Teeth Pain

[Sc...]

I searched for tooth pain in the forum and found some good threads...but like many of us, I need to reassured more.  ???

I have so much tooth pain, and it's right sided.  Last fall I had the same thing, went to the dentist CONVINCED it was cavities and I'd need filling left right and centre...but my teeth were 100%!  Now it's happening again.  I know I clench my teeth sometimes and I've been dreaming A LOT this week, which makes me wonder if I'm clenching again.  I will book an appointment tomorrow to see him again and have a night guard made for sleeping.  I need to take care of this before I wear my teeth down.

Does anyone find they have the pain only on one side?  And what is your pain like?  Mine is this numbing burn, but also little twinges of nerve pain.  I'm just surprised it's come back...but I guess I shouldn't be surprised!  My husband said this morning, "you have to remember that it's all nerves....nerves are repairing and there are a lot of nerves in the mouth".  I just get worried that something worse is wrong that will require cavities to be filled. 

Thanks to all for listening!

All my best,

Schatje

I have had tooth pain off and on, as well as sensitivity. For instance, drinking milk causes my molars to feel really cold - like when you get an ice cream headache - but it's only milk!  I think your husband has a smart perspective - the nerves are repairing and this is probably why.  If the dentist said you're okay, you're golden. :) Honestly, if I could get rid of my d/r, I'd take a root canal in its place.  No - really. :) 

Hey Schatje

I have this... I had a mouthguard made and have been using it for 10 months now... cannot sleep without it.  It has saved my teeth and has also relieved tension in my jaw.

It IS big though in the mouth, and takes some getting used to.  Some people feel it makes them gag... I was ok with that but still have a hard time completely closing my mouth when I sleep because the mouthguard is so big...so I can sometimes get that drooling thing going on at night :laugh:  Not too sexy for my hubby, but anyway...no choice really  :laugh:

Teeth clenching and grinding can definately make mouth pain worse.

I get nerve twinges, and sore teeth like as if I had braces on that were creating a constant tension on my teeth...so my teeth feel almost loose, but they aren't...I also get a burning pain on my tongue and pallet... I actually started all of this pain BEFORE benzos... that is why I was prescribed Klonopin in the first place.... for a condition called Burning Mouth Syndrome... which is a painful nerve condition of the mouth.  In some cases, like mine, there was no cause found, so they suppose that a virus attacked my nerves and damaged them...

I know my mouth pain is probably still my condition acting up, with maybe a little w/d mixed in, I don't know...but either way, the pain is the same...and what I wanted to get across is that it IS nerve damage, either from benzos in your case, or a virus in my case...either way, there's nothing to do but wait it out, until the nerves repair themselves... or take more meds (benzos, Elavil, to ease the pain- NO WAY!)

Other causes can be dry mouth (does your mouth feel dry, not enough saliva???) - if that's the case, you can hydrate your mouth with Biotene products bought OCT in the pharmacy...they have the toothpaste, rinse, and this replenishing saliva gel thingy.... I was never able to use these as they made me gag!! Not the mouthguard go figure, but these :idiot:

Also, thyroid and vit.B12 blood tests can rule out other causes of painful mouth... which I'm sure you've had done already in benzo w/d!

I'm sure it is w/d...it is a common-common sx ...I know it is super painful...you hubby is right, tons of nerves in the mouth, and they are misfiring.

oh, another thing to check... I think you said you had been drinking lemon water? Was that you or am I confused with someone else? I personally cannot eat/drink citrus since I have mouth pain...it makes it much worse for ME... if you ARE drinking lemon water and your teeth hurt...maybe try not drinking some for a couple of days and see if there is an improvement for you or not.  Also, caffeine, chocolate, very salty foods create more mouth pain for ME...

hope any of this helps ...

edit: typo

I am raising my hand. I have this too along with jaw/mouth pain. Comes and goes.

It will pass eventually. Hang in there!

Are we having fun yet?? :)

Hello Schatje

TEETH AND GUMS

I saw your question and put together some information that may be helpful. I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

“The Accidental Addict” by Di Russell & Di Porritt, 2006

Teeth and Gums

A number of people experience sore teeth, more like neuralgia than toothache. Their teeth feel loose and their sockets and very sensitive to hot and cold. Sore, bleeding gums are common.

“Benzo-Wise, A Recovery Companion” by Bliss Johns, 2010

Symptoms from A to Z

Tooth/Gum/Mouth pain: nerves in teeth hurt, gum hurts, all teeth in mouth hurt.

Bruxism/Teeth grinding: occurs during sleep (often associated with tolerance or as a side effect while still on drug)

Dry Mouth: mouth dry and feeling as if no saliva

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

WOW - thank you all for the awesome responses...yes you've all eased my mind.  I'll book that appointment tomorrow since I must finally give in and get that mouth guard (hubby will be SO happy.  lol)

And yes RFB, SOOOO much fun  :D  lol

I do drink the lemon water but I think this might have to do w/ the vivid dreams/nightmare coming back.  I think I must be clenching at night.  I will start to drink the lemon water through a straw though since I've heard that's best for the teeth regardless. 

Oh boy...another "thing" on the list...but the good news is I'm improving in SO many other ways. 

Hugs to all,

Schatje

[34...]

Hi:

Somewhere on BB I talked about teeth pain (entire mouth) so I went through my 200+ posts. If I said "teeth pain" instead of "teeth hurt" maybe you would have found this.

I have noticed that many w/d s/x are constantly asked and some good responses to a thread are moved to page 100 or so. No one with benzo brain will go looking and I tried to find my thread by using search but I forgot how I worded the s/x. In the future, I am going to be more careful how I word a w/d s/x question.

Here is the thread I started under "Withdrawl & Recovery Support":

"Anyone Get Teeth Hurt As First Sign of W/D Symptoms While Tapering"

I don't know how to do a link. Some good info from BB members on this s/x.

Danni  :)

Hello Schatje,

I saw your question and put together some information that may be helpful. I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

Dry Mouth

Dry mouth robs your mouth of saliva, which is your protection against cavities. Dentists are aware that many medications cause dry mouth. They may not be aware that benzodiazepines are one of those causes. Here are the references:

“Benzo-Wise, A Recovery Companion” by Bliss Johns, 2010

Symptoms from A to Z

Dry mouth: mouth dry and feeling as if no saliva

“The Accidental Addict” by Di Porritt & Di Russell, 2006

Mouth and Tongue

Many people have too much saliva and are continually wiping the corners of their mouths – whereas others suffer from dry mouths.  A few unfortunates have both.

So, here is what my dentist recommended for dry mouth. He gave me Salese lozenges. He let me know they can also be ordered online at their website, Nuvora.com.  He also recommended  Biotene  Dry Mouth Oral Rinse.  In addition, my dentist prescribed home fluoride treatment. I use 1.1% neutral sodium fluoride gel. He also gave me the option of using prescription fluoride toothpaste.

I have found that following this advice has reduced my dental pain, strengthened my teeth, and to date, I have no cavities.

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

PS. I also wear a night guard. It is great.

Hey Schatje- Yes. Yes. A month ago went to dentist convinced I had a cavity. Nope. They gave me sensitive toothpaste, a softer brush etc. It went away on its own. I didn't even use the toothpaste they gave me.  sensed it was w/d related, and the analyzer in me thought lets see if it goes away.

I am to the point now that if anything happens, if my eye falls out of its socket (no- it hasn't) I would chalk it up to this w/d ride.  I just received the gift of tinnitus last week, and its still there like this dog whistle in my ears. I know its not anything other than w/d. I have not gone to the dr at all in my taper and w/d, as I felt that anything I said would be mis diagnosed. And- I would have to defend again my getting off the klonopin. Been there. Done that.

Oh- it was only on one side- right side. You can go to the dentist, but my guess is its our little friend, benzo.

I still think you sound so much better these days.....keep the faith!