Trazadone users: any help with anxiety?

Hey all.

Wave from hell has me speaking to my psych tomorrow. Right now, I take a very light amount of a beta blocker and use vistaril at night to sleep.  Neither upset my WD that I can tell. Both have been positive but in a minor way.

I'm trying to prep for what the doc may suggest. He'a mentioned Zoloft in the past but I fear ramped anxiety. Remuron didnt work. Bad reaction. Tried Prestiq before benzos a couple years ago. Awful reaction. He's mentioned Trazadone in the past, so I think he may again.

I'm going to try to gut this out. But, figured

I should do a little homework.

Thoughts?

(Almost 10 mos out. Had seen choppy but noted improvement and best months jan/feb. March wave came and never left, nearly as bad as acute. Doc will likely question if this could be WD. I don't know the answer, bu sure suspect it could be. )

As far as the Trazodone,- they now make extended-release trazodone which is the same product, just spread out over time to try and dispel the hangover effect.  It's called Oleptro - and even-tho it's time released, you can still break it in half at the scored part and take half (each half is enteric-coated).  My doctor mentioned it way back and I was almost prescribed it when Remeron turned out to be a fit for me. 

Maybe worth looking into Oleptro to see what you think about it to discuss with him. It's fairly new, so you may want to take any internet printout with you to discuss, although I'm sure he's probably aware of it.

Not sure if this helps or not.

:)Parker

Wow, another happy Remeron user. Wish it would have fit with me.

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!

First, if you feel worse now, much like your acute withdrawal, then what else could it be? It's weird how we forget how well we feel when benzos aren't part of the picture. I just figured everything bad was w/d, and guess what? In my case, that was true.

Secondly, trazadone is pretty safe. I tried it and about a half dozen other drugs to help me with sleep. Really didn't help me. I just pushed through.

Here's the deal with SSRIs like Zoloft. They enhance serotonin int he brain. Serotonin is a neuro chemical associated with contentment. But guess what? It has no effect that I know of on GABA. So it can be supportive.

Actually I think you're quite lucky that vistaril has helped. The beta blocker was the only thing that helped me at all.

What I have learned to do now before starting a new drug is to research it online.  See if there are any forums with people suffering from it in some way or if there are w/d issues.  If you go to google and type in "trazadone patient reviews" or similar things you will find out many opinions and see what they experienced.

good luck

Trazodone worked great for me, but caused terrible nausea.  I am now another happy Remeron use, 7.5 mg, and weaning. :)

Yram,

Well, I did have bad anxiety before benzos. But, I was on a tiny dose and felt better as I took less. (until I was done of course.) then, it all hit the fan. Worse than any time prior. So, the expected fear here is that the underlying anxiety is back and worse. Naturally, most docs are quick to embrace this theory rather than extended WD. My concern with SSRIs is that so many report ramped anxiety.

I tried one snri and it was a disaster.

Jrvmc,

When you say traz worked, do you mean for sleep or anxiety?

• 1 month later...
Bryan68, what was your bad reaction to Remeron? I tried it for about 3 weeks at 30 mg/day and I swear it gave me anxiety/panic attacks.

I was on Trazodone for sleep for several years, and it worked great.

Except that if I didn't take it, I didn't sleep. AT ALL.

Getting off the stuff was very difficult. Personally I'll never touch another sleep drug ever again.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do,

Sparrow

I'm on it and it seems to help.  I do worry about what may happen if I discontinue it.  Are there any others members that tapered off it successfully?

I've not tried remeron nor trazodone.  However, I recall when I was researching them, I read that in males, there is some potential (less common) side effect of a prolonged erection (Priapism) that might not dissipate without going to the ER and could cause permanent damage if not addresssed within some number of hours.  Just something to be aware of with Trazodone.

Vertigo