Buspar Anyone??

[OS...]

I have been off Xanax/Ativan since May 2011.  Still having sx-anxiety (reason I went on in the first place), brain fog, insomnia, exhaustion, tinnitus, etc.  Have been following closely with a psych MD and CBT with a therapist.  Have had multitude of tests to see if there is another reason for SX but all is normal.  Began to think it was "all in my head" but then found this forum.  My MD prescribed me Buspar 20mg 2 weeks ago and really not thinking it is helping.  Have not seen any decrease in anxiety.  I also take Effexor 225mg daily and vistaril PRN (also does nothing)and Trazodone for sleep.  Anyone had any good or bad experiences with Buspar.  I read somewhere that it does not work unless you are benzo naive-not sure if this is true or not.  I know it works on different receptors.  Thanks for any info

Hello OSURN,

I saw your question about BuSpar and put together some information that may be helpful. I also included a link that has additional  information.

BENZODIAZEPINE DEPENDENCY AND WITHDRAWAL

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) file from benzo.org.uk

ARE THERE ANY PARTICULAR DRUGS A DOCTOR MIGHT PRESCRIBE THAT DEFINITELY DO NOT HELP WITHDRAWAL?

Yes. BuSpar (buspirone), a commonly prescribed anti-anxiety agent, is virtually certain to be totally ineffective in alleviating withdrawal symptoms. This conclusion is supported by studies (e.g. Ashton C H, Buspirone in Benzodiazepine Withdrawal, 1991). Furthermore, this author has never heard a single testimonial from anyone who claims to have benefited from this particular drug in withdrawal. Other drugs which have been found to be of little or no value in withdrawal trials include Clonidine (Catapres, an anti-anxiety drug sometimes used in alcohol detoxification), nifedipine (Adalat) and alpidem.

Medication / Drug Usage During Benzodiazepine Withdrawal and Recovery

People who are in the midst of or have completely withdrawn from benzodiazepine drugs often ask the question of what medications they need to avoid in order to ensure they don't risk the danger of making their existing withdrawal symptoms worse. The following lists some, but not all medications, which are commonly prescribed during withdrawal and highlights both the dangers and benefits which can be derived from such medication thereby enabling the reader to make an informed judgment when in discussion with his/her doctor.

The information given on these medications is primarily related to benzodiazepine withdrawal but, for the most part can probably be equally applied to other GABA addictive drugs e.g. barbiturates and alcohol.

Here is the reference (this reference also includes other medications to avoid)

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/drugs.html

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

osurn, it did not help me, seemed totally useless plus it makes me dizzy.

There is a med forum with peoples comments and not many seem to get help with it I noticed

Maybe if youve never taken benzos before it would help? I dont know.

I have been taking Buspar since Sept 11.  If I got up in the dose it made me not feel right in the head. I also couldn't feel my face.  Higher levels made me cry more, or so I believe.  Anyway I have been on 5 mg to 30 mg a day.  I am tapering to go off of it. I'm down to 5 mg a day and will probably step off after going every other day.  You are suppose to be able to just stop taking it but I tapered to be safer.  Don't feel it ever did anything to help w/d symptoms or anxiety.

Sally Stillbelieving

I was on buspar years ago,it worked a little here and there,and then as I got older and more sensitive becouse of the klonopin,it turned on me and made me angry,hostile,and gave me panic attacks,not to mention,dizzy! Angel