shy to ask, but constipated due to benzo belly. Need help

[Ni...]

Its been over 4 days and I have not gone to the bathroom. I'm so uncomfortable. I read about benzo belly and your stool getting too hard to pass. I'm bleeding from cramps and trying to go, and have ulceratice colitis. Anything I take oraly makes me sick to my stomach, anything you recommend? Thanks.

Hi Nicole,

So sorry. Here's something that works for me.

Boil oatmeal and flaxseed in a large pot of water. Use way more water than you need. It should get rather slimey.

Drain the water off, let it cool a bit and drink it warm.  Throw the oatmeal and flax seed away.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Quite soothing. I hope it helps!

Flip

I know its gross but an old fashioned enema can help.  I had to resort to one my first month off. UGH. but relief.

Can you add more water and fiber to your diet too?

Hope it gets better for you soon.

I suffer a lot with constipation even before the Benzo withdrawal i find eating brown bread helps.  I also eat brocolli and cabbage once a week sometimes resort to Senakot but only take one this usually works.

Katie :thumbsup:

I second the enema. I've had to resort to them. Once had to do it in the ER which was quite a bit more than the home enema.. And boy what a relief. I keep some home enema on hand, I've had to use it twice.

I've used miralax,milk of manesia, prune juice, pear juice, sour kraut, but when it's been a few too many days it just can't wait.

Hi Nicole,

So sorry you are suffering. I too suffer with bad constipation. I eat prunes or drink prune juice most days not a brilliant taste but help to keep the bowels moving I have IBS so have to be careful with laxatives etc as they can aggravate the bowel.

Also drink lots of water, definitely proven to help with constipation

Hope that helps

Debbie  :)

Nicole, early on I tried senakot, didnt touch mine! I drank alot of water and took some Milk of magnesia.

I ended up on an IBS board. It seems like alot of themuse the Milk of magnesia!

It helped me, only took 2 dses. I was desperate.

I also take 500 mg of Magnesium and havent had a prob since :)

I had conspiation so bad  starting in my first week of my taper that, I took  3 fiber pills daily for 7 months!  Last week no more fiiber piills and things are back to normal  bando

[bf...]

I noticed that I get constipated more often now that I am tapering with Diazepam (Valium). I never had that problem before I started tapering. I use Metamucil (Fibre) now...I put the powder into water and drink it. Sometime the next day I have bowel movement and relief.

Danni

When I got to where I could or didnt go for days I would take Milk of Mag.  It is only Magnesium oxide, just I took for muscle pain anyway.  I would adjust the doseage as i needed it.

I believe the the benzo belly has to do with decrease of HCL acid during this process. You can buy it at vitamin stores and take it with meals. As far as constipation. Drink plenty fluids and eat lots of fiber. hope this helps.:X

i would try a women gentle laxitive and the fleets emema is a good idea angelluv then start eating fiber cereal every morming i eat FIBER ONE ...by general mills and dont for get activia yogurt helps regulate your digestive track love in JESUS....kate7 ::)