Lyrica

[wa...]

My doctor offered me Lyrica to help me off of clonazepam.  I'm wondering if anyone used this med and if it helps to get off of the clonazepam.

Thanks for any input or help.  :)

I had a bad experience with Lyrica- trouble breathing.  I tried it before I was put on Benzos to help with nerve pain.  When the Lyrica failed they put me on Clonazepam- and here I am now.

That's just my experience.  Everyone is different.

good luck with your decision.

I never had any problems with Lyrica.

IMHO it didn't help because the anti-anxiey side effects of the pain medicine were something I couldn't feel. A good analogy would be a 12 pack a day beer drinker trying to stop by drinking only one Girly drink a day. Lol.

But seriously, that was before my jaw started hurting from the Klonopin withdrawal. And it is indicated for neurological pain, like Fibromyalgia.

Since Klonopin w/d can cause similar neurological symptoms, I do wonder if I could use it on - label. For neurological pain.

I will enjoy following this thread to see other's experience. I just wish I could figure out how to do wiithout computer access. Praise God for mobile devices! <insert emoticon for kinda good, kinda not, but still laughing, and that's GREAT!>

Personally I have had nothing but terrible experiences with gabapentin (Neurontin) which is closely related to Lyrica.  If you do try it be aware that you have to taper off of it just like a benzo when you want to quit.

prhiannon from what my doctor told me Lyrica is a cleaner drug than Neurontin because you take a lower amount.  He did tell me that he switched some patients from Neurontin to Lyrica and they did better and that they're different.  I still have the rx in my wallet but I'm not sure if I should pick it up. I haven't started titration yet.

Martian could you explain this?  I don't know if I understand it.

"IMHO it didn't help because the anti-anxiey side effects of the pain medicine were something I couldn't feel. A good analogy would be a 12 pack a day beer drinker trying to stop by drinking only one Girly drink a day. Lol. "

I think it means that you used it to help you get off pain meds but I'm not sure.

Thanks!

I have no experience with Lyrica, but I've read it potentiates benzodiazepines, which doesn't sound too helpful.

You can also use the search engine to see if others have had experience with it.

I did not use Lyrica for BZD w/d. It was Rx'd for FMS, which I did not have, so I came off of it. It is more potent than Neurontin. It potentiates BZDs by making them "stronger," if you will.

I had a very difficult time coming off of it. I had to water taper the last 25 mg slowly, and the w/d was very similar to BZD w/d although it isn't a BZD. I have a lot of health problems, so YMMV.

It is approved for neuralgia and FMS in the US and GAD in the UK. I would just investigate it a little more before you decide to take it. It might help with some of what you are going through, but there are probably safer alternatives that could also be better adjunctives for whatever specific symptoms you are having.

Best,

CB

No. I have never been on pain medication. I should have been more clear.

My doctor offered Lyrica to REPLACE klonopin. Do you see why IMHO it wasn't worth it? 15 years of Klonopin can not be replaced by Lyrica.

However, I never considered it as an ADDITION to medication. Now I would consider it as an ADDITION. I would not consider it as an abrupt replacement. I should have been more clear.

And now that I am tapering it considering it as an addition AS WELL as minor pain relief is something to consider. However, as I write this my jaw pain is much less.

According to my doctor, the anti-anxiety effects of Lyrica is a side-effect. Lyrica was originally a pain medicine for nuerological pain. Nuerological pain often accompanies Klonopin w/d, though not always. (it does with me).

I am a fan of listening to your doctor.

If you goal is to minimize anxiety either pre or during a taper, why not consider it? Your doctor thinks it's a good idea. I hope you let us know how it works out. My doctor also says I can have a script of Lyrica as an aid to withdrawal.

Just be aware that you will need to taper it when the time comes, if you take it.

Also I don't know about Lyrica, but Neurontin caused me to have severe problems with my memory.

I have no experience with Lyrica, but I've read it potentiates benzodiazepines, which doesn't sound too helpful.

You can also use the search engine to see if others have had experience with it.

Hello Shaneb

I don't know what potentiates means in this respect.  Can you explain it?  Does it mean it makes the benzodiazepine work better?

Thank you

want2boff