going through a little withdrawal

[BA...]

OK well I'm 24 and i know i have anxiety for sure! i know I've had it since i was a kid but i was never actually taken and diagnosed. my story is when i was about 18-19 tough times with anxiety i found out about this o so wonderful drug to help with this terrible anxiety called Xanax. well I've been on and off from taking .25-.5 everyday for months then stopping then starting right back.And now im stuck going cold turkey. Well i actually lost a supply of 2mg bars I've been breaking down to .5 a day or every other day OK now here's the thing during the last week my life has been upside down and every other way but right. it started with the sweating at night with the ac on about 65 then the extra anxiety, palpitations, lightheaded, nausea, terrible insomnia, the little aches and pains that stir up more anxiety attack to one point i started taking Bayer aspirin due to fear of heart complications and the list goes on and on till i find myself in the e.r with no health insurance twice within days to get the message nothing is wrong and I'm in great health.Im talking ekg blood tests urine tests...well i need some support! a little if any to kick this stuff because i never want to deal with this again. and the symptoms with the withdrawal are not anything i would wish on any especially the psychological stand point. i was actually searching crazy for lost pills just so i wouldn't have to go through these symptoms and just relapse. so here i am for a little help and guidance through friends and prayer! Im not trying to be weak this is serious and trust me i know its people out there way worse off and i pray for those and hope they stay strong im talking the REAL benzo withdrawals. my prayers are with you and your recovery!

thanks for reading!

BAWRECOVERY87,

Welcoming you to BenzoBuddies.

You will find plenty of support here.

If you have any questions, let us know.

If you wish to add a signature: Signature  :thumbsup:

Others will be along to weigh in shortly.

Billy.

Hello Bawrecovery :hug:

Welcome to benzobuddies Have a look around, others will be along shortly to welcome you

Glad you found us you will get much support here

take care

Magrita :)

Hi there,

How long has it been since you did a cold turkey from Xanax.  To Abruptly stop taking a Benzo, such as Xanax can cause some serious repercusions, such as a seizure.  I do not mean to alarm you, just concerned about you.

pj

Welcome,

Can you call your doctor?  Xanax is not a drug to go cold turkey off of, as PJ posted.  Best if you can taper off slowly to avoid side effects, which it sounds like you're having.  Keep posting...we're here for you.

Challis :therethere:

Welcome,

Can you call your doctor?  Xanax is not a drug to go cold turkey off of, as PJ posted.  Best if you can taper off slowly to avoid side effects, which it sounds like you're having.  Keep posting...we're here for you.

Challis :therethere:

NO DOC! I'VE BEEN GETTING THEM FROM A FRIEND WHO WORKS IN THE MED FIELD. I KNOW ITS SAD AND DANGEROUS BUT THE ANXIETY WAS JUST TOO MUCH ALL I WANTED WAS JUST TO BE NORMAL. TO WAKE UP AND LIVE WITHOUT FEAR SO OBVIOUSLY TO ME NOW I THINK I WOULD HAVE KEPT WITHOUT IF I KNEW THIS WAS THE PRECAUTION :(

Hi there,

How long has it been since you did a cold turkey from Xanax.  To Abruptly stop taking a Benzo, such as Xanax can cause some serious repercusions, such as a seizure.  I do not mean to alarm you, just concerned about you.

pj

THIS IS MY FIRST WEEK OFF AND YEA ITS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH. PRAYER IS KEEPING ME UP!

Do you have a doctor you could talk to?  Tell him/her what's going on and ask for a prescription so you can taper off?  I believe you have a window of two weeks from the time you went off cold turkey to reinstate and taper.  After two weeks it apparently doesn't do much good to reinstate your dose.  You weren't at a high dose so it shouldn't take long to properly taper off rather than suffer withdrawal...

Challis :smitten:

Do you have a doctor you could talk to?  Tell him/her what's going on and ask for a prescription so you can taper off?  I believe you have a window of two weeks from the time you went off cold turkey to reinstate and taper.  After two weeks it apparently doesn't do much good to reinstate your dose.  You weren't at a high dose so it shouldn't take long to properly taper off rather than suffer withdrawal...

hey but i am one jacked up person ihave no health care no doctor the only time my health really is evaluated is when i go to the e.r but i got some great information recently to help me with that. but im making progress the anxiety is heavy still more in the range of 85% of my thoughts but a strong mind and prayer keeps my head above the water hey thanks for your concern this site and all u are just great people!!!

For what it's worth, here are some of the things I did when I cold turkey'd without knowing what was going to happen:

Walked...a lot!  And paced when I wasn't walking...anything to keep moving.

Drank plenty of water...

NO caffeine, including chocolate...

NO alcohol...it will aggravate your symptoms...

Warm relaxing baths...

Slow deep breathing repeated whenever I felt the anxiety getting the better of me.

Just knowing what's happening might help your anxiety, that your symptoms are CAUSED by the Xanax w/d and that you aren't going crazy.  The description of your symptoms is typical of benzo withdrawal.  Seizures can come from rapid withdrawal, and I'm no expert in this but if you've gone a week I'd think, not sure, but think you might be past that happening.  If you were taking .25 to .5, at least that's not a large dose.

Keep posting...we'll try to keep this at the top of the column so others who know more might jump in with suggestions.

Challis  :mybuddy:

ITS A NICE FRIDAY I ONLY GOT LIKE 2 HOURS OF SLEEP BUT I WOKE UP WITH LESS ANXIETY THAN NORMAL. IM SUPER TIRED BUT I THINK AFTER A WEEK MY WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS FROM LOW DOSE .25-.5 FOR ABOUT A YEAR ON AND OFF IS CLEARING UP TREMENDOUSLY. MY STATE OF THOUGHT IS RETURNING TO NORMAL MY ANXIETY IS STILL THERE BUT THATS SOMETHING I HAVE TO DEAL WITH THROUGH PRAYER AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE  PROBLEM I HAVE.SOME OF THE BEST ADVICE I HAVE HEARD IS TO ACCEPT YOUR WITHDRAWAL AND ACCEPT IT ALSO AS AN PLUS TO A NEW YOU AND A NEW BEGINNING AND WITH THE MENTAL TOUGHNESS U WILL GAIN FOR GETTING THROUGH IT YOU SHOULD BE BETTER OFF. WELL THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE SUPPORT AND LOVE AND I'LL KEEP POSTING AND TRYING TO HELP OTHERS AS MUCH AS I CAN!

MUCH LOVE AND RESPECT

THANKS!!!! :)

Hi, :)

You're doing great!  Your very kind, and positive attitude is an asset that you can be proud of.

the best to you

pj

You're doing great!  Your very kind, and positive attitude is an asset that you can be proud of.

the best to you

pj

YEA I WAS ALL HYPE AND GOOD EARLIER AND THEN POW ANXIETY ATTACK AND A HORRIBLE ONE! I WAS SECONDS FROM CALLING THE AMBULANCE BUT I TRIED TO STAY STRONG AS IM TRYING NOW. I REALLY HATE ALL THIS! ITS LIKE WHY. THE DOC TOLD  ME I WAS GREAT IN HEALTH BUT I STILL CANT FIGHT THE URGE OF ANXIETY. I JUST WANT TO BE BACK NORMAL. I KNOW ITS GOT TO DO WITH THE WITHDRAWAL STILL BUT I FEEL I MAY RELAPSE AND TAPER OFF BECAUSE I JUST CANT HANDLE IT TOO MUCH. ANY ADVICE OR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT? DO U THINK I SHOULD GET BACK ON AND TAPER OFF OR CONTINUE THIS HARD FIGHT ???

the best to you

pj

YEA I WAS ALL HYPE AND GOOD EARLIER AND THEN POW ANXIETY ATTACK AND A HORRIBLE ONE! I WAS SECONDS FROM CALLING THE AMBULANCE BUT I TRIED TO STAY STRONG AS IM TRYING NOW. I REALLY HATE ALL THIS! ITS LIKE WHY. THE DOC TOLD  ME I WAS GREAT IN HEALTH BUT I STILL CANT FIGHT THE URGE OF ANXIETY. I JUST WANT TO BE BACK NORMAL. I KNOW ITS GOT TO DO WITH THE WITHDRAWAL STILL BUT I FEEL I MAY RELAPSE AND TAPER OFF BECAUSE I JUST CANT HANDLE IT TOO MUCH. ANY ADVICE OR WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT? DO U THINK I SHOULD GET BACK ON AND TAPER OFF OR CONTINUE THIS HARD FIGHT ???

Why don't you give it another day or two.  If it gets to the point where it is unbearable

try a new approach.  Getting off benzos is not a race, if you have to reinstate, and do a slow taper there is nothing wrong with that.  You have to be able to function. 

Anxiety is a big problem when withdrawing.  I  used to think that I had every disease in the book, would get checked out, all was fine.  It's the stupid benzos messing with our minds.

Whatever you decide to do, we will be here for you. :)

PJ

thanks pj well i just finish crying for the first time it made me feel bad yet angry like i wanted to continue to fight which im trying to do but i'll keep you guys posted im about to go jogging to ease my thoughts. THANKS for all the support!!!

HEY PJ AND FORUM,

WELL I ENDED UP LOOSING IT!AS SOON AS I HEADED OUT TO SUPPOSEDLY JOG MORE SHORTNESS OF BREATH CAME AND EXTREME LIGHTHEADEDNESS  I TRIED    AND TRIED BUT I JUST HAD TO CALL 911. BEEN IN THE E.R SINCE 5PM AND JUST GOT IN LIKE 5MIN AGO 9AM.IT STARTED WHEN I WAS GOING THROUGH THE SYMPTOMS AND WHAT DO U KNOW IM CRYING BECAUSE I WAS HURT AND READY TO BE BACK NORMAL.

AS A RESULT OF ME CRYING UP MY THROAT FELT AS IF WERE CLOSING I WAITED AND WAITED BUT NO RELIEF AND YOU ALL KNOW HOW WE CAN GET AT TIMES LIKE THAT. ANYHOW I HAD MULTIPLE EKGS MORE BLOOD WORK MIND YOU THAT THIS IS THE 3RD TIME THIS WEEK I ENDED UP IN THE E.R. WELL AT THE END OF IT ALL I GOT PRESCRIBED .25(15) XANAX TO TAKE AT NIGHT AND TO FOLLOW UP ELSEWHERE IN 3-5 DAYS. I PROMISE YOU ALL I DONT WANT TO TAKE THE DRUG I REALLY DONT IM GOING TO TRY TO RESIST AS MUCH AS I CAN! AND UNDERSTAND MY ASSOCIATED INSOMNIA ISNT NO JOKE. THE LAST COUPLE OF DAYS I ONLY HAVE A HAD A TOTAL OF LESS THAN 6 HOURS OF SLEEP SO IM TEMPTED! WORST COME TO WORSE  IM TAKING THE PILLS BUT JUST TO WEEN OFF OF THEM THE RIGHT WAY...THANKS YOU ALL FOR THE SUPPORT ! AND THIS FORUM IS JUST AWESOME! BUT STRENGTH BE TO US ALL!!! MUCH LOVE PEOPLE!!!! (MODIFIED VERSION FROM ANXIETY TOPIC REPLY BY ME)

You did what you had to do, so don't be too hard on yourself.  You know, we are all just humans,  trying to do the best we can in an often confusing, and mixed-up world.

You just take good care of yourself.  :)  You are unique, and you are special.  Love yourself for the good person who you are.  Keep reading the forums, and asking questions.

all the best to you

pj

I had to do the same thing after three days, not because I wanted to cave in and take Xanax again but because I had to due to the severity of the side effects.  Don't beat yourself up about it, you're not being weak to take it.  I was at .25 for a month and just cut to .125, planning to hold for two weeks then go to .0625 (1/4th of a tablet) for two weeks and then jump off.  DO see a doctor, explain the situation and ask for his/her help to taper safely. 

And keep posting...we care about you!

P.S.  I, too, ended up at the ER crying and in a panic, embarrassed to be there in withdrawal ...so you're not alone!  :therethere:

HEY THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT ! I WILL WRITE TOMORROW WITH AN UPDATE I WOULD LOVE TO WRITE MORE BUT THE SLEEPINESS IS COMING ON HEAVY AND I AM YET TO TAKE MY .25 IM TRYING TO BE STRONG AS U ALL ARE! WELL GN FOR NOW TIME TO PRAY FOR MY BENZO FAMILY!

PEACE AND STRENGTH BE TO US ALL!!!

Don't ever beat yourself up for what you have to do in withdrawal. None of it is easy. The choices you have to make right now are some of the hardest ones in your life. I hope you are ok today. We are all in my prayers.

HEY EVERYONE! I HOPE EVERYBODY HAD A LITTLE PEACE AND REST AND I PRAY YOUR DAY WILL BE BETTER THAN THE LAST. WELL ITS ALMOST AFTERNOON AND I AM YET TO TAKE MY XANAX THE DOCS PRESCRIBED ME YESTERDAY. AS EASY AS IT WAS LAST NIGHT TO JUST GIVE IN MY HEART WOULDN'T LET ME AND APART OF THE REASON WHY IS YOU PEOPLE! I FEEL A SENSE OF LET DOWN TO GO BACK TO IT. OF COURSE I HAVE LIGHT ANXIETY BUT IM ALSO FOLLOWING THE STEPS TO STAY CALM.I FEEL IM DOING THE RIGHT THING AND AS I STATED IF THE SYMPTOMS ARE TOO HEAVY I'LL HAVE TO TAKE IT BUT FOR NOW I AM FIGHTING AND I WILL GET THROUGH AS WILL YOU ALL WHO CONTINUE TO FIGHT! DONT GIVE UP! YOU CAN DO IT AND YOU KNOW YOU CAN!!!WELL MAY THE DAY CONTINUE IN STRENGTH AND PEACE OF MIND FOR US ALL...

BLESS  :thumbsup:

Yay, glad to hear it!  However, if things should take a turn for the worse don't beat yourself up if you have to take one.  The nature of recovery is that is can be up and down.  When I jumped off too quickly I was able to get rid of most of the symptoms by taking just a tiny bit, not a whole tablet, so that's an option for you, too.  It works fast so you can take 1/4 of a tablet and see if that gives you enough relief to avoid an ER visit.  If that doesn't work, another 1/4...etc.

Hi Bawrecovery.  First hugs. 

I am not in benzo withdrawal yet, but I am on 6 mg Klonopin.  I am currently trying to get off Lamactil, took my last pill four days ago.  It caused horrendous anxiety.    I am still in withdrawal from that.

I am seeing an holistic doc who is an expert in this kind of addiction with drawal.  Look up the Birkmeyer Institute in Albuquerque, he's really got the credentials.  He helps people all the time with thing kind of thing.

He told me to take Omega Fish oil, Lethicin and choline, and B vitamins.  All of these help your nervous system.  Just wanted to share.