyy, xana, and your other protectors are pointing out. Be sure to PM them when you get out and let them know how your doing.  :thumbsup:

[06...]

Guys please please this is stressing a turkey out.  Lets just all get back on track.  I get very upset seeing people arguing on here.  Its about SUPPORT and as someone has said not just us members are reading this anyone has access to the forum and I would hate for them to think we usually carried on like this because we constantly offer others in need support as I think KD has found.

KD Im only ten days out and I can literally feel myself healing I never thought I would.  Every day is difficult but I can see light now when there was none.  Im glad to be off the stuff and you will be to.

Lizzy

Hi KD,  just wanted to let you know I was thinking about you.

I detoxed,  I healed and I am doing well.

There are many ways to get off benzos.  YOu will find you way just like we all do and you will be okay.

I thought I was doomed too,  I wasn't. 

I am very grateful that BB allows people who have seemingly 'failed' to remain and gain support from the friends they have made here. Another forum I was on, which folded, did not allow this. Maybe I will gain strength to try again. Maybe I will just keep taking low doses of Xanax forever. I don't know. I feel disappointed because I like to win life's battles. But I feel better than I've felt in a year. I would hate for any of my children to ever take benzos.

Of course, you have not 'failed'. You decided that taking a low dose of Xanax is the best option for you. If you were of the mindset that you were absolutely determined to permanently quit benzodiazepines, I might try to discourage you from taking Xanax now, as this would make your goal more difficult. However, you have weighed up your situation and options, and have decided that reinstatement best suits you. You know how you feel when taking benzodiazepines, and you know how you feel when experiencing protracted withdrawal symptoms. It seems to me that you are making a very informed decision - this is as it should be.

Once again, thank you Colin.

No problem, thank you, and good luck, Xana.

Edit: typo.

Hi everyone, I think if there is ever a time to be graphic and brutally honest is BEFORE a buddy goes to detox. I am not surprised this thread got a little heated...everytime somebody posts with thoughts of going this way this happens. There was a buddy last year named genuine honest...he posted he couldn't taper anymore and that he intended to go to a very nice facility in Australia...he was sure things couldn't get anyworse...several of us tried to talk him out of it...but he went...he left early and reinstated. He did not fail...he just didn't know what he didn't know. Imo no one can know unless they have been thru a rough ct like Chris, Jenny, Krock and myself...I know firsthand that all cts are different...I have done it 3 times before and it wasn't bad at all...this last time over 2 years ago was a million times worse...and I'm not healed yet...so I understand why some of us have posted with so much passion...we want to use are experience to prevent others from following in our shoes...and supporting those who unfortunately have. Ct/detox is serious risky business. I think what the previous posters were doing was like taking people convicted of DUI to the morgue, or taking at risk juveniles to prison programs. What all of us want to do is prevent unnecessary suffering. I certainly wish the op the best.

Hey KD,

I know I got a bit worked up on your thread. I do admit, my advice is based off of an extreme experience from detox, but Colin is right, an accelerated taper is somewhat different. I am not sure exactly how much different because I have never experienced it. I have seen many people in bad shape after accelerated tapers, but there are people who have had success both with accelerated tapers and detox.  I was merely trying to discourage you from going down a path that could very well end up causing you more pain and misery. However, I am findiing that my symptoms from w/d still affect my behaviors in kind of a PTSD kinda way. I can still see the horror of the last 27 months of my life as a result of coming off benzos way too fast. It's that same horror that puts these awful images in my mind that get me to react quite intensely to others that may be going down a similar path, but I know that not everyone had this experience.

Ya see, my heart still pounds and my adrenaline still pumps, muscles still twist and pull ( I could go on), etc. etc. So... If I even see someone going to a detox center my mind (which is already in high gear most days) kicks up to crisis mode.

Colin has injected some rational thinking here though. He seems to have thoroughly and logically answered your question from your original post.

It was not my intent to have this turn into a Beyond ThunderDome Battle to the death.  I am beginning to see that I am not fit to give support. I have felt bad for not being able to help others by giving support so I have tried here lately to chime in., but I am seeing that I am just not ready for it yet. I just wanted to apologize for contributing to this circus that has erupted on your thread. Maybe I need another few months or ever a year before I can offer sound rational advice that isn't fueled by my emotions and the lasting effects of benzo w/d.

I really hope that things work out for you. I do know how it feels to have no other choice in going to detox. It does sound like you have thought this through and know what your options are. Like I said before...BB will be here for you either way. Take care KD.  :hug:

Chrisw

[06...]

Chris

Just adding this for interest for you.  As you are probably aware this is only my third night home from hospital.  In there I met someone who had been for 19 years on extremely large doses of benzos she was taken off in the hospital over a four week period.  I saw her when she left she felt better than she had felt in her whole life.  Was so amazing seems like some people do this I mean I know they do have spoken to so many doctors about this to. 

Just thought I would tell you this and NO EVERYONE IM NOT CONDONING IT just sharing thats all.

Lizzy

My experience is my own - yours is likely to be very different to mine, no matter what withdrawal regimen you follow. I liked the flexibility to manage my own taper, but this might be a very poor choice for you. I come back to my earlier comment: do what is best for you.

This part stood out to me. Actually all the parts.

I did a C/T and returned to work, after taking a little time off. Very few people can do this, but I managed to go back and work.

Maybe my symptoms were not as extreme as others?

There have been members here who reinstated and later say, they wish they didn't, but others who reinstated and were able to taper off just fine. I posted a question about reinstating myself, but after discussing it with others, I didn't reinstate. Who knows if it may have helped me at the time? But even those who didn't agree with me, still respected my decision. Everyone here deserves respect, for just trying to get off this medication and start their road to recovery.

We are all unique when it comes to this. All we can do is share our opinions and experience as they related to us and try to give support when we can. Remember, the person on the other side of the monitor is just as confused and hurting as we all were(are).

Good luck To you KD,

Mike

Krock,

Your comments are detrimental to the person that this thread is meant to help.  Please refrain from further sarcastic comments.

Enough has been said, its time to leave it alone.

pianogirl

Whatever! Give me a break. Good luck KD. You will be just fine as eljay, skyy, xana, and your other protectors are pointing out. Be sure to PM them when you get out and let them know how your doing.  :thumbsup:

KD,

I'm trying to think of the best way to prepare for this.  If all goes well, you really don't need a lot of preparation. If it doesn't go well, that's when your plan is to come into play.

Here is some advice, take it or leave it, you won't offend me.

Find out how quickly they will withdraw you from the medication. 40 milligrams in 90 days is almost 1 milligrams every other day, over the span of 2 to 3 weeks that is almost 5 to 10 milligrams of Valium.  According to the definitions set out in the forum, that could be considered a rapid taper if that is all you were taking. The definitions give a timeline of withdrawal from the medication, but not a rate of dosage reduction. 

Once you have determined the rate of reduction, why not try it at home for a couple of weeks. Since Valium has such a long half life, it probably won't affect you right away. If the half-life of Valium is 200 hours, it means that after 200 hours, only half of the Valium that you reduced has left your body. After about a month, most of the last of your dose reduction has left your body.  If you run into trouble, it's easy to updose back to your original dosage.

Doing this test could be very empowering.  If you are lucky, it will be easy. We cannot be unlucky at all times, we have to get lucky some of the time.  It might be your turn.  I have seen some people on the forum on large quantities of benzodiazepines come off rapidly and easily.

Other things that you might do to prepare is to have a plan for what happens if it is too difficult for you to taper according to the set schedule. That would be a good question to ask them. What is their plan B. Are they affiliated with a psychiatric unit. If they transfer you to the psychiatric unit, they will want you to add additional medication. They will want to put you on antidepressant and possibly antipsychotic. What are your choices? Is there an antidepressant that you trust more than the others. Can you refuse to take more than one medication at a time.  Taking any psychiatric medication at one time is very confusing, taking several at a time is a bit of a trap, you have absolutely no way of knowing what medication is causing which side effect. It is very confusing.  Can you request that they not have more than one medication every few weeks to see if it is effective.

Are there crisis lines in your area, can you write their phone numbers down so that you have them handy. Are there friends that you can call, get their phone numbers handy as well. Getting relaxation tapes ahead of time might be a good idea, it may not be something that you have ever done in your life before, but they can be remarkably soothing when you're on the verge of panic.

Finding out whether you can bring a laptop or whether they have Internet access at the hospital would be useful. Do they allow phones? Can you bring in a phone if it doesn't have a camera  (if they exist).  Do they allow music, can you bring an iPod.  Is your Internet access and computer up to snuff for when you get out of the hospital.  What are the visiting hours, can you line up some friends to come and visit you, if you want them to.

You probably won't feel like going to the dentist or any other appointment. Can you do any of those ahead of time? Will you have to renew your driver's license anytime soon?  You probably won't feel like shopping afterwards, is there anything that you need to have before going to the hospital.  Do you have special foods that you want to stock up on.

You may want to start a journal.

When you get to the hospital or the detox or whatever they're calling it, they are going to take down your psychiatric history. They're going to ask you many many questions regarding every aspect of your life. There are no genetic markers for psychiatric illnesses, the only way they can tell what you have is by you telling them. Once you come off the medication and you have symptoms, it is very easy for them to tell you that you are experiencing a return of your underlying conditions. If you are an addict, you may not have any underlying conditions. You do not have depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, social phobias, agoraphobia.  If you tell them that you have even a hint of any of those things, they will write it down as a predisposition for psychiatric illnesses.  They will ask whether anybody in your family has ever had any of those things, unless you want to open up a Pandora's box, stay as neutral as you can. "I don't know' or"I don't think so" is a really good answer. Do not let them diagnose you with something you haven't got. 

They will write down everything you say and do, according to their own filter. If they give you PRN medications, and you ask for it, they may interpret that as seeking drugs behavior.  If you do not take the medication, they will say that you are refusing treatment regardless of the side effects you are having.  If you are having side effects from the medication, don't mince your words.  Take your own notes. This sounds a little paranoid, but if you could record the sessions, that would be useful for later if it doesn't work out. I don't think they can refuse you the privilege. Of course, if it goes well for you, that is a nonissue and you can erase the recordings later on.  Ask to review the written notes after each session, I reviewed my notes after I left the hospital, and was absolutely horrified at the interpretations they made of what I was saying, and the slant they put on it to protect themselves. 

If you are having issues whatever they may be, write them down and give it to them in writing. They can interpret your words, but they cannot change your written notes.

Please don't rush the hospital, and go in when you're ready. Keep us posted if you want to.  We are on your side whatever you decide.

KD,

Will be thinking of you and wishing you the best, whatever your decision may be. 

Know that we are here for you!

To all:

Even though this subject has gotten heated responses, it shows the powerful caring, support and openness that defines this forum.

Challishttp://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo29/pigletmph/zadiffgrouphug.gif

Hello KD

If I understand correctly (according your above comments and your present signature line), you have switched, in a single step, from 2mg Xanax to 40mg Valium - is that right? And, you did this very recently? How are you feeling?

If by step, you mean 8 days (so practically a week) then yes :) I feel slightly more sedated, harder to get up in the morning, but less frequent waking up in the middle of the night (which could have been due to interdose withdrawal of Xanax) but due to a tolerance of Valium, it just makes me feel normal to be honest. I still go to work in the day time, to my highly stressful office job, and I still have Insomnia.

I think it wise to ask as many questions as possible ahead of time.

I've read (skimmed to some degree) all the posts in this thread, but it seems few of those responding to you have acknowledged that this is probably best described as an 'accelerated taper', not a cold turkey or rapid withdrawal. You, though, seem to understand the distinction.

I have finally had a response from the Dr at the clinic and it will indeed be a rapid taper/detox from BZD's, he will be decreasing my dose by between 2.5-5mg's daily depending on how badly I withdraw. I will also be supplemented to sleep with low doses of Quetiapine (Seroquel) - which I'm not majorly pleased about but at low doses the Antipsychotic action is hardly noticeable - and Hydroxyzine which is a 1st Gen Antihistamine and from what I know it acts in the same way as the Antihistamine I take at the moment Promethazine, but is slightly more potent with it's sedative effects.

Ultimately, you are in charge of your own body. We all have the right to make informed decisions regarding our medical care. I understand that you have potential relationship problems with your family about the decisions you make regarding your withdrawal. I suggest that you try to make your family better understand the potential problems. Ultimately, you will weigh up all the issues involved, but I suggest that you try to prioritise what is best for you.

I know you said you only skimmed the topic, which is completely fair enough considering how many posts their have been :P I'm pretty sure I explained that I have tried my BEST and provided as much information and got in contact with as many medical professionals as I could to try and sway my parents, but it's either try this first, and move from there, or cause serious family issues. As it is myself and NOT the Dr's who have not got me into this position, In my eyes, I owe it to them to try their way, regardless of the pain that it may cause me.

Or who know's, as ld1 have posted, and BYBYMatrix, some people do occasionally come out of this successfully and can begin to heal.

I think a 12-step approach for most of our members is probably inappropriate (many have posted similar thoughts), since most members here have been prescribed and  taken their benzodiazepines as instructed by their doctor. However, in cases of drug abuse, a 12-step type program might be appropriate - this would be something for you decide upon. But, from the sounds of it, it is not a deal-breaker for you anyway.

I need to learn to cope throughout life without substance abuse, so I do think this could be a good thing, and truly hope (though am not thoroughly convinced, that it will change my mindset on Drugs).

I don't altogether dismiss the option of people attending a detox centre (though, from your description, you will not be 'detoxing'). In cases of drug abuse, maybe it is the only way off for some. The problem is, (unlike detoxification from other drugs), the craving can persist for a very long time after the last dose. As you know, after regular and protracted use, a high percentage of people (but far from all) require (many) months for their brain to adjust to the absence of benzodiazepines. So, a cold turkey withdrawal often results in reinstatement, as the dramatic and very difficult withdrawal symptoms carry on, day after day, week after week, or even month after month. Unless you've gone through this before, there is no way of knowing how you would react to such a withdrawal. But, again, you are not proposing a cold turkey, or even a rapid taper. On the basis of what you have written, it seems to me that a three-month taper from 40mg Valium is not a totally unreasonable option, given your acknowledged abuse of benzodiazepines. At the same time, you need to understand that a three month taper might still be too fast for you. For comparison (not that we should draw direct comparisons, and I did not abuse Clonazepam), I could not manage six week tapers off 4.5mg Clonazepam (equivalent to about 4.5mg Xanax), but I did just about manage to quit when I followed a six-month taper. But afterwards, I did experience a very difficult 4-5 months, and lesser protracted withdrawal symptoms after that.

As I said in the original post, I was unsure, but I am now informing not just you, but everyone thats taken interest in me and supported me throught this thread: that it is not a 3 month taper, it is a 28 day detox/rapid taper with cuts of between 2.5-5mgs Diazepam daily, with 2 months after-care (from what I gather without ANY Benzos, perhaps still the Hydroxyzine and Quetiapine.

If you are not drinking or taking other respiratory suppressing substances, I don't understand the 'urgency' either. Certainly, it would be better to quit abusing benzodiazepines sooner rather than later, but you deserve to have enough time to properly take this decision for yourself. Though, neither am I giving you a 'green light' to continue to abuse benzodiazepines.

I guess I'm unsure of how this program will operate. Will you be there for the whole three months?

They are urgent due to other family issues, and due to past instances of poly-drug use and them thinking that I'm going to go off on a mad one, which I could do for all I know, I can be very volatile :/.

Again the below will answer a lot of people's question's:

Basically it's a 3-6 month program, depending on how much you pay (obviously ¬¬). The first month is detox/tapering with daily psychotherapy, dieticians, addiction counselling, general health monitoring. Then the next two months are holistic classes such as meditation, yoga, spirituality, massage and obviously daily psychotherapy and counselling. If you choose the extra 3 months, it's basically a continuation of the second stage, but less intense, you are allowed more freedom to explore the location, and can do volunteer work to help the community. I am allowed internet access during the secondary stage.

Just to be clear about this, I am not 'pro' you detoxing, it is just that I think that there needed to be some balance injected to this discussion. If you had been proposing a 'detox', I probably would be in more agreement with many of the other posters (although, I try to be as objective as possible). The thing to remember is that those who have responded most negatively, are almost universally speaking from a terrible personal experience. Their experience is totally valid, but their situation is not your situation, and their body is not yours. Those that have withdrawn rapidly are unlikely to contact us about how smoothly it went for them - this distorts the picture.

Please read the following: Guidelines for this board

And: Provision of facilities - Ashton Manual

I'm sure Ashton has written more in-depth about detox facilities, but I cannot find a resource at this time (perhaps someone else will find a link). The referenced passage from Ashton is about rapid detox - I think the distinction is clear enough.

Colin.

I have read the Ashton Manual, multiple time's, I know what I'm in store for - you must all think I'm insane, which I can understand.

Colin, thanks for all the un-biased questions and as others have said, creating some balance in this thread. I wish I had more time to thank you but I am actually drafting this post at work, and need to get back to it. So, sincerest thanks :thumbsup:

Everyone else, I will try and reply to and indiviual questions later, and thanks for the responses!

Peace & Hugs, KD :smitten:

KD.. most of these people posting to this thread have NEVER even been to a detox center. Take what they say with a grain of salt. That goes for the admins and mods that never went this route either. They have NO clue what really goes down in these places. Anything they say is hear say. They don't KNOW. If I were you I would warm up to the people that have gone into detox centers/rehabs or did cold turkeys. You will get a lot better info than from some of these other people that have NO idea what their talking about. Sorry to be so frank. But its the truth. Good luck my man.

[92...]

"I know what I'm in store for"

I am so sorry to tell you KD, but you do not have a clue what is in store for you, or you would not even be considering this potentially life wrecking scenario. 

Polenta

Krock, and anyone else unfamiliar with these issues, I suggest that you read the following:

Sampling Bias

And:

Self-selection Bias

The subject of our members belonging to a 'self-selecting group' was covered in this thread:

Online Support....Can it make things worse?

KD: The shorter your taper, the more likely you are to experience intolerable protracted withdrawal symptoms, and end up reinstating. I cannot offer any numbers for your one-month withdrawal regimen, but the failure rate for 'rapid detox' (a taper lasting a few days, or a week or two) is very high. If memory serves, Ashton suggests that the failure rate for those following a 'rapid detox' might be as high as 90%. However, I understand that the 'failure rate' is very high for whatever drug is withdrawn through a detox centre. But, on more positive note, beyond any withdrawal syndrome period that might be experienced, as far as I know, there is no life-long craving as often manifests after abuse of alcohol or opiates. You also need to take into account that you have 'abused' benzodiazepines - this does make a difference in the approach you might need to adopt to quit.

If at all possible, I would generally strongly discourage cold turkey or rapid withdrawal from benzodiazepines. This does not equate to a 'blanket statement' by me. I ask you: have you attempted to follow a controlled withdrawal of benzodiazepines, cutting, say, about 10% of your dose every 1-2 weeks? Could you live with your parents while you do this? The withdrawal would be free, so there would be no 'guilt' about the 'wasted' money by attending the detox centre. And, of course, trying to follow your own schedule would not preclude you from attending the centre later, if need be.

Do your parents understand that you are more likely to succeed if you are the one to decide to withdraw and are happy with what you are doing? I understand their attitude about you attending a specialist centre, but are they aware of the high failure rates associated such an approach?

Please understand, I am not saying you will fail. It is just that many people misunderstand the very patchy results associated with attending detox facilities. Many of my words here are intended for your parents too. They, of course, will be very concerned and wish to do their best by you. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best.

Take care,

Colin.