NSAIDs????okay to take???

[Go...]

Hi, it's Gordon's wife here again, as he can't get on himself yet..

He had been having bad nerve pain in mouth.. tongue, teeth, gums, jaw, etc.  At first he would not take ibuprofen, as we had read it has mild GABA agonist (what's the word???0) effects, but then he did, and he felt better. Not only the pan subsided, but he felt better in his head.  Any feedback on whether it is okay to take NSAIDS, and/or anyone else's experience with using these for pain? He just does NOT want to interfere with his healing.  Thank you!!!

Hi Gordon,

As I understand it too, NSAIDs are mild GABA antagonists and therefore should be avoided during withdrawal and recovery.  But it sounds like in your husbands case, the benefits outweighed the potential downside.  We are all different and what makes one feel worse might not affect another.  As long as it doesn't cause a worsening in symptoms, I don't see a problem with him taking it when needed.

MiniMinnie

Hi Gordon,

I strained my back the other day and took some aceteminophen (Tylenol I think) and had no bad effects.  I think its worth trying and just seeing what happens. 

Best wishes, Scott.

As far as I know, NSAID's have been an issue with some forum members.  I was prescribed them months ago for a non-benzo-related issue I had and never filled the prescription as I read too many negative stories.  I use Extra Strength Tylenol for any pain issues and have no ill effects from them.  I cannot take Advil as it revs up my s/x. 

All the best to you and Gordon...hang in there!

Schatje

I have been wondering this myself. I have found that ibuprofin helps me sleep actually, so it very well could be acting on gaba for me.

What about Aspirin - is that okay? Or is only Tylenol okay?

does GABA "antagonist" mean it fights AGAINST GABA (like ,  is it l ike NMDA or whatever.. the stimulating one!)I am confused by the language. Ibuprofen makes ME have more energy, besides taking away the pain (this is Gordon's wife, speaking here). but maybe cuz it raises blood pressure?

Hello Gordon's wife,

I put together some information that may be helpful.

Medication / Drug Usage During Benzodiazepine Withdrawal and Recovery

People who are in the midst of or have completely withdrawn from benzodiazepine drugs often ask the question of what medications they need to avoid in order to ensure they don't risk the danger of making their existing withdrawal symptoms worse. The following lists some, but not all medications, which are commonly prescribed during withdrawal and highlights both the dangers and benefits which can be derived from such medication thereby enabling the reader to make an informed judgment when in discussion with his/her doctor.

The information given on these medications is primarily related to benzodiazepine withdrawal but, for the most part can probably be equally applied to other GABA addictive drugs e.g. barbiturates and alcohol.

NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) can enhance the GABA antagonism. Studies on Rats have shown increases by up to 90 times. Examples of NSAID's are Aspirin - Solprin, Diclofenac - Voltaren, Ibuprofen - Brufen, Indomethacin - Indocid, Ketoprofen - Oruvail, Naproxen - Naprosyn, Synflex, Tenoxicam - Tilcoltil, Tiaprofenic – Surgam.

Here is the reference (this reference also includes other medications to avoid)

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/drugs.html

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

Hello Gordon's wife,

I put together some information that may be helpful.

Medication / Drug Usage During Benzodiazepine Withdrawal and Recovery

People who are in the midst of or have completely withdrawn from benzodiazepine drugs often ask the question of what medications they need to avoid in order to ensure they don't risk the danger of making their existing withdrawal symptoms worse. The following lists some, but not all medications, which are commonly prescribed during withdrawal and highlights both the dangers and benefits which can be derived from such medication thereby enabling the reader to make an informed judgment when in discussion with his/her doctor.

The information given on these medications is primarily related to benzodiazepine withdrawal but, for the most part can probably be equally applied to other GABA addictive drugs e.g. barbiturates and alcohol.

NSAIDs (Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) can enhance the GABA antagonism. Studies on Rats have shown increases by up to 90 times. Examples of NSAID's are Aspirin - Solprin, Diclofenac - Voltaren, Ibuprofen - Brufen, Indomethacin - Indocid, Ketoprofen - Oruvail, Naproxen - Naprosyn, Synflex, Tenoxicam - Tilcoltil, Tiaprofenic – Surgam.

Here is the reference (this reference also includes other medications to avoid)

http://www.bcnc.org.uk/drugs.html

I hope this is helpful,

Summer

90 times?!  :o Wow, thanks summer! Very helpful. I guess no  more ibuprofin or aspirin for me!! I had been taking them almost every day, so we'll have to see how I feel without them.

hello Hollyms,

You're welcome. So happy to hear the information was helpful to you. I have found taking Tylenol can be helpful. I do not think that very often. I continue to work on not drug ways to manage pain. I use heating pads, mild stretching, light massage and anything that is  calming.

Love to you,

Summer

Great info!  :thumbsup:  I was a little confused and had been taking ibuprofen for intense tension headache pain as I thought that was "safe" but am now switching to Tylenol. 

Thanks!