Benzo free - flumazenil works!

[el...]

Hi,

Its been 10 months since I did my treatment, 10 months free of benzos!!!!

For a long time I had kept my last benzo pills and prescriptions in my cabinet, I have thrown them away for I know that I will never need them or go back to them!!!!!!!!

I wish I could say I am a 100% back to the old me, but that is not true. What I can say is that I am about 70% myself which is pretty good considering from where I came. I came from a very deep dark place.

I am now working on my diet, making sure that I really give my body all the nutrients it needs to heal the last part.

I am endlessly thankful to Doctor George O'Neil for the work he does and the kindness with which he shares his knowledge.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [el...]

• [...]

• [Wi...]

• [Go...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[e3...]

Hi,

For a long time I had kept my last benzo pills and prescriptions in my cabinet, I have thrown them away for I know that I will never need them or go back to them!!!!!!!!

I wish I could say I am a 100% back to the old me, but that is not true. What I can say is that I am about 70% myself which is pretty good considering from where I came. I came from a very deep dark place.

I am now working on my diet, making sure that I really give my body all the nutrients it needs to heal the last part.

I am endlessly thankful to Doctor George O'Neil for the work he does and the kindness with which he shares his knowledge.

Thanks Elizabeth, I will visiting him in the very near future.

StaffyGirl

That's exciting, Staffy, I will be very interested to learn how you get on.  I think, (hope), I am passed the stage where this is right for me but I did research flumazenil at the outset of withdrawal & was aware there had been an Australian trial but not that there was an active treatment protocol available in WA.

[e3...]

That's exciting, Staffy, I will be very interested to learn how you get on.  I think, (hope), I am passed the stage where this is right for me but I did research flumazenil at the outset of withdrawal & was aware there had been an Australian trial but not that there was an active treatment protocol available in WA.

Hi ihope, yes they have a very comprehensive range of protocols, from infusion to implants, thus far they have been fantastic in supplying me with plenty of information and full disclosure of research documents relating to outcomes, success rates and the like.

Now all I need to do is convince my Gastroentrologist and oncologist that my liver will handle it and I'm off to Perth.

Terrified but excited all in one.  I have turned this one over to the universe, so I'll know in 2 weeks after above Doc consultations.

Staffy

Staffy, I didn't realise that you were being pushed to rush your taper to accommodate a chemo protocol.  You are a real bz warrior the way you give so much help to others while dealing with all of this.

I truly hope that the flumazenil can offer you some relief, if your vitals are up to it.

Elizabeth, Im confused.  I thought you came off of benzos with the aid off flumazenil and that you were doing well.  I thought that you had said in your earlier posts back in March that it was the best way to come off yet you are still healing 10 months out.  Sorry Im confused.  I am however glad that you are getting better each day:-) Trying to understand your opinion on Flumazenil if you think it works or not.

GG

Hi,

To clarify, with the flumazenil treatment I was able to stop in one go from 17 diazepam. Which I would have never ever been able to do on my own. So I am no longer benzo dependent, this is a miracle, alleluia!!!!

Now on the matter of my health, I am not yet the 100% I wished I was. I would rate myself at a 70 %. I function well as long as I am not to ambitious about what I want to do. That is I get easily tired.  My sleep is slightly fragmented and I have a bit of tinnitus.

So the term cured is relative to how you look at it. If cured is off benzo and relatively okay then I am cured. If cured is back to the old 100% them I am not cured.

[e3...]

Hi,

To clarify, with the flumazenil treatment I was able to stop in one go from 17 diazepam. Which I would have never ever been able to do on my own. So I am no longer benzo dependent, this is a miracle, alleluia!!!!

Now on the matter of my health, I am not yet the 100% I wished I was. I would rate myself at a 70 %. I function well as long as I am not to ambitious about what I want to do. That is I get easily tired.  My sleep is slightly fragmented and I have a bit of tinnitus.

So the term cured is relative to how you look at it. If cured is off benzo and relatively okay then I am cured. If cured is back to the old 100% them I am not cured.

Thanks Elizabeth, you've been very helpful.  I too would be coming off around 16mgs.  For me being 'off' is very important as I have other issues at play.  70% would be fine with me.

Staffy x

The way i see it, is that the benzos block the sites. Then our bodies try to make more chemical messengers. Then when the benzos are withdrawn, our bodies are way over stimulated due to excess messengers. That is a simple way that I look at it.

So with Flumazenil, the effect is short term. For me, I cant understand how flumazenil could work long term.

As we know, some people dont go thru PAWS. But what do I know. Whatever works.

I am 2 years off, and about 90 percent healed.

The way i see it, is that the benzos block the sites. Then our bodies try to make more chemical messengers. Then when the benzos are withdrawn, our bodies are way over stimulated due to excess messengers. That is a simple way that I look at it.

So with Flumazenil, the effect is short term. For me, I cant understand how flumazenil could work long term.

As we know, some people dont go thru PAWS. But what do I know. Whatever works.

I am 2 years off, and about 90 percent healed.

If it makes you happy think this way be may guest!

That won't change the fact that I am not longer addicted to benzos and without flumazenil I would have never been able to achieve this so quickly and so smoothly.

I was 9 days on flumazenil and I am now 10 moths off benzo!

Not only that I am so confident that I will never go back that I have thrown away every pill and prescription I had. :thumbsup:

I could be wrong, but this sounds similar to some who were detoxed off benzos with other drugs.  Being 70% after 10 months, means that earlier in the process, the healing was at a lower percentage, and sounds similar to where other's removed from same level of the same drugs might be.  Perhaps the lesson is that this may be as viable an option for some who need to get off the drug safely and quickly if that's absolutely necessary.  The second part of the lesson may then be there is no magic bullet to getting off benzos and that while this may surpass a straight CT, it is not drastically different than the more responsible of the detox programs.  Keeps you from dying or seizure, gets you off the drug, but there is still a lengthy recovery. 

It's tremendous that you got off the drug Elizabeth.  Congratulations on your 10 months.

I could be wrong, but this sounds similar to some who were detoxed off benzos with other drugs.  Being 70% after 10 months, means that earlier in the process, the healing was at a lower percentage, and sounds similar to where other's removed from same level of the same drugs might be.  Perhaps the lesson is that this may be as viable an option for some who need to get off the drug safely and quickly if that's absolutely necessary.  The second part of the lesson may then be there is no magic bullet to getting off benzos and that while this may surpass a straight CT, it is not drastically different than the more responsible of the detox programs.  Keeps you from dying or seizure, gets you off the drug, but there is still a lengthy recovery. 

It's tremendous that you got off the drug Elizabeth.  Congratulations on your 10 months.

I have been on the 70% since I stopped, I skipped all the horror times that regular cold turkey people have suffered. People around me tell me how I look better and better, and I feel myself more and more myself. I am healing and flumazenil pushed me out of the benzo nightmare in just nine days of treatment.

Dear Benzobuddies,

I have decided to restart my flumazenil post because this information is important. There is a road out of the benzo nightmare.

This mis my post, my story, If you don't believe it, don't agree, don't like it please start your own post!

On the 9th of January I stopped taking benzo and started the flumazenil treatment as per the pioneering work of Doctor George O’Neil / Fresh Start Foundation, Australia.

I was the first pilot carried out in the Nederlands under the care of Addiction Doctor Erik Paling (Novadic Kentron) and Addiction Professor Core de Jong (Nispa). The treatment entailed subcutaneous infusion of Flumazenil for 9 days. Additionally I was give an antiepileptic (Depakina) and a anti depressive (Mirtazapine).

From the 9th of January I have stopped taking diazepam. I was on benzo’s for 2 years, my highest dosses was 2 tablets of 2 milligram loremetazapam = 40 diazepam. By the time I entered treatment I had managed to go down to 17 diazepam. I choose to do the treatment even though it was experimental because I realized that I was unable to reduce the diazepam on my own. I had to many withdrawal symptoms. I signed an indemnity form in which I took full responsibility of my choice.

The first days were the most challenging ones. My sister had specially take off work to support me during the first two days. I initially had stopped at 5 days, but as I realized that my brain was over stressed I went on for another 4 days. By that time when I stopped the infusion I managed to function reasonably well. Initially I was hipper sensitive to impulses sound, light… but as the days went on I could manage more and more. I now started going to the gym doing simple work outs. The only medication I am still taking is ½ a tablet of 17 milligram mirtazapina.

How does flumazenil work, it is not yet clear. The thinking is that is somehow repairs the gaba receptors so that they work properly. How much time must flumazenil must be administered to achieve this is still an unanswered question

All in all I had 4 panic attacks, one just after stopping after 5 days of treatment, one when restarting the extra 4 days and one during the first week at home, and the last one now that I am sick with flu and my sinus hurt so I don’t sleep well. These are the times when I felt my heart flutter. For the rest I am doing well, better and better every time. It nearly feels unreal that I had so much stress. I am able to do more, handle more and start thinking about the my future.

I am grateful that this opportunity appeared, that I had the courage to do it. But it wasn’t just me, you benzo buddies helped me. I wanted to thank the Benzo Buddies team and all its member for without all the information I got from the site I would have believed that I was mentally ill. All the symptoms we discussed, all the postings kept me focussed and gave me courage to take the plunge. Thank you.

The advice that I can give you is flumazenil works, Professor de Jong will be undertaking a formal study but that takes time before it gets published. For those that don’t want to wait you could follow this treatment in Australia at the Fresh Start Foundation. For those that can’t afford such a trip I would advise them to contact a professor of addiction nearby and convince him/her to do a pilot. Perhaps make a benzo buddies flumazenil group and work together at organizing the treatment in the USA. Coming to the Netherlands is not an option because its public health care and you need to be a Dutch citizen. When looking on internet I have seen some detox centres in the USA that work with flumazenil, I don’t know what their protocol is. So I will give you some important points that you need to keep in mind:

subcutaneous infusion is better than intravenous, it is just as affective and your body fat doesn’t get bruised as easy as veins.

George O’neil uses a small pomp that you carry around your neck and you are allowed to go home after two days. That is you are only hospitalized for two days. This allows you freedom of movement and helps you keep your sanity.

The longer you stay on flumazenil the smaller the drop in well being when you stop. Therefore a place where you can decide for how long you want to have flumazenil and gives you the option to restart your treatment when you don’t feel well is the best.

Ideally you stop all medication before you stop the flumazenil. Stopping medication gives you stress and you want to be done with all the pills while you are on flumazenil.

Having a Buddy to be with you while you detox and support you the days, weeks and after is importatn. Somebody that understands, care, loves you and has time for you.

Last but not least please note that this is an experimental treatment, it has not been officially verified through quantifiable studies. Thus you are navigating uncharted territory, therefore you will be fully responsible for your choices and the consequences that arise from it. I wish you wisdom and courage regarding the decision you take.

Elizabeth, the problem is that no one knows how people would respond without flumazenil.  We need placebo controlled studies for this, and there are none as far as I know.

It's really way past the time when this should be researched.  Some have tried flumazenil on this forum without success.  It's really hard to tell, but it's worth sharing our experiences, and for that I'm glad you shared.

I also think Remeron masks some of the withdrawal symptoms, however, if it helps with sleep that is huge. 

Hi,

I have created a new post and will no longer reply to this one. If you are truly interested in the treatment you can contact me on my messages.

You are wrong and misinterpreting what I write,

To spell it out 17 diazepam daily.

9 days flumazenil treatment = no more diazepam and doing well.

10 months later doing well and haven taken any benzo's!

Pretty simple maths!

Hi Elizabeth. I think its wonderful that you took the chance and made it through. I can clearly see that you have posted this for informational purposes, to share your positive experience. I can also see that you are not trying to twist everyones arm to force this treatment upon us. I can understand the skepticism as well. If it were not for people like yourself taking risks and reporting positive results, many effective treatments/cures would never have a chance to be discovered. You were a "Guinea pig'' for science. That's quite a sacrifice. I'm glad it worked well for you and in my opinion will work well for others as well, not everyone, but some. Its a personal choice. We all need to take responsibility for our own choices. I'm gonna stick with my slow taper, but if I decided to go your route, I surely wouldn't blame you for misguiding me if it went wrong. Thanks for the info and congratulations on being benzo free! :) :) :)

snoball

I don't misguide anybody!

I provide adequate information so people are aware that there are other options.

Inform yourself and decide for yourself what your want to do.