Author Topic: Benzo free - flumazenil works!  (Read 45620 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Benzo free - flumazenil works!
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 03:17:12 pm »
There are three major shortfalls of these studies.  First, they compare flumazenil to an extremely over rapid withdrawal schedule, not a slow taper.  I would expect a two week taper to be extremely difficult, so it is no surprise that flumazenil worked better .  Second, they don't follow up on protracted symptoms, which usually set in weeks or months after cessation.  Third, these studies do not claim that the flumazenil treated patients did not have withdrawal symptoms, only that they were more successful in remaining off the benzos.

It's very interesting and I am glad someone is doing research on the subject.  However, benzo withdrawal is a very long term process that involves repair and regeneration of many tiny neurons that were damaged by the drug use.  It would seem like a stretch to [...] that an antagonist could just undo all this damage in a few days and that it could even repair all the endocrine changes that cause many of the symptoms. 

Please keep us posted on your condition. 
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 05:38:11 pm »
Dear [...],
If you don't want to find a solution to your problem, be my guest! Nobody is forcing you to heal but don't destroy it for others.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 06:00:56 pm »
Dear [...],
If you don't want to find a solution to your problem, be my guest! Nobody is forcing you to heal but don't destroy it for others.

OK, [...].  I have suffered through 2 1/2 years of sometimes excruciating withdrawal symptoms and I am finally starting to feel better so please don't insult me by implying that I don't want to heal.  I am happy you are feeling good, but your single experience does not make this a safe option.  Go back and read my posts from two years ago.  I bragged on these very forums about how I was healed, then the protracted withdrawal set in and I have been sick ever since.  I also had arguments with the forum admins because I came on here touting what a miracle cure flumazenil might be.  I thought I had beaten the system.  But then I talked to a guy whose wife had committed suicide after trying flumazenil and being made much sicker.  I spoke to a doctotr at a clinic in Los Angeles who said they used to do this treatment and stopped using it for benzo patients because it was dangerous and generally resulted in very severe protracted side effects after a few weeks had passed.  I talked to another rep at the Coleman Institute who said that they used this treatment to get addicts off benzos quickly but that it did not prevent longer term withdrawal symptoms.  And I  I read multiple accounts from members on this board and other forums who said they had tried this route and all had either been made worse or experienced some relief without lasting effects (and had all spent money they didn't have to try this treatment).

I am not trying to crap on your success story and if this works for you, I think it is WONDERFUL.  However, I think it is fair to make the point that this is not a new miracle treatment.  It has been around for quite a while but has never become widely used because it doesn't work for most people and because it can be a very dangerous way to come off the drugs (which is why they have to substitute with other drugs to keep you from seizing).  And people going through painful withdrawals, especially those early on who are living with the fear of many months or years of illness, are very susceptible to believing in false promises.  It would be a shame for someone to abandon their taper and potentially go into financial difficulties to try a cold turkey method based on a single anecdotal success story and a couple of small studies without long term follow-ups.  That's the only point I am trying to make. 

Regarding "finding a solution to my problem," I have been way more proactive than most.  It took me a long time to accept what has happened to me and I thought that surely there were quick solutions out there.  I have tried just about every treatment there is - from expensive amino acid therapies to accupuncture to brain wave frequency balancing to neurofeedback to supplementation and beyond - and found that nothing has made a bit of difference (or has made me worse).  Time and clean living have been the only things that have helped and I have full faith that I am on my way to a complete recovery. 

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:17 pm »
Gefeliciteerd [...]. En dank u well for sharing.

Yeah, this would be a great study to pursue in the U.S. If one had been available, I would've investigated. Fortunately I'm all well now.

Great story!

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 11:51:46 pm »
Dear [...],

[...],

It's important to let all sides and opinions be expressed. Just because others may not agree doesn't mean they don't want to find a solution to their problem. It simply means that they want to address all aspects of this subject...which I think it the responsible thing to do regarding any medical treatment. Having an opinion that is different from yours isn't a personal shot at you, it's simply prudent to have a discussion from both ends of this topic.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:13:09 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 09:38:50 am »

[Buddie]

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:17 pm »
http://www.bcnc.org.uk/flumazenil.html

"Benefits from flumazenil generally started to be felt within a few minutes of drug administration and built up to a peak effect over a few hours (Table 2). Maximum relief usually lasted for the rest of the day with further partial relief for a few days. For most patients the benefit gradually faded but a few patients gave accounts of some symptoms returning more suddenly or forcefully the next day."

[Buddie]

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 03:36:19 pm »
Dear [...],

[...],

It's important to let all sides and opinions be expressed. Just because others may not agree doesn't mean they don't want to find a solution to their problem. It simply means that they want to address all aspects of this subject...which I think it the responsible thing to do regarding any medical treatment. Having an opinion that is different from yours isn't a personal shot at you, it's simply prudent to have a discussion from both ends of this topic.
[...],

That was very nicely worded and not how I would have liked to respond AT all lol.

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 03:38:35 pm »
Hey [...]. Congrats on feeling better. I come to this section of the site alot for all the inspiration that it brings. I'm glad you have this nightmare behind you now. I think different treatments, therapies, pills, yoga, cooking, ect work for different people. So I'm not doubting you. I mean some people can quit taking 4 mgs of Klonopin cold turkey and not have any w/d's. Why? Because everyone is different. I don't think people should come to your success story and doubt what your saying. Because they truly don't know. They just speak out of concern due to the fact your promoting something they may not work for others. As long as it worked for you that's all that matters.

Case in point. I remember I drank a GIANT margarita when I got out of detox at the airport. I needed something to calm myself down before I got on the plane. I didn't know that was a  big NO NO during benzo w/d. I didn't find this site till after I got home and I got sicker. Anyways that Giant margarita made me feel a whole hell of alot better. Well, at least for an hour it did. Then a hell broke loose. What I didn't do is come online and tell people to pretend like it was Cinco de Mayo and drink their way threw withdrawl. LOL

As long as your feeling good and functioning. Rock on. It just not wise to steer anyone one way or another when it comes to their health. I dont agree with the all the taper advise that is given out online either. Taper advise is medical advise IMO. Ive seen people suffer extreme w/d's from that as well. Ive seen other people quite cold turkey and heal quicker than people that taper. Yet they say don't do that. No one really knows. The advise you have about flumazenil is no different than the taper advise people get online. There both medical advise IMO. Which is suppose to be prohibited I thought? I guess some is OK and some isn't. LOL People have gotten extremely sick using both methods. Some have not. I [...] this is over for you and you live a great happy life. Thanks for the story.

Rock
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:11:50 pm by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 04:38:24 pm »
hi all, I just wanted to put my thoughts here about flumazenil. I have not tried it but probably would have a couple of years ago if I thought it would have helped. Personally now I'm afraid to try anything. It may be flumazenil is a fluoride based compound and that is why it works. ( if for only a short time) I'm not a chemist but the FLU in flumazenil tells me to beware. Fluoride compounds are the base of most antidepressants and some antiphsycotic drugs. It is used as a "binder" because it attaches to the gaba receptors. Prozac is 90% fluoride compounds. Fluoroquinolones are fluoride based antibiotics.  Nearly 30,000 people developed crippling s/x from cipro after the anthrax attacks in 2001. I've read about many people here having problems after taking fluoroquinolones. Sodium fluoride is in rat poison. If it is buffered or not it is still rat poison.  In the research I've done fibromyalgia, fluoride poisoning and benzodiazepine w/d all have identical s/x.
[...] we all love you and pray for your complete recovery. Please don't take this the wrong way but beware of doctors that provide a quick fix to these insidious drugs they hand out for profit.  I'm not saying it won't work for you because everyone is different, BUT beware and research everything you can find. [...]  http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fibromyalgia.html