Respiratory Problem - Very Scared!

I am having some sort of respiratory problem and am very frightened!

My right lung hurts, I am coughing and coughing up mucous, and wheezing and very fatigued.

I went to the pulmonolgist today to have a chest x-ray and breathing test and get the results Wed.  So scared.

I know that most lung issues are dealt with through steroids and inhalers, however everything I have read here on BB says they are very bad to take for us.

I am wondering what the heck I can do here.  And how do I tell this doctor about the benzo w/d and no steroid use if that is what is needed without her thinking I'm a nut.

Thanks so much

I do hope your breathing improves, Tink.  I had bronchitis (not that you do) a couple of years ago.  I was still on Klonopin and they gave me Prednisone.  It cleared it up in a day or two.  I had to go to the emergency room because I couldn't stop coughing and my phlegm was greenish (a sign of a possible infection).  My lungs were also starting to burn from so much coughing and I couldn't get to sleep.  I'm glad I went and I had absolutely no problems between Prednisone and Klonopin.

If they do give you something, just try and avoid the fluoroquinolones (e.g., Cipro).  As someone once said, "If you can't breathe, then nothing else matters".  I think your lung issue needs to be resolved at this point, even if you have to go to the ER (hopefully you won't have to).

At any rate, that's my experience.

Blessings to you...

Sincerely,

fg

Tink,

By the way, I have also used my rescue inhaler (Albuterol Sulfate) and have never had any issues between that and Klonopin.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

fg

Hi FG,

I have used albuterol before w/d with no problem, so don't know how it will effect me now, but I do know that prednisone makes me climb the walls.  I do know about the quinolones so wont let them do that.  I dunno, this is really frightening.  :(

Tink

I can't remember, do you have asthma or have you just used the Albuterol Sulfate when you had lung infections, etc.?

Sincerely,

fg

By the way, I believe Albuterol Sulfate is a Short-acting beta2 agonist, not a corticosteroid (which is primarily used as preventive asthma inhaler).

fg

I don't have asthma, I used the albuteral for bronchitis a few times.

However I have searched here on BB and it seems almost everyone has shaking, tremors or anxiety when using it. 

Hmmm... I have never experienced that.  I was first prescribed it in 2004.  I have only had to use it sparingly, but have had no issues with it while on Klonopin the last 4 years.  However, I would tolerate shaking, etc. if I had to in order to breath.

By the way, did the doctor say that he thought there might be a bronchial infection (or something similar) in your lungs?

Sincerely,

fg

Tink,

Fishingguy gave you some really good information.  Not everyone has trouble with inhalers and your health is of utmost importance now. 

Okay thank you.  I agree.  I will need to do what is necessary.  Just very frightened.

I get the results of the x-ray tomorrow.  I hope it goes well and shows nothing significant.

Chest x-ray didn't show anything which is good.  However the doctor did say that

it could be the very beginings of Emphasima coupled with allergies.

My breath test showed a small diminish in my oxygen/carbondioxide exchange.

I am to quit smoking, and give it 6 months, come back and retest and get a check up.

I am trying to figure out how the heck I am going to quit smoking, it is so hard!

I am scared I'm going to have insomnia and panic attacks!  And it is my only coping

mechanism anymore, how am I going to cope with all of the stress I am under.

I hope this will not be too difficult for you, Tink.  At least you will be healthier in the long run.  By the way, have your respiratory issues improved at all during the last several days?

Sincerely,

fg

I hope this will not be too difficult for you, Tink.  At least you will be healthier in the long run.  By the way, have your respiratory issues improved at all during the last several days?

Sincerely,

fg

I anticipate it being pretty tough.  I have been smoking for 30 years or so, and have tried several times to quit.  It is such a way of life for me and such a coping tool.  I don't know how I will manage with the amount of stress I am under all of the time.

No things haven't changed sadly.  :(

no, the doctor told me I was basically fine and to stop smoking and come back in 6 months.

that my x-ray was fine, and the breath test was fine at 71.

Although I was told that at 71 by a friend that it is time to quit smoking while it is reversable at

this level.