Sleepless in Boston

[Ra...]

Am just getting on this forum but hello. I'm a bit confused but that's because my head is so messed up. I have had a lot of anxiety for months, less and less sleep. They got concerned, I was put in the hospital and taken cold turkey off the 2 mg of klonopin I had been on for years. What was bad became awful and today I am totally freaking out. I just can't think straight any more. I spend whole nights not sleeping, sleeping only a few hours, or the coming off klonopin gives me RLS that literally gives me shin splints by morning. I am a wreak looking for help. I have tried the melatonin, tart cherry, GABA, which used to work, but now I am totally out of control. Help. Thanks. Rackham

Hi rackham and welcome to the form, there is lots of support here and knowledgeable folks , lots of information to read and people that understand what you are going through as most of us have gone through or are in the midst of withdrawal, keep posting and adding  a signature line would be helpful, you will find your way around the forum, the Ashton manual is a good place to start. Insomnia is extremely hard to deal with and many of us here have that, myself included, I only get about 2-3 hrs every night so far but its my reason for taking benzos in the first place so I am not sure yet if my sleep will return, only time will tell. take care Ladygrace

Hello Rackham,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies, you will find so many kind and caring people here willing to help.

It is possible that your earlier problems were due to tolerance you developed on the Klonopin.  How long have you been off now?  Right now you are in the midst of acute withdrawal and the symptoms you feel are very common.  Here is a link to the Ashton Manual, there is a lot of good information there.

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Are you still working with your doctor and is he aware of your symptoms?

Feel free to ask questions and read the various boards.

pianogirl

I responded in your insomnia thread.

You can read the Ashton manual, but don't expect your doc to follow the Ashton protocol.

He probably shouldn't. Some people see it as the 'bible', but the Ashton protocol is just a way. There are other ways. The Ashton manual is neither complete nor completely correct.

Usually one should slowly taper off the Klonopin, especially since you've been on it for so long.

You do need to sleep. Long term extreme sleep deprivation is extremely destructive.

[28...]
This is absolutely horrible that CT was forced on you. I agree with the long term goal og getting benzo free, but this process can take many months, even a bit over a year to do comfortably. Your withdrawal symptoms will continue for much longer than you want. I suggest you find a benzo wise doctor (this should not be hard in Boston) who can advise and support you on a more tolerable process of discontinuation.

Hi Rackam,

I'm sorry that you feel of control.. That is very frightening on top of the other symptoms you are having... I know your head is a bit messed up and you probably have cog fog but can you, or someone else, read about benzos and the symptoms of abruptly coming off these drugs.. That might give you a bit of comfort to know that what is going on for you is to be expected from coming off a benzo c/t.. It is awful and you will feel terrible, but you will recover in time.. For now though you need to get some support and strategies..

Are you too long off to consider a reinstatement and slow taper?  There is a window where it is possible to reinstate.  From memory I think it is about 2/3 weeks.  It doesn't always work but it could be worth talking to a benzo wise doctor about.

Were you put on any other drugs when you were in hospital?  As suggested could you start a signature line.  That way people will be able to read where you are at.

Hang in there,

Betsy xxxx