Cipro and gaba?

[38...]

[38...]
I am taking cipro... something for three days for a uti i developed immediately following my first valium dose. Probably a coincidence, but still i am suuuper tired and couldnt work out yesterday. I read on askpatient, patient reviews... some website how HORRIBLE thisdrug is and it interacts with GABA. I'm not trying to freak out but i dont want this to sorta wave out my head as i'm crossing over. anyone know anything about this?

Hi wickedangel,

Some people have a hard time with Fluoroquinolone antibiotics, especially while withdrawing from benzos. You might want to read through this thread - http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=36633.msg519442#msg519442.

Also, as Shane suggested to do a search in the main forum. Can you use a different antibiotic?

I hope you're feeling better soon..

Star

DO NOT TAKE A QUINOLONE! IT RUINED MY LIFE!!! THEY ARE TOXIC! They stay in the tissues for YEARS. You think benzo w/d is bad? It's NOTHING compared to being floxed by a quinolone.

Quinolone reactions don't heal like benzo w/d does. Many of the horrible sxs are permanent.

www.saferpills.org

Stop taking it immediately! Reactions are often delayed (months). You may develop symptoms in teh coming months that are awful and no doctor will believe it's the cipro. Cipro ruined my life. Please please please stop taking it!!!!! No human being should have to go through what I have endured. I'm begging you to stop taking it immediately!

[38...]
yikes! So what wait... some were okay, others had horrible side effects. I read that. So go ask him for something else? This happened last time i had a uti, i got horrible sickening antibiotics. What should i request?

I moved your thread here since we're talking about antibiotics, but I wanted to tell you too that I had to take antibiotics during a hard part of my withdrawal and was given amoxicillin, I didn't have any real problems with it. I believe others have mentioned augmentin. I'd give your doctor a cal and talk with him though.

Be well, Star

[38...]
weird thing about that doctor was 1: he'snot my primary because i lost my card and they wont see me without it, and my insurance STILL hasn't mailed my replacement. and 2: i TOLD him about my benzo stuff, about the valium c/o asked what his opinion about equivelencies and he said when he gives people benzos or gets them off its better to use something like xanax!!! i was like oh boy... now this.. AND on top of that i got 600mg ibuprofen... an NSAID! wtfruit, i'll go tomorrow. so not take the dose tonight? wth is with doctors prescribing me shitty antibiotics.

I can't tell you to take it or not because he may have a very specific reason for prescribing that but I would double check and see if it would be precautionary to switch.

I had surgery in December and was prescribed Cipro.  Felt great for about 10 days after the surgery and then "BAM' -  the weird benzo withdrawal sx flare up after 2 years off.  Had no idea that Cipro would cause a problem.  I did some research and found this:

www.bcnc.org.uk/drugs.html

It seems hard to believe that these things would interact after being off benzos for so long but I have no other explanation.  Hopefully someone will read this and not make the same mistake. 

wth is with doctors prescribing me shitty antibiotics.

It's one of the more commonly used antimicrobials for treating UTIs.

Bad reactions are not common, and statistically they cause less complications than do a lot of the other antimicrobials (Wikipedia says ~9/10,000 prescriptions. This gives an individual an 0.09% chance of having a complication. So at the population level (meaning the population taken as a whole) they're statistically safe. Compare this to trimethoprim/sulfonamide (Bactrim), also frequently used to treat UTIs, which has an adverse event rate of 18.9/10,000 prescriptions, or a 0.19% chance of having a bad reaction. So Bactrim is over 2 times more likely to cause complications than fluoroquinolone. So statistically speaking, taking the Bactrim would be more dangerous than taking the Ciprofloxacin, for a person who ISN'T withdrawing.

For someone who's withdrawing from benzos, all those numbers go out the window, but I was just explaining why they would prescribe you a fluoroquinolone.

But for anyone in benzo withdrawal it's a bad idea to take it, and I would definitely stop taking it.

Those who are benzodiazepine-dependent or in benzodiazepine withdrawal have a higher rate of adverse severe CNS effects possibly due to fluoroquinolones' displacement of benzodiazepines from their receptor site or pre-existing GABA underactivity due to withdrawal, thus leading to an increased sensitivity to fluoroquinolone toxicity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_effects_of_fluoroquinolones

Be sure to remind your Doctor about the Benzo's. Doctors can be very busy and overlook how your CNS can be compromised.

Quinolones are neurotoxins...adverse reactions grossly underreported bc of delayed onset. Do not take it with an NSAID it quadrupled the chance of reaction. Reactions can be very delayed and you may not  know if you have one for months.

Google the flox report.

• 1 month later...

Lucky1

How long did the flare withdrawl side effects last or how long did it take for it to pass?

I was prescribed cipro for a infection and had a reaction at the end of my treatment. I had been off benzos since mid November after a short 2-3 week low dose use. I had have duty wd for about 4-5 days (Sever anxiety/depressed) and minimal other effects for a couple of weeks.

It's been 5 days since my last dose of cipro. Not as severe as the benzo wd but bothersome enough. I question my Dr when he prescibed stating I had benzo wd and that this type of antibiotic is bad news. He said since I was recovered from wd that I would be ok. As for any other potential "Floxed" symptoms...idk. Really had no problems taking it till the very end when the benzo like wd symptoms emerged. My joints pop all the time so just have to wait and see.....

Lucky1

How long did the flare withdrawl side effects last or how long did it take for it to pass?

I was prescribed cipro for a infection and had a reaction at the end of my treatment. I had been off benzos since mid November after a short 2-3 week low dose use. I had have duty wd for about 4-5 days (Sever anxiety/depressed) and minimal other effects for a couple of weeks.

It's been 5 days since my last dose of cipro. Not as severe as the benzo wd but bothersome enough. I question my Dr when he prescibed stating I had benzo wd and that this type of antibiotic is bad news. He said since I was recovered from wd that I would be ok. As for any other potential "Floxed" symptoms...idk. Really had no problems taking it till the very end when the benzo like wd symptoms emerged. My joints pop all the time so just have to wait and see.....

Reactions, especially the severe ones, can be delayed months later. Many of your symptoms may be non specific and you may not relate them to quinolones. You are playing Russian roulette my friend. Reactions don't get better, but worse, over time.  Tendon rupture, pain, anxiety, insomnia, dry eyes, retinal detachment, muscle twitching, endocrine problems, gastro problems, liver function pathways destroyed....and that's the tip of the iceberg. Everytime you take it you up your chances of a reaction.

Let me add it doesn't matter diddly squat if you are in benzo wd. The quinolones damage the gaba much worse. Joint popping is def from quiche cipro. My whole body sounds like rice krispies.

Cipro was the reason I went on benzos. One year post cipro and I'm not done with the acute stage of quinolone hell yet.....new sxs emerging, worse tendon pain, heart arrythmia.

It's a nightmare that won't go away.

DO NOT TAKE A QUINOLONE! IT RUINED MY LIFE!!! THEY ARE TOXIC! They stay in the tissues for YEARS. You think benzo w/d is bad? It's NOTHING compared to being floxed by a quinolone.

Quinolone reactions don't heal like benzo w/d does. Many of the horrible sxs are permanent.

www.saferpills.org

Tell me about it because I am still suffering since last summer.  I should have known better than to take it too.

There's a thread stickyed to the top of this section about them too.