Amoxicillin vs. Bactrim Do they make w/d symptoms worse? which is least likely?

[1b...]

[1b...]

I have a urinary tract infection. I have an expired bottle of Bactrim & a new bottle of Amoxicillin I just got today. I know to stay away from Cipro so my doctor gave me Amoxicillin & told me to take some cranberry supplements with it. I'm just terribly afraid. I've taken absolutely nothing in almost 7 months time and this is the best I've felt yet. I don't want to set back healing or feel like crap again but I need to clear up this infection.

I've read that people had bad reactions to Bactrim & thought it brought back severe symptoms. That's why I discouraged my doctor from it and requested Amoxicillin. Now I read that Amoxicillin brought back symptoms in some people too. Does anyone know? I'm scared to ingest any kind of pill at all, even supplements.

Hi Kate6

About 4 months after my last klonopin, I got a uti and the Dr prescribed bactrim and I got anxious on it. Not horrible, but I did get anxious after 3 days, so I called the Dr and changed it to amoxicillin and had no problems with that. Bactrim works through the central nervouse system I found out. I also would take the most recent drug not some old drug that may not be good any longer and you dont have a full prescription for I would guess. Also, you should always finish your complete prescription of an antibotic, just as an FYI.

Good luck! I dont think you should have nay problems, but I do understand your aprehension.

MC

I was okay on amoxicillin, but 4 orl five glasses of cranberry juice for a few days might clear it up. Apparently it changes the pH of urine and bacteria don't grow well in it.

I've been on both and Augmentin, which is a stronger version of Amoxicillin.  Main thing is to add a probiotic to calm the tummy and replace good bacteria while on the antibiotic.  I like Culturelle (over the counter) but there are some cheaper ones that probably work well.

Vertigo

[1b...]

I took the AZO home test to screen for a UTI & both times it shows a trace which may or may not be an infection. I have the Amoxicillin but I'm still too afraid to take it. I read someone say it set them back after 10 months in w/d and took them another 3 months to recover. I don't have any pain, just a pressure on my bladder and the feeling like I have to go. It's been 24 hours now since I started feeling this.

Is Amoxicillin even effective for a UTI? If I have to eventually take it, will it even work? I'm absolutely terrified of setting myself back. I finally feel good after so much suffering and I'll be damned if I'm gonna be responsible for setting myself back with some stupid antibiotic. Taking the cranberry pills and praying for right now...

Bactrim and amoxicillin are used for two completely different types of infection, if i'm not mistaken.

Bactrim didnt do me bad at first, but started giving me some harsh side effects like severe sweating, and nausea, and the last few days I took it I had bad depression. After I stopped taking it, the depression subsided in 2 days. The Bactrim, however, DID NOT increase any of my regular benzo symptoms. If I had to choose between a bad infection or taking Bactrim, I wouldn't hesitate to take it again.

...............But, since Amoxicillin is an option, I have personally read more "good" stories about it than any other antibiotic.  ;)

[1b...]

Has anyone heard of something called Clear Tract, a D-Mannose supplement? It's an all-natural alternative to antibiotics (no side effects whatsoever and is stronger than cranberry), used for UTI treatment and prevention. It's supposed to bind to bacteria in the urinary tract and flush everything out upon urination. It can be purchased online thru Amazon (read reviews) I got mine at Whole Foods. It's supposed to provide relief within 48 hours and has about a 90% success rate. It's supposed to work even on a full infection with pain/burning, not just the onset of one. I still have NO pain or burning, just some pressure and bloating (Benzo Belly???). Still can't help but think it is Benzo belly and not an infection at all... If so, why would I take antibiotics that may or may not do something to set back my recovery??? The AZO home test I took only shows a "trace" of possible infection (which is supposed to be common) and is not positive for infection. The test is 98% accurate.

Could this D-Mannose possibly be an alternative for Benzo sufferers who can't take antibiotics because of potential side effects/interactions and who may have, or are getting a UTI? Not to mention frequent UTI sufferers who become resistant to antibiotics, or those who want to take a natural approach... Either way, I don't even want to chance taking an antibiotic as a preventative at this point. I'll keep everyone posted and any input is greatly appreciated. :laugh:

[1b...]

Went to a clinic yesterday to come to learn that I have a "moderate" or mild UTI. Needless to say that in theory, the Clear Tract D-Mannose supplements I tried seemed to be a great alternative to antibiotics for a urinary infection, but after 3 days DID NOT cure my mild infection. I've also come to learn that although Bactrim and Amoxicillin are 2 different types of antibiotics, they ARE both used to treat UTIs. Reading what I have about others' experiences with Bactrim reviving up anxiety and other symptoms, I started taking the Amoxicillin 24 hours ago. However, beginning tonight, I've been  experiencing agitation and some heart palpitations. I was fine until tonight. I don't know if it's an adrenaline-like feeling, but I feel on edge and foggy. I don't know if I'm imagining this or if I should reduce my dosage or stop taking it. I'm currently taking 3 a day.

Does anyone know if Macrobid makes w/d symptoms worse? The clinic doc gave me that as well, but I've read some bad things about that one too. I'm at a complete loss with this antibiotic fiasco for the past 6 days... Beyond frustrated >:(

Hello,

I have heard more good things about Amoxicillan than Bactrim.  I personally had to use Augmentin, which is a stronger

version of Amoxicillian.  It did give me loose stools which I used 1 Immodium per day to help with that.

But other than that I was fine.

I know this is a scary thing.  I am having issues with something else right now and wondering what the heck to do

because the normal script I will not take.

As you have an infection it does need to be addressed.  Perhaps you could try the natural remedies, however you many

sadly have to pick the lesser of two things and take the antibiotic for the infection.  Wouldn't want it to get worse.

I hope you find something that works for you and you get to feeling much better really soon.

I so know what you are going through this kind of stuff is so scary, and I'm so sorry you are going through this.  :(

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing.

*Hugs*    :hug:

Tink

[1b...]

Thanks Tink. This stuff is really scary. After feeling like I drank 5 cups of coffee last night, I slowly felt the jittery, wound-up, unsettled feeling start to lessen a bit, but my heart was still palpitating. I took the Amoxicillin for 24 hours and I firmly believe it excited my CNS enough for me to feel like that. Never had a prob with it pre-Benzo.

So, against my better judgement w/ taking antibiotics, I stopped taking it and am trying still to calm down. I did have one AZO home test left and it came out completely negative this time. No infection. Not even a trace. Gonna keep my antibiotics on hand, keep taking my cranberry for a while and test again in a few days.