Best withdrawal rate to restore normal GABA receptor function?

[zo...]

Prof Ashton's recommendations for tapering aim for a rate of reduction of approx 1mg Valium per week. I presume this rate is chosen mainly because it minimizes adverse effects. 

However, if I cope with the adverse effects of a faster withdrawal then will I speed up the restoration of normal function in my GABA receptors?

I ask this because I presume there is a maximum rate at which normal GABA reception function can be restored. In other words, speeding up a rapid withdrawal may not have any greater beneficial effect if it is done faster than a certain rate.

Can anyone comment on this and give me any suggestions about to what rate to try.  Thank you!

-zoner

I think the best guide to how rapidly one is healing and rebuilding a healthy nervous system is one's symptoms.  If they ramp up, I take it as a sign that I'm cutting faster than my body can keep up with the healing.  When I stop cutting and hold for a while I always feel better (sometimes it takes a few weeks, it's taken up to six weeks a couple of times).  I take feeling better as a sign that my healing has caught up and it's okay to start tapering again.

Do be aware that with Valium there is a long "lag time" effect so that cuts are usually not felt for at least a week and generally more like a couple of weeks.  So you don't want to cut too fast and get ahead of yourself and have them suddenly catch up with you.

This topic might thrive better under the Tapering section since it's about how to taper, not really about CT or rehab.  You may get more replies there.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you're not just healing your GABA receptors; benzos have a complex set of effects and there are other things that have to heal too--overactive adrenals, screwed up digestion, etc.