Do steroids make w/d worse?

I've asked this question a few times before but never received a response and the reason I ask is I've read a few posts saying steroids can cause problems in those taking or wd from Benzos.

Another reason I ask is due to my most recent experience.  Because of my age my doctor has me on testosterone replacement and I take a shot every two weeks.  Last Tuesday I was experiencing all kinds of muscle aches/pain and joint pain....basically I hurt all over but chalked thus up to benzo wd. I also was fighting typical mental problems as well.

I took my shot at 3pm and noticed by 5pm all the aches were gone and my head cleared... felt pretty good.  This is a common reaction for men who are taking testostetone replacement and the symps are also common for men that are low on testostetone.  Here's the bad part.

Wednesday I woke up and still felt good but had this overwhelming feeling that something terrible was coming and no matter what I did could not shake that feeling.  Wed evening I got some bad news and my world came crashing down fast. Rage, anger, intrusive thoughts, crippling anxiety and severe body pain hit me like a ton of bricks. I had been wronged by someone close and despair took over.

Anyway...these feelings did not abate until late yesterday.  Now rage, anxiety and all the afore mentioned symps are also problems that can come from the use of testosterone if taken long For long periods of time and at high doses. Here is where my question comes In about testostetone making wd worse.  Does anyone think this nasty wave I'm in could be related to testostetone or was it just bad timing and the wave would have hit anyway?  Has anyone read about this in the Ashton manual?

I just found my T has dropped below normal and my Estrogen may be high.  I think this whole process just screws with our whole body.  I am thinking about replacing the hormones.  It sounds like it helps for you.  I can tell you that any amount of stress just crushes me and makes symptoms worse.  I don't think it is the hoemones if they are making you feel good at first, but stress can really hurt.  I also read that T can be converted to Estrogen and that makes you feel like hell as well.

I also had marked high estrogen levels during cut down last year (I am male) no doc could understand significance of it.

I tried prednisone (one 5mg) felt great for the rest of that day, then absolutely psychological wreck the next - did not touch them after, don't know how much of that was wd but have my suspicions, was having terrible symptoms.

Did you try anything to block the Estrogen.  It looks like you took a steriod that would increase your cortisol, which would make things worse.

I've asked this question a few times before but never received a response and the reason I ask is I've read a few posts saying steroids can cause problems in those taking or wd from Benzos.

Does anyone think this nasty wave I'm in could be related to testostetone or was it just bad timing and the wave would have hit anyway? 

Since they both act on GABA, there is a possibility you could be having an interaction.

This you should talk to your Doctor about.

Here is some information.

Benzodiazepine effects on neurosteroids

Benzodiazepines may influence neurosteroid metabolism by virtue of their actions on translocator protein (TSPO; "peripheral benzodiazepine receptor").[25] The pharmacological actions of benzodiazepines at the GABAA receptor are similar to those of neurosteroids. Factors which affect the ability of individual benzodiazepines to alter neurosteroid levels may depend upon whether the individual benzodiazepine drug interacts with TSPO. Some benzodiazepines may also inhibit neurosteroidogenic enzymes reducing neurosteroid synthesis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroactive_steroid

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15248811

Pharmacology of endogenous neuroactive steroids.

Reddy DS.

Source

Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences, North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh, North Carolina 27606, USA. samba_reddy@ncsu.edu

Abstract

Neuroactive steroids are potent endogenous neuromodulators with rapid actions in the central nervous system. Neuroactive steroids have been claimed to have specific physiological roles in normal or pathological brain function. This article reviews the emerging evidence that progesterone-, deoxycorticosterone-, and testosterone-derived endogenous neuroactive steroids play an important role in the modulation of neural excitability and brain function. Neuroactive steroids such as allopregnanolone and allotetrahydrodeoxycorticosterone (THDOC) are extremely potent positive allosteric modulators of GABAA receptors with sedative, anxiolytic, and anticonvulsant properties. The sulfated neuroactive steroids pregnenolone sulfate (PS) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate (DHEAS), which are negative GABAA receptor modulators, induce anxiogenic and proconvulsant effects. Thus, natural fluctuations in neuroactive steroid levels during the menstrual cycle and stress could affect several nervous system functions. There is strong evidence that allopregnanolone and THDOC are involved in the pathophysiology of premenstrual syndrome, catamenial epilepsy, major depression, and stress-sensitive brain disorders. Neuroactive steroids PS and DHEAS have been shown to modulate memory functions. However, the significance of the testosterone-derived neuroactive steroid 3alpha-androstanediol is not well understood. Like naturally occurring neuroactive steroids, synthetic derivatives such as ganaxolone have been proven in preclinical and clinical studies to be effective anticonvulsants with great potential for human use. Future research on inhibition or stimulation of specific neuroactive steroid synthesizing enzymes could provide an improved understanding and novel approaches for the treatment of anxiety, epilepsy, and depression.

Thanks for the replies.  Two hours after the shot I felt great....the next day was the beginning of a horrible wave that is just now starting to calm down. Im not real sure if the steroid caused this wave but this one was so bad I'm not willing to take another shot to find out.

From what Ive gathered it does seem that, at least for me, testostetone is hindering my recovery and making symptoms much worse.  I'm going to wait a month or so before taking another shot.

Hope everyone is feeling good today.

I have been on TRT, androgel for over a year. I am not sure if my T was low thus making me over anxious about certain life events, thus necesitating the Xanax, or if the Xanax caused my t to be low. There are times that I want to stop taking the testosterone and see if my body will begin to make its own again. This stuff is enough to drive one nuts.

-CL