Author Topic: Benzo free - flumazenil works!  (Read 47136 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Benzo free - flumazenil works!
« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2012, 05:37:26 am »
I am going to give a medical spin on this.  Prior to my benzo mess, I was an [...] in the trauma department at a large hospital in Dallas.  Knowing and understanding the chemical makeup of Flumazenil, I will give my experience with it.  Flumazenil works by stripping the GABA receptors of the drug.  We used it in the hospital for benzo overdose and alcohol poisoning.  It was used at the Urschel Clinic in Dallas Texas for benzo wd and alcohol wd.  It was clearied for continued use of alcohol withdrawal but not benzos.  Flumazenil is out there and being used in hospitals and very few  treatment centers.  I am only aware of one treatment center, in the United States, that is still using it for benzo wd.  Some centers use this drug under the name of Penta and it can cost as much as $25,000 with no guarantee. 

Most treatment centers will tell you that there is "NO" sure way to know if a person will have PAWS after this treatment and some studies have shown it to be no better than a cold turkey withdrawal leaving the CNS in a state of over stimulation. 

I am sure that some have used it with no problem.  Others have used it and have had to get back on their benzo and continue a slow taper. 

The medical community and rehab centers are aware of the dangers of benzo wd.  They are also aware of the hardships that many face in trying to taper off this class of medication.  Flumazenil has been out for many years now and if it proved to be effective, more treatment centers would be using it.  I am thrilled for [...] that she was able to use it effectively but it is not a first line treatment in the wd process of benzos.  As many of us know, slow and steady wins the race :-)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2012, 12:02:53 pm »
I am going to give a medical spin on this.  Prior to my benzo mess, I was an [...] in the trauma department at a large hospital in Dallas.  Knowing and understanding the chemical makeup of Flumazenil, I will give my experience with it.  Flumazenil works by stripping the GABA receptors of the drug.  We used it in the hospital for benzo overdose and alcohol poisoning.  It was used at the Urschel Clinic in Dallas Texas for benzo wd and alcohol wd.  It was clearied for continued use of alcohol withdrawal but not benzos.  Flumazenil is out there and being used in hospitals and very few  treatment centers.  I am only aware of one treatment center, in the United States, that is still using it for benzo wd.  Some centers use this drug under the name of Penta and it can cost as much as $25,000 with no guarantee. 

Most treatment centers will tell you that there is "NO" sure way to know if a person will have PAWS after this treatment and some studies have shown it to be no better than a cold turkey withdrawal leaving the CNS in a state of over stimulation. 

I am sure that some have used it with no problem.  Others have used it and have had to get back on their benzo and continue a slow taper. 

The medical community and rehab centers are aware of the dangers of benzo wd.  They are also aware of the hardships that many face in trying to taper off this class of medication.  Flumazenil has been out for many years now and if it proved to be effective, more treatment centers would be using it.  I am thrilled for [...] that she was able to use it effectively but it is not a first line treatment in the wd process of benzos.  As many of us know, slow and steady wins the race :-)

Intersting, thanks for posting [...], I am in between a rock and a hard place, for other medical reasons, I need to get off my benzo ASAP.  I was about 80% there in relation to undertaking the Flumazenil protocol in the next few weeks, but after reading this and some other info which was sent to me by another member, now I am really re-thinking the process.

What concerns me the most is that no one can give an exact explanation of 'how' it works, as I understand it, it clears the GABA- A receptors of the benzos and inhibits any futher uptake of benzos.  My biggest concern is that if you are slow to upregulate your GABA within the 12 hour time frame, what transpires then - the equivalent of a cold turkey?  No one can give me an 'absolute' in that respect. 

Staffy
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »
Thanks so much [...]. This medical description helps me to understand how this drug works to strip the brain of a drug such as benzos. [...] see how this would be a vital drug if someone has overdosed on a benzo, because it is so hard to find the right drugs to cross the blood-brain barrier. It sounds, from your description, that the effect on the brain itself would be the equivalent of a cold-turkey, if your definition of a cold turkey is to remove the offending drug from the system. The open question, therefore, seems to be how the brain and body will respond to that and if there is any protective property of flumazenil in relation to the removal of the benzo, which is the only way it could be better for the body than a straight cold turkey.

I am glad that [...] started this thread, as this is a drug that people should be aware of and it is good to get her perspective, because it worked for her.

I am so sorry your benzo mess has taken you out of administering a trauma center. I [...] you are managing through your withdrawal.

[Buddie]

« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2014, 06:08:15 pm »
Any updates [...]? or anything else concerning this?

[Buddie]

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:17 am »
Congrats

[Buddie]

« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:54 am »
Title should be lumazenil works for me!

[Buddie]

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2016, 10:01:05 pm »
I HAVE BEEN IN PROTRACTED WITHDRAWAL FOR OVER 3-1/2 years and keep getting worse ,so I am past desperate for relief ! How did you get this ,by injection,by a pill? I read that a pump is needed to keep it in your blood so that's not an option for me and Medicare would probably not pay. If there is a pill or a shot that one could get,than would it last for hours ,days or weeks ? Any info you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you !

[Buddie]

« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2018, 10:45:21 pm »
Problem in the case of [...] i think, is that she was also out on mirtazapine. That is a dirty variable in the treatment with flumazenil, because many people recover from benzos with mirtazapine alone.

[Buddie]

« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2018, 07:27:48 pm »
I live in Holland so I am going to find out.

[Buddie]

« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2018, 09:18:59 pm »
I did Dr. Coleman's treatment too.  It didn't really help much...or at least I didn't notice anything for months afterwards.  He is a very nice doctor and the office staff were amazing.  I did this in September 2016.  I started to feel a lot better in April 2017.  Not sure if his treatment sped up my healing?  It was expensive.