dry mouth

hi i have been cutting .2 every 4 weeks on liquid diazepam since dec 2011 now on 3.2 mgs  i take 1.6 in the day and 1.6 at night

but i have been waking up in morning with very dry mouth and nausea dr gave me some nausea tablets but hasnt done anything still nausea is dry mouth and nausea normal, i was not getting dry mouth and nausea when i was on the tablets.

any advise would be grateful

Terry :)

Hi Terry.

Dry mouth and nausea can be symptoms but can also be dehydration.  Are you drinking enough water, gatorade...?  Also, do you take the liquid valium on an empty stomach? Some prefer to have a cracker or light snack before taking the liquid valium.  I had vertigo/dizziness after abruptly c/t valium back in 2008.  I had been on bonine (similar to dramamine plus the valium).  The reason I was on dramamine was because I had been on a cruise that summer. I went to an ER doc a few weeks after the cruise and stopping both medications.  He prescribed an anti nausea medication called anti vert.  An ENT later told me that it wouldn't do anything for the vertigo/dizzies, only help if I had nausea, which I did not.    I tried to avoid pills if I could back then. I did try the anti vert but it didn't help me.  I don't think I had nausea in the year I tapered, but I did have other GI symptoms which can be common.

Have you read the Ashton Manual?  There are a whole bunch of potential side effects from withdrawal and if I'm not mistaken, dry mouth and nausea might be on that list.  It doesn't mean you'll have them all throughout your taper though.  By the way, I think you could increase the taper speed a little.  At this rate, I think it would take you another year to finish which is not necessarily a "bad thing" but if you wanted to go a little faster, I think you could hold 2-3 weeks between cuts instead of 4 and be fine.  You can always slow it down if you need to.

Best,

Vertigo

Hello Terry,

Dry Mouth

Dry mouth robs your mouth of saliva, which is your protection against cavities. Dentists are aware that many medications cause dry mouth. They may not be aware that benzodiazepines are one of those causes. Here are the references:

“Benzo-Wise, A Recovery Companion” by Bliss Johns, 2010

Symptoms from A to Z

Dry mouth: mouth dry and feeling as if no saliva

“The Accidental Addict” by Di Porritt & Di Russell, 2006

Mouth and Tongue

Many people have too much saliva and are continually wiping the corners of their mouths – whereas others suffer from dry mouths.  A few unfortunates have both.

So, here is what my dentist recommended for dry mouth. He gave me Salese lozenges. He let me know they can also be ordered online at their website, Nuvora.com.  He also recommended  Biotene  Dry Mouth Oral Rinse.  In addition, my dentist prescribed home fluoride treatment. I use 1.1% neutral sodium fluoride gel. He also gave me the option of using prescription fluoride toothpaste.

I also use Sensitive toothpaste.

I have found that following this advice has reduced my dental pain, strengthened my teeth, and to date, I have no cavities.

I hope this is helpful,

Summer